Is this foolish?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by sparknote_s, Jul 6, 2005.

1. sparknote_s

sparknote_s New Member

I want to race next weekend, but have no transportation. The race course is 25 miles from my house. Would it be crazy to ride 25 miles to the race, and 25 miles back home? Have you ever done anything like that before?

Thanks.

Oh, and its a 30 mile road race.

Tags:

2. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

It could be like a pre-race warmup, but I have a feeling you'll have down time between when you arive and when the race starts (getting your number, etc). Are there any mad climbs on the way to the race?

3. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

It's what they always used to do. But you don't use your racing wheels for the commute, you need a way to carry them and switch when you arrive.

4. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

It wasn't a race, but when I lived in Hawaii I did the Oahu perimeter ride. It was about a 125 mile ride, and I rode the 10 miles to the start and rode home after the finish. Wow, was I tired. Pace yourself on the ride there. I do think your race speed might suffer, but are you in it to enjoy yourself or only win?

5. saviourag

saviourag New Member

I did this sort of thing but it was for a marathon not a race so it didn't matter who came in first. But for a race it puts you at a clear disadvantage.
    If there is no other option, be sure to get there some hours before the race starts so you'd have gained your strength back and take it easy.

6. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

Are you a Monty Python fan, then?

7. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

"I wave my private parts are your aunties."

Maybe a little OT but, I find it amusing that people will drive two or three miles to a trailhead, then ride their bikes. With the price of gas, I've been looking for a good horse to supplement the bike.

8. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

The 25 miles out should be a good warm up if you keep the pace easy. You're probably going to be hurting on the way back though.

9. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

I have many times seen people drive many miles at high speed along a motorway to reach a remote location in order to ride their bikes. A waste of riding time and petrol.
    London is really quiet right now. Creepy.

10. jessmcph

jessmcph New Member

i drive to an area where i can ride usually but i would prefer not to. I live in an area where on the few occasions i've ridden from my house i usually have some moron try to run me off the road so i would rather ride where cyclists are more common and thus cars are more aware. I would love to live in a nice enough nieghborhood that i wouldn't be stoned for riding but i keep spending all my cash on bikes and driving to a trailhead is popular here.