Is this going to do my body/heart any damage?

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
In the town where i live there are 4 exit roads linking the town to the rest of the surrounding area. 2 are busy flat main roads and two are rural hilly roads. The best of these roads is an instant climb of about 8km in length and is very steep in parts. When i leave my house i reach this road within 3 mins of riding and when i start to ascend it my heart rate goes anywhere from 150 up close to its max >180 (which is normal for such a climb) but what i want to know is: Is it good for my body/lungs/heart to be climbing straight away and stressing my heart within 3 minutes of starting out on a 2-3 hours ride?

I am worried that i need to warm up my heart (if thats possible), i dont suffer heart pains or tightness or anything.

This is the best road in the area and leads to some spectacular country and open hilltop roads. I love it.

MountainPro said:
In the town where i live there are 4 exit roads linking the town to the rest of the surrounding area. 2 are busy flat main roads and two are rural hilly roads. The best of these roads is an instant climb of about 8km in length and is very steep in parts. When i leave my house i reach this road within 3 mins of riding and when i start to ascend it my heart rate goes anywhere from 150 up close to its max >180 (which is normal for such a climb) but what i want to know is: Is it good for my body/lungs/heart to be climbing straight away and stressing my heart within 3 minutes of starting out on a 2-3 hours ride?

I am worried that i need to warm up my heart (if thats possible), i dont suffer heart pains or tightness or anything.

This is the best road in the area and leads to some spectacular country and open hilltop roads. I love it.

if you're worried about it, just take the climb real easy to start with

ric

If in doubt, it never hurts to take a few minutes to warm up before you set out. Routinely starting cold on a hard climb is a great formula for injuries if nothing else. I have a similar situation at the start of my standard ride. I stretch and even ride a trainer for a before tackling the climb. But anything that gets my heart rate up before the shock of the climb does the trick.

I know from experience that heart rate can be reduced by climbing in lower gears. There are hills I can climb in bigger gears, getting very breathless and hills I can get up on my third ring, much easier.
You might consider either lowering your cassette or using a triple chain ring. These days I swear by triple systems as wide ranges of gears cater to every need.
Climb in very low gears to start off and then work up as you gain confidence.

MountainPro said:

I imagine your heart is pretty much always warmed up. Personally it's everything else I'd be concerned about - joints, muscles, that sort of thing - particularly during the colder months.

Mark

Thanks guys, i'll take all your points into consideration...i may do 10 mins on the mag trainer before i go out.

Man, this sounds like one of those reading comprehension questions from the A.C.T......

..if 2 trains are leaving NYC at the same time, in opposite directions....one traveling at 50 mph, while the other is traveling at 75 mph....etc...

IF IT HURTS OR IF YOU'RE CONCERNED...........STOP

Worrying about it is stressful enough to cause more damage than the actual workout.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Man, this sounds like one of those reading comprehension questions from the A.C.T......

Man, and this sounds like the forum jackass.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
IF IT HURTS OR IF YOU'RE CONCERNED...........STOP
it doesnt hurt, well apart from the usual effort required to climb such a hill, as for being concerned, well that why i asked the more experienced riders...

if your attitude is to give up as soon as you have to exert a little effort then maybe you should take up golf as a sport...****

Yeah, it's a valid question, I think. If you're a beginner and you push yourself hard uphill a few minutes into the ride you may feel nauseous. If you take more time to warm up before you hit the hill, the nausea might not be so acute.
I used to cycle back from work at 6.00 a.m. in the morning and, seeing as my goal was to get home as quick as possible, I rode fairly hard. I would get back home soaked in sweat and sometimes find myself heaving (though I was never sick or anything).
But to answer your question, the stress and burn you should feel on a climb should be controlled to a sensible limit. If you find yourself absolutely gasping, stop and take in a few deep breaths before resuming the ride.

MountainPro said:
it doesnt hurt, well apart from the usual effort required to climb such a hill, as for being concerned, well that why i asked the more experienced riders...

if your attitude is to give up as soon as you have to exert a little effort then maybe you should take up golf as a sport...****

Personally I wouldn't start any intense exercise without a proper warmup, so I'd either ride around a bit before hitting the hill, or take it easy for the first 10-20 minutes.

Carrera, nausea/heavy breathing are likely just signs of having passed your ventilation threshold and having lots of lactic acid in your blood. Depending on your goals and training plan, I think it is sometimes quite appropriate to train in this region.

zaskar said:
He must be a golfer, because he's so proud to advertise his junky ass 1000 he can't be a cyclist.
Ouch, what a diss! I don't even have as much as a trek 1000.

Kaken: Better not advertise that here. If you don't have a better bike than a Trek 1000, you'll get dissed....or is that "if you don't act like you have a better bike than a 1000?" I think Zaskar is a POSER. I read back through a previous thread of his and he was recently looking a an $849 frame (but claims to have a $6000 bike) and *****ing about his lazy girlfriend. Whata guy.

Scott'sTrek1000 said:
Kaken: Better not advertise that here. If you don't have a better bike than a Trek 1000, you'll get dissed....or is that "if you don't act like you have a better bike than a 1000?" I think Zaskar is a POSER. I read back through a previous thread of his and he was recently looking a an $849 frame (but claims to have a $6000 bike) and *****ing about his lazy girlfriend. Whata guy.

You diss people for askin a ligit question, i diss you for advertising your 1000. so you can give it out but can't recieve? don't cry. and by the way, id rather have a lazy girlfriend then a lazy boyfriend.

Nice one. I can dish and receive. You opened yourself up to more by dissing my ride. I/and my bike are still waiting for our apology. My bike is very hurt.

i dont own a road bike but i put in many road miles on my mtb every month. Its an LX/XT equipped XC racer British hand made bike with American Easton Elite. worth about £700.00. Not top of the range by any means. I have been looking for an entry level road bike and was considering a '04 Trek 1000 (among others) ... how good is it?