Is this homemade protein bar recipe good?

When you are riding you aren't burning protein - you're burning carbs. So there's two things you would probably want to avoid - protein which digests slowly and any artificial sweeteners which your body doesn't know what to so with and so turns directly into a belly fat. So a bar composed of natural sugars including regular sucrose and using nuts only for flavoring. Almond or Soy milk can give you stomach problems such as a lot of stomach acid which can be belched up into your esophagus are to be avoided as well. A Payday bar is actually about as good as anything. And the price is right. Not to mention the preparation time.

When you are riding you aren't burning protein - you're burning carbs. So there's two things you would probably want to avoid - protein which digests slowly...

Protein actually also slows the digestion of carbs. A little protein is ok, but yes you want carbs for a ride. However the OP didn't state that they were talking pre-ride nutrition...maybe they're just looking for a healthy snack?

If you just want to up your protein overall, one of the easiest ways to do that is just mix up some oatmeal with little bits of fruit in it and a little nut milk to bring it to a pastey consistency.

You cover that in coconut flour because coconut flour is high fiber and this thing is a pain to digest. Literally just get a pyrex baking pan thing, coat the bottom with coconut flour, pour it over with your oat+nutmilk(walnut ideal but they'll all do)+fruit mix and cover it again with the coconut flour.

You do wanna take it easy on the milk though, pastey and not soupy. Eat them after you've had water, but not exactly with water ideally. Shouldn't cost you more than like 10~30 cents for about a 300 calorie slowburner.

When you are riding you aren't burning protein - you're burning carbs. So there's two things you would probably want to avoid - protein which digests slowly and any artificial sweeteners which your body doesn't know what to so with and so turns directly into a belly fat. So a bar composed of natural sugars including regular sucrose and using nuts only for flavoring. Almond or Soy milk can give you stomach problems such as a lot of stomach acid which can be belched up into your esophagus are to be avoided as well. A Payday bar is actually about as good as anything. And the price is right. Not to mention the preparation time.

Interesting. I always ate protein bars while riding, and I didn't know it was bad. I guess you learn something new everyday!

When you refer to Payday bars, are they those chocolate bars you get at the grocery store?

Protein actually also slows the digestion of carbs. A little protein is ok, but yes you want carbs for a ride. However the OP didn't state that they were talking pre-ride nutrition...maybe they're just looking for a healthy snack?

Healthy snacks that taste good are always great! :)

I was talking mostly about while riding and pre ride. Where should I get be getting my carbs from while riding?

Interesting. I always ate protein bars while riding, and I didn't know it was bad. I guess you learn something new everyday!

When you refer to Payday bars, are they those chocolate bars you get at the grocery store?
Yes. And remember that it take approximately an hour to get into your bloodstream so you have to snack before you think you need it. I normally just stop for coffee and a muffin but since it takes so long to get into my system I don't get a boost until the last 5 miles from my home.

Best way to up your protein intake is to eat healthy whole foods like eggs, chicken, beef. Make sure you are getting meat that are high quality and not fed a bunch of antibiotics and hormones and garbage, but it's really not going to cost you much more to eat meat than to eat fancy protein bars that are almost certainly not going to be as healthy because they are full of protein isolates and highly processed ingredients.

It's also best to eat protein after exercise, not right before. Eat a balanced meal of complex carbs with smaller amounts of healthy fats and proteins before so that you can digest it easily and use it for fuel.

Reactions: Corzhens
Healthy snacks that taste good are always great! :)

I was talking mostly about while riding and pre ride. Where should I get be getting my carbs from while riding?
I agree with you. Snacks tastes amazing. I think that you should get the carbs from the same.

If you want to gain some weight then it's okay to take protein bars. What's important is that it taste good to you. No sense of eating protein bars that tastes funny right? There are some protein bars out in the market that tastes awful while some are super sweet, if you're going to buy one, find a bar that suits your taste. I havent tried making one.

I think it depends on what you're eating. Some protein bars in stores are okay while others are not so good. But I prefer homemade recipes because you get to choose your own ingredients.

It really depends on what you need it for, I mean is it for riding? Or is it for muscle mass building? You have to remember that protein bars are really insignificant when it comes to cycling because it burns very slow what you need are carbs for fuel.

Best way to up your protein intake is to eat healthy whole foods like eggs, chicken, beef. Make sure you are getting meat that are high quality and not fed a bunch of antibiotics and hormones and garbage, but it's really not going to cost you much more to eat meat than to eat fancy protein bars that are almost certainly not going to be as healthy because they are full of protein isolates and highly processed ingredients.

It's also best to eat protein after exercise, not right before. Eat a balanced meal of complex carbs with smaller amounts of healthy fats and proteins before so that you can digest it easily and use it for fuel.

I also prefer natural foods to provide me with protein instead of the pills, supplements or even that protein bar. Pardon me for saying that. Who can dispute the fact that steak is nice to eat? And the hamburger and fries which is considered junk food, don't you love to eat them for the taste and not exactly for the protein? With the carbs, we are rice eaters so there is no issue with that. It's only the protein that is sometimes lacking in our diet because meat is expensive.