Is this normal? "Valves"

Sparrow421

Oct 12, 2014
So i am by no means an expert on bicycles but i ordered a tube for my bike thinking i was just getting an average tube but learned the hard way today there is more than just the standard "schrader valve" apparently what i got is a "presta valve" but i am a little confused here. All of the presta valves i have seeing online have a thing that pops up and allows air to be released but they always say "it doesn't come all the way out" well mine does.... I took some pictures of the valve today and i need to know if this is broken or not. (the green stuff is from the slime tube that i ordered)

I need my bike up and running by Friday so a fast answer would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Wared1933
i also grabbed a box by accident on the prestas when I needed shrader. I think the little plug on top unscrews if you turn it hard enough. I believe they just have a stop. would not be too concerned if you able to re install it carefully without stripping the threads.

The pictures aren't that great, but that doesn't look like presta, that looks like a Dunlop valve

Here's a pic:

http://bikeoption.com/img/types_valves.jpg

I appreciate the replys. Like i said i needed it up and running by this friday, i went to walmart looking for an adapter and the guy told me that more are stolen than sold so they dont stock them very often so i just grabbed another tube with a schrader valve. I guess i will go ahead and order the adapter and toss the tube in the back tire.

Are these dunlop valves reliable? I don't want to go put it in my bike and get half way down the road just to have a flat tire again.

Sparrow421 said:
Are these dunlop valves reliable?
The version you seem to have, with a short section of piping pushed over the valve core to act as one-way valve, isn't that great. The ones with an ball valve are easier to inflate and are more resistant to ageing.

Quote by Sparrow421:
"...so i just grabbed another tube with a schrader valve."

Good choice.

"I guess i will go ahead and order the adapter and toss the tube in the back tire."

Might as well. I'm pretty certain the Dunlop adater will also work with the much more common Presta valves if you ever use that style.

Have fun riding today. It's 18° this morning in Ohio with more snow in the forecast. My riding will be limited to the trainer in the basement.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB

Have fun riding today. It's 18° this morning in Ohio with more snow in the forecast. My riding will be limited to the trainer in the basement.

Ooooh no, not agaaaaaain.
big-smile.png

It's 16 C here and clear.
big-smile.png

It's been right around 29 F here over the last week...that's...uh...minus 1.1 Yuro degrees to you folks on the East Coast of the Atlantic Ocean. Today it got up to around 60 F...about 15 Yuros worth of heat. All the melting snow and runoff water made it kind of a pain to get a good workout in, but anything's better than being stuck in the basement on the trainer. Just a light base layer with a short sleeve jersey over it and light long finger gloves and I actually felt a little over-dressed on the climbs. If Ohio were like this all winter I could actually retire here. Sadly, Global Warming...er...Climate Change™ has brought the Impending Ice age to this area and with our scientists about ready to clone the Wooly Mammoth back to life I am going to join JH in the somewhat warmer state of Tenn. and learn to drink bourbon instead of rum.

It's about 50 F all day here... But it's dry. It's warmer if it rains...

Tennessee? Why not San Tropez?
big-smile.png

Looks nicer then New York at least...
big-smile.png
Is it still like that there???

Buffalo, New York State got something like 2 to 3 meters of snow in a week. But, it sounds like more when we say 6 to 9 feet. Now that it has warmed up there is a danger of flooding and fat tire bikes will be the only was to shuffle off to Buffalo this year.

The good news is that bicycle crashes will be less injurious as speeds will be well below 5 MPH...if you can even find a road under the snow.

Ohio, by contrast, is looking good by comparison. We only had 3"-4" of snow so far...10 Cm maybe...and that has 95% melted away in two days of warm weather.

Looks like a nice place to be drinking pints on Monday morning working...
big-smile.png
Or do they pick up the employees with a snowcat?
big-smile.png

From Cleveland to Erie to Buffalo the people are used to dealing with living in The Great White North.

I don't want to get used to it and Cube's videos of cycling on Majorca are more to what I think the idea winter climate should be. Southern California weather is nice and the cycling scene is fantastic, but the state is fubar with illegals, libtardism and a sky high cost of living. The perfect spot for my redneck self seems to be somewhere near Kentucky, Tennessee, the Carolinas or Georgia. Decent weather. Good ol' boys. Lots of guns. Fairly decent road network. Good spot to set up a base to travel from.

A friend of mine from Uni moved back to Bermuda... Which seems to be quite nice for cycling as well as swimming, snorkelling, slacking, etc.
big-smile.png
Plus they speak Inglish!
big-smile.png

Crete is quite nice in the winter too...
smile.png

Allthough Crete is full with illegal guns, or so they say, they are actually illegal.

If I could choose between Crete, Bermuda or Kentucky, I would'nt move to Kentucky so I can also have a gun...
big-smile.png
Shotguns are still Ok.
big-smile.png