Is this overtraining?

roger89

May 29, 2005
hello all,

Weeks ago, I went up this long and steep hill. It was the furthest and highest I've ever cycled ever in my life. I had a great time and was tired. Then the next morning, I woke up with a vomiting feeling in my chest-stomach-throat area, dizzy, and head pain. It happened right after my alarm bell rang. After few massages to my head and went thru that uncomfortable feeling, it just got better and throughtout the day I was fine but not yet completely OK. I experienced no aches in my legs and other part of my body. The day after that I was fine. So I want to know, is this due to overtraining? If not, what could it be?

Thanks.

roger89 said:
hello all,

Weeks ago, I went up this long and steep hill. It was the furthest and highest I've ever cycled ever in my life. I had a great time and was tired. Then the next morning, I woke up with a vomiting feeling in my chest-stomach-throat area, dizzy, and head pain. It happened right after my alarm bell rang. After few massages to my head and went thru that uncomfortable feeling, it just got better and throughtout the day I was fine but not yet completely OK. I experienced no aches in my legs and other part of my body. The day after that I was fine. So I want to know, is this due to overtraining? If not, what could it be?

Thanks.
I'm no doc, but it sounds like you pushed things a little too far. It depends on how hard you attacked the hill. If you went full whack, you might have overworked some muscles which might have caused the vomiting feeling and a dizzy sore head is usually the result of not drinking enough. Remember, drink little and often. If it happens again though, I'd go see the doc straight away just to be sure.

roger89 said:
hello all,

Thanks.

No idea what it is, other than it ain't overtraining. Overtraining is defined as too much chronic training, that leads to an unexplained and continual underperformance (hence, it's now often called "Unexplained underperformance syndrome").

Even where researchers have tried to establish what overtraining is, and had subjects *double* the amount of training they do, subjects have not become overtrained, leading some researchers to even question whether overtraining actually exists.

In general to be overtrained, you'd have to be classified as showing a continual and unexplained decrease in performance that doesn't go away in a short space of time.

If you are at all concerned with your health, and this question suggests that you are then you should visit your family doctor and get them to clarify what, if anything, is wrong with you. Although, based on what you have written it isn't overtraining.

Diagnosis by internet isn't the way forward for your health!

Ric

My friend told me it's ok. It's just my fitness level increasing(lungs and heart expanding). Does that makes sense to anyone and is it true?

Nausea might be related to stiff neck muscles, overstressed by stiff on one episode of rough climbing.

How high was the hill. Really struggling here but maybe it was altitude sickness. We don't really get mountains high enough to worry about it in Australia so I don't even know if these are the symptoms. Just a stab in the dark.

roger89 said:
hello all,

Thanks.
Suggest you get a general check-up.

roger89 said:
My friend told me it's ok. It's just my fitness level increasing(lungs and heart expanding). Does that makes sense to anyone and is it true?

First: See a doctor.

Second: I once initiated a similar thread on this forum. Two days after a century ride I would suffer...nausea, aches (not specific muscular), lethargy; basically just felt sick. I got the usual response - hydration. I never did actually determine the cause. Over time, the symptoms have decreased. The only difference now is that I will take a two to six salt tablets during the century (each being 8% of daily allowance) and take Endurox immediately after the ride. My focus on hydration has always been fine. I don't know that these actions have fixed the problem, or, two years and 23 century rides have moved me passed that phase.

Anyway, stick with the riding and experiment with different harmless supplemental remedies.

roger89 said:
hello all,

Thanks.
R89 - Which hill was it?
Regards,
Eoin

Hey Eoin! Great to see you again :)

I went up Genting Highlands till the Buddhist temple. Starting point is infront of the Hosp Orang Asli Gombak then cycled on Genting Sempah route. I did not ride with a group or Joo Ngan's group. Just alone although I know it's not recommended :).

roger89 said:
Hey Eoin! Great to see you again :)

I went up Genting Highlands till the Buddhist temple. Starting point is infront of the Hosp Orang Asli Gombak then cycled on Genting Sempah route. I did not ride with a group or Joo Ngan's group. Just alone although I know it's not recommended :).
G'day, R89. It's a good climb up Genting (I used to ride my fixed-wheel up there from Ampang). Genting's not high enough for altitude sickness. I'm in agreement with earlier suggestions that you were probably dehydrated. As was suggested, small amounts of water often is the solution. On a ride like that, do "opportunity" drinking - because some sections are fairly steep, take a drink wherever you can, even if you don't particularly want to.
Did you have a good ride coming back down? On a fixed-wheel the ride down is just as tiring as the ride up! Even if you were on your own, you probably saw plenty of other riders out there. Are you getting a few rides in now? There's another good ride we used to do over the back to the big lake East of Ampang (I forget the name) - plenty of small hills and good, quiet roads.
Keep peddling.
Eoin

Eoin, I guess it should be the Ulu Yam or Ulu Langat for the east of Ampang right?

I did not come down by bike. Dad pick me up from the Buddhist temple.

Hey Eoin, Do you have friends or any info of anyone who wants to sell their road bike? My budget is around RM2k..

roger89 said:
Eoin, I guess it should be the Ulu Yam or Ulu Langat for the east of Ampang right?

I did not come down by bike. Dad pick me up from the Buddhist temple.

Hey Eoin, Do you have friends or any info of anyone who wants to sell their road bike? My budget is around RM2k..
R89 - Time for an old Confuscian Saying - Smart Man gets Dad to drive him to top and rides bike down hill! :D
I think it may be out Ulu Langat. I know we used to head South down Ulu Kelang from Ampang for a few km and then go left up into the hills. On the way back, we would drop down into the top of Jln Ampang, coming over a hill from the South. I haven't got my map with me. If I find it, I'll tell you exactly where we used to ride. Used to see plenty of other riders out there, too.
If you're looking for a bike, check with Joo Ngan. He'll help line you up with a good deal on a 2nd hand road bike and he'll make sure that it fits. Just tell him what you want and what your budget is. If he doesn't have anything himself, he'll know if anyone else is selling. Listen to his advice - it's all good.

Eoin, I don't like buying things from Joo Ngan's shop becuse his goods are overpriced compared to other bike shops in KL..

/booking vacation in KL/
/getting towstrap to wife's bike/
/getting oxigen tank on wife's bike/

roger89 said:
hello all,

Thanks.
It's obvious what the problem is here - you said it yourself:

"It happened right after my alarm bell rang."

It's the alarm clock. The same thing happens to me every weekday (especially Mondays). Just turn it off and lie in for a couple of hours, or if possible, take the day off work. That always seems to do the trick for me. :D

roger89 said:
hello all,

Thanks.
I felt like that last Sunday morning. I was out with the girls the night before and woke up next to a sodomising pervert who had obviously done unspeakable things to me!

JennyWetThighs said:
I felt like that last Sunday morning. I was out with the girls the night before and woke up next to a sodomising pervert who had obviously done unspeakable things to me!
Ah, so you've met Kameron then?

roger89 said:
Eoin, I don't like buying things from Joo Ngan's shop becuse his goods are overpriced compared to other bike shops in KL..
Maybe so on components, but check with him on used road bikes. He's got a stack of them upstairs. Also check with the others on the Sunday morning rides in case any of them are upgrading.