Is this race distance reasonable?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by nospam, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    > *something* to set it apart from the plethora of other runs in the area
    > (last
    > weekend, for instance, there were 10 5Ks on Saturday and a
    > few other races on Sunday). <<
    >
    > I don't know why one of these races that are scheduled for the same
    > day as
    > a jillion other races doesn't try altering the distance slightly - say a
    > four-miler or a five-miler - to separate themselves from the crowd.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > --

    I think 8K, 5 milers and 10 milers are excellent distances as is the 15K (a
    person favorite of mine). <<

    I like 10 milers and 15Ks, too, but I can understand why these are less
    common as they're not going to appeal to the numbers that the shorter distances
    will. Four- and five-milers wouldn't be as intimidating so the race will still
    attract some casual runners as well as race-addicted people who were tired of
    weekly 5Ks.

    Mike

  2. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "M1ahearn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I think 8K, 5 milers and 10 milers are excellent distances as is the
    > 15K (a
    > person favorite of mine). <<
    >
    > I like 10 milers and 15Ks, too, but I can understand why these are
    > less
    > common as they're not going to appeal to the numbers that the shorter
    > distances
    > will. Four- and five-milers wouldn't be as intimidating so the race
    > will still
    > attract some casual runners as well as race-addicted people who were
    > tired of
    > weekly 5Ks.

    To get people out of the 5/10K rut our running club hosts a Grand Prix
    series of races that start at 1 mile, 4 mile 5 mile, 15k, 20k,10 miles
    and up to and including a 1/2 marathon. In order to score points and get
    the brass ring you need to do both sprints and endure. Obviously
    constructed to minimize any biasness. This forced sharing has opened a
    few eyes. ;)

    -Doug

  3. On 2004-10-27, Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote:

    > To get people out of the 5/10K rut our running club hosts a Grand Prix
    > series of races that start at 1 mile, 4 mile 5 mile, 15k, 20k,10 miles
    > and up to and including a 1/2 marathon. In order to score points and get
    > the brass ring you need to do both sprints and endure. Obviously
    > constructed to minimize any biasness. This forced sharing has opened a
    > few eyes. ;)

    Our annual team comp includes 4 and 5 mile races, as well as some half marathons
    and the marathon. I wish they'd include the mile, but they don't.

    We have more of a 4/5 mile rut here (though there are also several decent half
    marathons during the year too), because those are the distances that best suit
    the geography of central park.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    >> To get people out of the 5/10K rut our running club hosts a Grand Prix
    series of races that start at 1 mile, 4 mile 5 mile, 15k, 20k,10 miles and up
    to and including a 1/2 marathon. In order to score points and get the brass
    ring you need to do both sprints and endure. Obviously constructed to minimize
    any biasness. This forced sharing has opened a few eyes. ;) <<

    Running clubs tend to be a little different around here, too. Both the
    Cross Country Club of Dallas and the Ft. Worth Runners Club have monthly races
    that go through a variety of distances. Of course, they are targeted towards
    people who will identify themselves more as runners, as opposed to casual
    runners. But what I'm referring to is this:

    Oct 30 0800 RUN FOR THE HILLS 5K, Eagle Mountain Country Club, Fort Worth

    Oct 30 0900 TCOM DO DASH 5K / KIDS' 1K, TCOM Campus, 3500 W. Camp Bowie at
    Montgomery, Fort Worth

    Oct 30 0900 FOUR SEASONS COOL 5K / 1 MILE, Four Seasons Resort & Club, 4150
    N. MacArthur, Las Colinas, Irving

    Oct 30 0800 LIVIN' IT LOUD 5K / 1 MILE, Shops At Legacy, Legacy & The
    Tollway, Plano

    Oct 30 0900 HUBBARD ROCK'N'RUN 5K / 1 MILE, Harry Myers Park, downtown
    Rockwall

    Oct 30 0800 PLANO PACERS 5K / JR .7 MILE SPRINT, Bob Woodruff Park, Plano

    Those are the DFW-area races for this Saturday. I'll probably do one of
    them although right now I haven't a clue as to which one. Of there were a
    four- or five-miler in the pack, though, chances are that my decision would be
    much easier.
    Last Saturday would be an even better example - there were nine races, all
    5Ks.

    Mike

  5. M1ahearn

    M1ahearn Guest

    >> We have more of a 4/5 mile rut here (though there are also several decent
    half
    marathons during the year too), because those are the distances that best suit
    the geography of central park. <<

    Coincidentally, I've run two races in Central Park and one was a
    four-mile, the other a five-mile. Also, I should have looked at the local
    calendar a little closer - there's a four-mile in Ft. Worth on November 6.
    That's the same weekend as the Dallas Half Marathon or CCCD The Half or
    whatever the hell its official name is.

    Mike

  6. > Running clubs tend to be a little different around here, too. Both the
    >Cross Country Club of Dallas and the Ft. Worth Runners Club have monthly races
    >that go through a variety of distances. Of course, they are targeted towards
    >people who will identify themselves more as runners, as opposed to casual
    >runners.

    True. IMHO the glut of 5Ks comes from wanting to attract a large-ish
    field, especially in the charity runs, and they don't want to scare
    off the more casual folks who consider 3 miles and change quite
    enough, thank you.

    The preponderance of 5Ks in Texas is understandable in the summer,
    when no one in their right mind would run hard for any farther than
    that. But here it is late October, and there's naught else to be seen.
    My marathon plan calls for "tune-up" races of at least 8K, and last
    weekend I couldn't find one.

    > Last Saturday would be an even better example - there were nine races, all
    >5Ks.

    I counted 10. It does tend to dilute the fields, so age-group awards
    are easier to collect. For whatever that's worth.

    --
    Brian P. Baresch
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA

    If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill