Is this safe? (vert. dropouts

frenk

Jun 28, 2003
Hi everybody,
I'm finishing my single speed project :D and I have a question.
The frame has vertical dropouts but they allow a bit of adjustment.
Now, to get the chain tension right, I have to insert the hub only partially in the dropouts.

You can see some pictures here: http://www.frenk.com/tmp/dropout/sp_index.php (the big ones are very big!)

I feel it solid: the wheel cannot slip or move and since the dropouts have an adjustment screw I assumed this was a good solution.
Anyway before hitting the road I wanted some advice from more experienced people. Do you think it's safe to ride it that way? I only use it as single speed, i.e. at the moment I don't have a fixed hub (that's also why it has a quick release).

TIA,
Francesco

frenk said:
Hi everybody,
Now, to get the chain tension right, I have to insert the hub only partially in the dropouts.

You can see some pictures here: http://www.frenk.com/tmp/dropout/sp_index.php (the big ones are very big!)

I feel it solid: the wheel cannot slip or move and since the dropouts have an adjustment screw I assumed this was a good solution.
Anyway before hitting the road I wanted some advice from more experienced people. Do you think it's safe to ride it that way? I only use it as single speed, i.e. at the moment I don't have a fixed hub (that's also why it has a quick release).

TIA,
Francesco
Looks safe to me.
Are you using a narrow chain on a single speed?
Here's an idea:- find an old chain that has worn a bit (but not worn out). It will be a bit longer than a new one and will allow you to move the wheel back just enough to fit further into the dropouts, which will give you more confidence. A single speed has better alignment and greater wrap around than a derailier, so the chain should not slip and will last a while even tho' not new.

Don Shipp said:
Looks safe to me.
Are you using a narrow chain on a single speed?
Here's an idea:- find an old chain that has worn a bit (but not worn out). It will be a bit longer than a new one and will allow you to move the wheel back just enough to fit further into the dropouts, which will give you more confidence. A single speed has better alignment and greater wrap around than a derailier, so the chain should not slip and will last a while even tho' not new.

Yeah, I'm using a Shimano 8-speed chain I got for cheap. Is it a bad idea?
Thanks for the tip about the worn chain!

frenk said:
Hi everybody,

TIA,
Francesco

Whoa....those Skewers look kinda iffy. Just replace the axle with a fixed one. What type of hubs are you using? It's very easy to remove the quick release hub. I had to do it for my SS bike just for theft deterant reason but my brother has the same set as you do. He's working on a Bridgestone Road Bike and has the same vertical dropouts you have with the adjustment screws. He replaced the axle with fixed ones, got a 16th BMX Freewheel and a 42th BMX crank and used a 1/8 chain for maximum strength. It works well. My bike has a lot of room for Chain tensioning but still I like to keep it real close the the frame, call me paranoid but better safe than sorry.

t_mao20 said:
Whoa....those Skewers look kinda iffy. Just replace the axle with a fixed one. What type of hubs are you using? It's very easy to remove the quick release hub. I had to do it for my SS bike just for theft deterant reason but my brother has the same set as you do. He's working on a Bridgestone Road Bike and has the same vertical dropouts you have with the adjustment screws. He replaced the axle with fixed ones, got a 16th BMX Freewheel and a 42th BMX crank and used a 1/8 chain for maximum strength. It works well. My bike has a lot of room for Chain tensioning but still I like to keep it real close the the frame, call me paranoid but better safe than sorry.

The hubs and skewers are Dura Ace. In fact those skewers are pretty strong, I can close them with a lot of force. Anyway I will probably replace them.
I just need to remove the QR axle and insert one with the two bolts? No changes to the hub?

I found an interesting discussion on rec.bicycles.tech about the topic: http://tinyurl.com/agf8g
People there disagree, some say that a QR can put the same force (or more) as a fixed axle, others say the opposite...

frenk said:
The hubs and skewers are Dura Ace. In fact those skewers are pretty strong, I can close them with a lot of force. Anyway I will probably replace them.
I just need to remove the QR axle and insert one with the two bolts? No changes to the hub?

I found an interesting discussion on rec.bicycles.tech about the topic: http://tinyurl.com/agf8g
People there disagree, some say that a QR can put the same force (or more) as a fixed axle, others say the opposite...
People will argue about anything.