Is this Safe?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by SUPER RIDER, May 11, 2006.

1. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

I am about to change the chainrings on my bike from a 22-32-42 to a new Sugino XD300 26-36-46.

I have two Sram PC58 chains that I rotate on the bike, but I am wondering if I can add the links I had taken off the chains to size the 22-32-42 chainrings to fit the new 26-36-46 chainrings.

Is it safe to do this, or should I just toss the two chains and buy brand new chains for the new and bigger chainrings?

I would hate for my chain to come apart while struggling up a hill.

Thanks.

Regards,

Lucas

Tags:

2. fish156

fish156 New Member

Sure, it's safe. I got that exact crankset (from Harris) to convert an old MTB to a beater/commuter. I love it and ride it five or six days every week.

FWIW, I did not even change the chain length (by adding links). Unless you are really pounding on it, I'll bet it works fine as is. After I changed to the two_tooth_larger crankset I did plenty of miles with nasty climbs and never have had a problem. Before you go re-sizing your chain I suggest you just try it as is. I'll bet it works just fine.

If you are set on re-sizing your chain, just make sure when you re-insert the pins for the chain that they are spaced properly between the outsides of the chain link sides. These links should be able to be re-used for exactly what you are doing - just not over and over again. Once or twice should be no problem. The SRAM Powerlinks should be able to be used repeatedly for all but the very most demanding applications. I have used those for twenty or thirty times (I like to clean my chains off the bike).

3. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

I've seen plenty of posts that put people in thumb screws for suggesting reusing chain pins. I think that is very false economy.

4. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I have changed many cranksets to Sugino with 28/38/48 tooth chain rings and I normally drop the rear cassette to a 11-28 or 12-25 when fittting slicks. Never have I had to change the chain length.

Having said that, I found the FD-CO51 Front Derailleurs worked better with 48t big rings, and the FD-CO50 Front Derailleurs with 42 and 44 tooth big rings. It may not matter with 46 tooth, not yet tried one.

5. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

I would definitely resize the chain. Here's why:

As others have indicated, you can ride for a long time with a chain that is too short to safely cover the big/big combination and not have trouble because you rarely, if ever use that combination.

It only takes once however. Imagine yourself on an exceptionally nice day breezing up a small hill in the big chainring. Your speed drops as you near the crest of the hill so you drop a gear in the back. You feel a little resistance but you're going uphill so you just bare down a bit more.

SURPRISE! Your drivetrain locks up as your too short chain forces your rear derailleur to twist into the spokes. Your rear derailleur, chain and rear wheel are all twisted and ruined. As you start the long walk home, a cold rain begins to fall.

6. Don Shipp

Don Shipp New Member

Keep the smaller rings then climbing hills won't be a struggle.
    What's your top gear at the moment?

7. fish156

fish156 New Member

With chains such as Shimano - where you are specifically told never to reuse pins (by the manufacturer) - then you should not do so. This is not the case with SRAM chains. There is no false economy there. It works and people have been doing it for years with no problem.

8. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

Thanks Fish, I've never used a Sram chain only KMC & Shimano, you learn something every day on these forums.

9. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

My top gear at the moment (with the 22-32-42) is 99.2gearinches, my lowest gear is 20.4gearinches.

After changing to the 26-36-46, my top gear will be 108.7gearinches, and the lowest gear 24.1gearinches.

I think I can live with the 24.1/108.7gearinches spread.

Thanks.

Regards,

Luc

10. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

Can I ask you what size chainrings you were using with your chain before switching to the 28-38-48 chainrings?

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is, if you went from 22-32-42 or 22-32-44 to a 28-38-48 and you never had to resize or change your chain. Is this true?

Thanks.

Regards,

Lucas

11. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Hi Lucas,

No chain cuting, that's right. The original sizes were 42 and 44 tooth big rings. However most of these bikes had 32 or 34 tooth lows on the cassette, I did change the cassettes to 12-25 or 11-28 in most instances. The long cage mega range rear derailleurs didn't seem to have any problems. In fact looking at the Upland (below) just now, the chain seems longish but works OK.

I should mention the bottom bracket length for Sugino will probably have to be 118mm square drive. A cheaper crankset is the Shimano TX71 28/38/38 all steel chainrings and uses a 122mm bottom bracket.

What style of riding are you setting the bike up for? Cassette? Tyres?

12. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

Thanks for the reply George. I also have an 11-28 cassette on my bike. I currently have Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo (26x1.95) tyres, and the bike is being set up as a commuter/beater bike.

I purchased the Cannondale Killer V900 bike new in 1994, and I really have some form of sentimental attachment to the bike, hence my trying to set it up as a beater bike, so as to still have a reason to ride it.

The Sugino XD300 is also an all steel chainrings bike, and moreover the stock CODA crankset that came with the bike was manufactured specifically for Cannondale by Sugino. I am therefore sure that the XD300 crankset should fit the sealed bearing Shimano square tapered BB that was stock on the bike.

The CODA crankset is 175mm, but my new Sugino XD300 is gonna be a 170mm crank, the more to make it a real spinning bike. I really plan to work on my spinning skills with the new set-up.

The stock rear derailleur on the bike is the Shimano XT M-737 long cage, and the front derailleur is the Shimano LX M-563.

Thanks.

Regards,

Lucas

13. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Lucas,

Thanks for the additional info. This is going to be a fun bike.

You should not have any problems with the 28/38/48 Sugino, the Deore and DeoreLX FD should work OK with 44 and 48 tooth big rings according the the Shimano Book.

You will find the 11-28 cassette with the 38 tooth middle ring a very versatile range. On my ride on Thursday I only used the middle ring. :)

For our local (Aus) tyre page have look here: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t291662.html

14. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

George, it is actually gonna be a 26x36x46 chainrings and an 11-28 cogs bike.

I really wanted a spinner, hence my buying the Sugino XD300 26x36x46, 170mm crank.

I can't wait for the crank to arrive and to put everything together and get the bike out for a spin. I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Lucas

15. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

All understood. :cool:

Just for info, my Try Bike, the Wheeler, has a 30/42/53 Sugino Crankset, 650c wheels with a 12-25 cassette and Conti Ultra Gator Skin 23mm tyres for training,
    a 12-23 cassette with Conti GP4000 23mm tyres for Sunday best. :D

16. SUPER RIDER

SUPER RIDER New Member

How are 650c wheels? I have always been curious about them.

Over and out.

Thanks.

Regards,

Lucas

17. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I guess you want an answer.

26" MTB rims have a bead seat diameter of 559mm, the tyres are a high profile, so a larger diameter.

650c road rims have a bead seat diameter of 571mm, the rims are narrower, the tyres lower in profile and faster.

The external diameter of a 26x1.5 and a 650cx23 is about the same with a Conti tyre.

In the Upland, the front wheel just swaps over, the brake caliper has to be reset. The back 650c road wheel is only 130mm drop out, so I bought a 650c wheel with a Deore (135mm) hub for MTB use.

Have a read of Post #52 in the MTB Slicks topic a few posts back: