Is this safe?

jtwn

Jan 1, 2004
Just mended a puncture and saw this inner tube buldge in my tyre :( I mean its more sidewall than the road contacting part..but would it see me (alive?) over a 25 mile ride, enough hills and 35mph descents?

Many thanks and sorry this had to be my first post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would not ride the bike as is, but you might be able the patch the tire. The effectiveness of a sidewall patch can vary, so you'll have to try and see what happens. Be sure to move the tire to the rear, in case you have a blowout you'll still be able to steer with the front.

That tube will not last. Potential for crashing aside, you will still have no end of frustration stopping to change flats if you don't do something to keep it from pooching out of the tire like that. Better sooner than later.

That's a classic inner tube aneurysm and will result in a dramatic gunshot like blowout sooner or later. You should replace the tire, but in the meantime or if this happens out on the road you can 'boot' the tire by placing a small piece of small tough, flexible material between the inner tube and tire. Good boot material includes dollar bills, mylar energy bar wrappers, precut pieces of old tire or tire patches for small nicks. Just place the boot material inside the tire casing but outside the tube when you change the flat and make sure it doesn't shift too much when you remount the tire and inflate the tube. The pressure of the inflated tube will hold the boot in place while you ride as long as it's substantially larger than the tire hole.

Good luck,
-Dave

jtwn said:
Just mended a puncture and saw this inner tube buldge in my tyre :( I mean its more sidewall than the road contacting part..but would it see me (alive?) over a 25 mile ride, enough hills and 35mph descents?

Many thanks and sorry this had to be my first post.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lol if you have to ask then probably not...

What the others suggested would be best, patch it up and just pay special attention to it.

The inner tube is funny looking haha... just kinda sticks out. def. dangerous especially considering all the fruity pebbles and flintstones all over those roads...

Which do you prefer - your teeth and straight nose or the thought of one last ride on that tire over 25 miles?

When you replace that tire, cut a 1" section from it and chop the bead off that. If you get another cut similar to that, this little section (which fits nicely into a patch kit) will be more than strong enough to get you home.

swampy1970 said:
Which do you prefer - your teeth and straight nose or the thought of one last ride on that tire over 25 miles?

When you replace that tire, cut a 1" section from it and chop the bead off that. If you get another cut similar to that, this little section (which fits nicely into a patch kit) will be more than strong enough to get you home.

nice tip! I'll do just that with an old tire I have in the garage! Thanks

Don't hesitate, just replace it, it's not worth taking the risk. I've seen the faces of a few guys who have come crashing off their bikes, it's not pretty. For the cost of a tyre just throw it away and buy a new one. you'll be glad you did.