is this stem out of range or can it be extended any further?

metropical75

Jun 29, 2022
2008 or so CAAD9 pretty much stock, I think.
Having some issues with my saddle. Tried 3 different Bontrager/Trek saddles. New one today.
Feeling a little palm numb after 10 miles or so.
Wondering if I have more range available on the handlebar stem, or should I try tilting the handlebars up a teense?

Attachments

• IMAG1883.jpg
    IMAG1883.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG1884.jpg
    IMAG1884.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 16
That stem is already maxed out and won’t go any higher. If you still want the bars higher, look for a ”riser stem”.

should I be looking for a riser or a shorter stem with larger rise?
This is an OEM 2009 CAAD C4 85mm @ 7º.

should I be looking for a riser or a shorter stem with larger rise?
This is an OEM 2009 CAAD C4 85mm @ 7º.
Depends on how much of a change you want. No set answer to that. In the overall scale of things, an 85mm stem is fairly short for a road bike.

I ended up trying a couple saddles based on seat bone measurement. But coming from a 125 to a 175, then a 165 was making things worse.
Long story short, a couple of stem changes I ended up at 145mm Bontrager with the OEM stem, 7º or whatever it is. So far so good.

Last edited:
Cycling is a perfect long-ride option for people who are health-conscious. They are a popular healthy option among millions who want to keep their bodies fit and healthy. However, you can find Top Road Bikes which we think will not cost you thousands of dollars like other bikes.