Is this the $2000 bike forum?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by dad25kids, Jul 12, 2004.

1. dad25kids

dad25kids New Member

I'm not one to join or use forums and certainly don't mean to knock this one but......

I see posts like "need help", "have a question", "I'm new", or "need advice" with no responses at all and then read a post about swallowing bugs with several responses. It's not like these people are asking about Huffys!

Maybe if you aren't hard core YET or don't know the ins and outs of a high-end bike then maybe this isn't the place to be for newbies wanting some help to get started into cycling???

Tags:

2. keydates

keydates New Member

I guess some/most members get a bit tired with seeing the same question posted almost everyday. That, or they're too lazy to answer. They might not even know what kind of bike/equipment/training regimen the person should take or have never heard of it.

3. starship

starship New Member

Hang around and read anyway! I have had a lot of questions go unanswered, and have gotten many, many good answers as well.

And no, I’m not hard core (yet?). Just a 49 year old dude, who rides to burn calories, stress, and have one heck of a good time doing it!

Resting heart rate 56, BP 117/75

4. less'go

less'go New Member

Some newbie posts don't get a lot of responses because they don't pose a particular question, and you don't always have time to answer every with a welcome... which doesn't mean you don't welcome the new person.

And then again, some threads work, some don't, . I am the proud author of the traffic light poll, with it's 3055 views and 74 responses (ahem, ahem!), but some of my other threads, in spite of their obvious and pure genious, barely get noticed and have now become part of the internet archive world...

Anywho, as for bike price, mine cost about 170 bucks and has been incredibly wonderfully faithful and great. Lots of price ranges here, I think, even if it may seem that the better-equipped cyclist steal the scene. But there's usually something for everyone.

5. TheDL

TheDL New Member

lol, my bike doesn't even have a drivetrain, I'm new, and I think this is a great forum.

Oh...and I paid $150 for my half-of-a-bike

:) Cheers to you all.

6. Walrus

Walrus New Member

I deleted my response...misread the post. Sorry.

7. Sleektabby

Sleektabby New Member

Hi there -

I'm new (not to cycling but to this forum) and I've already answered someone's bike question! :D

I think that sometimes people do ask for the impossible when they are looking for a bike, which could be frustrating, like -

I want a new bike, race-ready and less than $800.

Hmmm. Doesn't really exist. What's one to say?

But that being said I think you'll find every type of two wheeler here, on both sides of $2000!

:D

8. cuervo

cuervo New Member

I think that the answer is in your words, those threads subjects are not telling nothing by itself, you have to go in to see if you know something about the subject, and even then maybe you can't be helpful to the poster.

If you want help, you can help yourself looking a good title for your thread, something that says what are you talking about, something that attracts all the cyclists that are training around the block.

9. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Hey Sleektabby, it's that you in the Trek? great picture, you should postit at the thread "How all you look like" or something like that

10. Sleektabby

Sleektabby New Member

Yep, that's yours truly in a crit sucking wheel behind a teamate.

I'll post it over there soon. I'm writing from work. Shhhh! Nobody tell on me! :D

11. tinajoy

tinajoy New Member

I think some road bikers are kind of snotty.....

12. ejglows

ejglows New Member

A lot of times it seems as though people have posted for quick answers instead of actually searching through the archives where the same questions have been beaten to death already. Usually the new, unusual, obscene, or fight inducing posts get more responses...For best results try to use a combination of the aforementioned....

Good luck, and `welcome`

e

13. trekchic

trekchic New Member

I think if you ask a specific question like, "...Is anyone riding a Trek 1500...." or "...can anyone help me with seat positioning..." or "...how do I know my cadence if I don't have a computer..." those questions get answered.

But questions like, "...what kind of bike should I buy and where should I get it..." are too vague and some folks are tired of answering them.

I don't really think the people on this forum are snobs, though. They're just not professional cycling coaches and don't want to either sound stupid to someone who is or don't want to start an arguement about "proper hand position" or "best kind of bike" or "put some cream on your butt and quit whining! suck it up, newbie!" (OH, I just sounded like a snob, sorry!) :p

I have only been riding since July of last year....heeeeeeeeey! I just realized this is my 1st anniversary! And I have posted lots of specific-needs questions and have always gotten an answer. I usually post in the cycling training or women's forum, though so that I get specific answers!

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY!:::::::::
    I think Europeans look at cycling like Americans look at baseball...it's our sport and we MIGHT let you participate, but we'll DOMINATE!! I am an American, and I LOVE Europeans.......especially Italian mafia types...... ;)
    But, that seems to be A GENERALIZATION from what I see on TV and hear sometimes on this and other boards.

BUT I THINK MOST EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM IS GREAT NO MATTER WHERE YOU COME FROM! I THINK YOU'RE AWESOME FOR EVEN POSTING WHAT YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT AND I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH!

I know I'll be kicked off, so thought I'd tell everyone how I really feel! :rolleyes:

Kim in TN

14. dad25kids

dad25kids New Member

Hey some responses - AWESOME!! Thanks to all for giving some input. Maybe my Huffy with training wheels will be accepted here. Kidding aside, I'm sure with any group there are good folks and the not so good folks (or should I say helpful folks)?

Actually my first post had a specific title (so I thought) but that bike is now sold so I don't need answers anymore on that subject anyway. I'm sure when I find a bike I'll have more questions.

Thanks again for letting me know there are some cool people using this forum.

Play safe!

15. meehs

meehs New Member

Exactly. We get the same questions posted over and over again. It gets annoying when the same question gets asked all the time. Before someone starts a new post with a question (especially "adivice on buying a new bike" or something like that) they should do a search of the forum. Chances are it has been covered already. Probably a hundred times.

16. JohnO

JohnO New Member

First off, this is NOT the $2000 bike forum. It's the $3000 bike forum.

As far as I am concerned, any interest in cycling is a good one. The more cyclists we have, the more bike paths we have, the more bike lanes we have, the more singletracks we have, the larger the group rides, and the greater the political base with which we can accomplish all of those things.

So it's in everyone's best interest to see to it that a new person's first contact with the cycling community is a positive one. Even if the same question gets asked over and over again, try to remember that these people really don't know anything. That's why they're asking the question. They came here to seek knowledge, not visit the Abuse Clinic or test their clarivoyance with unwritten rules. No, you don't need a $3000 bike to start riding, even if this is the $3000 bike forum. $500 is really the bare minimum for something that won't fall apart, $1k is good enough for anyone to ride for several years. Proper fit is crucial to any cycling that goes further than around the block, so forget wal-mart and get a local bike shop to fit you properly. You will probably go through two or three saddles until you find the right one. 10 speeds is not much better than 9. That sort of thing.

And yes, you'll have to say this over and over again, every time there's a new person who doesn't know the ins and outs of cycling or online forums. Behind every basic question is a person who votes, who buys cycling equipment, and who may be willing to be active in promoting cycling, if only their first experience is a good one. Seriously - when was the last time someone posted a question that read - can someone please give me a snotty, elitist, bad attitude response to a basic question? It doesn't take much brainpower to be rude to an inexperienced person. Or character, for that matter.

Personally, I'd prefer to extend a warm welcome to anyone interested in cycling, regardless of their budget or their current level of experience. Even if it does mean answering the same question over and over again. The more people riding, the better cycling gets.

17. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Well said. There is something for everyone here!!

Some people may say any bike under $2000 doesn't have any soul or you aren't considered a real rider, but those debate(s) are ridiculous. Whatever kind of bike you own, whether it's a used 150 dollar bike or some custom made 7000 dollar bike, if you ride, and I hope I am speaking for everyone else when I say you are welcome here.

18. TechJD

TechJD New Member

cracks like that just dont set right with me, sorry

I bought a used bike for like $35 several years ago and I still ride it
    I might be new to this forum but not to forums in general
    I agree with TrekDedicated it shouldnt matter how much or little you pay for your bike, this forum is here for cyclests not whats was paid for the bikes

sorry that statment just hit me the wrong way
    not tryin to start anything

19. remicman

remicman New Member

Where is that "traffic light poll"? Would like to see it.

20. Walrus

Walrus New Member