Is this the $2000 bike forum?

dad25kids said:
I'm not one to join or use forums and certainly don't mean to knock this one but......

I see posts like "need help", "have a question", "I'm new", or "need advice" with no responses at all and then read a post about swallowing bugs with several responses. It's not like these people are asking about Huffys!

Maybe if you aren't hard core YET or don't know the ins and outs of a high-end bike then maybe this isn't the place to be for newbies wanting some help to get started into cycling???

Man - I see these questions answered here all of the time. The only really decent answer to the "newbie" wanting to get started is - Go see your local bike shop. They will be able to ask all of the questions that need to be asked. Starting in cycling, the most important thing is to find somebody local that you trust and will help you. The newbie asks what time it is and we all try to tell him/her how to build a watch.

I've found that bike prices are a progression. My first mountain bike was about $200. (8 bikes and 10 years later....) My last road bike was $3,500 and now has $1,000 woth of upgrades.

meehs said:
Exactly. We get the same questions posted over and over again. It gets annoying when the same question gets asked all the time. Before someone starts a new post with a question (especially "adivice on buying a new bike" or something like that) they should do a search of the forum. Chances are it has been covered already. Probably a hundred times.
exctly
i was new here and i used the magical "search" button and learned ALOT

izzodesh said:
exctly
i was new here and i used the magical "search" button and learned ALOT
i think maybe this migh tbe an example of just the sort of response the thread is talking about. A little less abrasive re-write might be;

I've found that the "search" will answer most of the more basic questions that I've had. You should try it, it works *great*. Now go away newbie, and come back when you've sold your car for a new wheelset :D

Salsa Rider said:
i think maybe this migh tbe an example of just the sort of response the thread is talking about. A little less abrasive re-write might be;

I've found that the "search" will answer most of the more basic questions that I've had. You should try it, it works *great*. Now go away newbie, and come back when you've sold your car for a new wheelset :D
hahahah salsa...
i need to sell my car and get some zipps now..

I'd have to agree. This is one of the least helpful cycling forums I'm on. Of course if one wants to brag about a bike that cost more than a years rent for a homeless child or debate which thickness of carbon fiber lay-up is best for seatstays than this is the place. Helpful forums take pride in welcoming and helping new members, a concept lost here I've found. The snobbery is especially profound amongst the roadies. Shame on you, you were new once.