Is this the proper size Bianchi for me?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Allan Young, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Allan Young

    Allan Young Guest

    I'm purchasing a Bianchi Vigorelli, 55cm.

    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

    I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    this bike.

    Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute jitters
    about getting the right size.)

    Regards, Allan

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Allan Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm purchasing a Bianchi Vigorelli, 55cm.
    >
    >I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    >
    >I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    >this bike.
    >
    >Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute jitters
    >about getting the right size.)

    It's impossible to say from just the above, but assuming Bianchis are measured center to top, that
    would put you very much in the "center of the bell curve" in terms of fit. Or to put in another way,
    most 5'10"
    (178cm) riders with a 32" (81cm) inseam would ride a frame within a cm of a 55cm c-t (assuming it's
    got "normal" geometry and BB height).

  3. > I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

    > I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    > this bike.
    >
    > Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute jitters
    > about getting the right size.)

    Allan: If Bianchi measure center-to-center (center of bottom bracket to center of top tube), then
    55cm sounds like a reasonable size. If Bianchi is measuring center-to-top (to the top of the top
    tube) then it might still be fine, or it could be a bit on the small side.

    If you've ridden the bike and it feels comfortable, and you're comfortable with how the shop
    conducts business and their knowledge, I'd say you're probably fine. But do keep in mind that top
    tube length is frequently the more relevant issue in terms of fitting a bike to a rider. Taller
    sizes have longer top tubes, so for someone with a very long torso, we might put them on a frame
    where the it might appear that the bike is a bit big (in terms of having little standover clearance)
    so we can have the greater distance it affords from seat to handlebars.

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > > I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    > >
    > > I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    > > this bike.
    > >
    > > Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute
    > > jitters about getting the right size.)

    > If you've ridden the bike and it feels comfortable, and you're comfortable with how the shop
    > conducts business and their knowledge, I'd say you're probably fine. But do keep in mind that top
    > tube length is frequently the more relevant issue in terms of fitting a bike to a rider. Taller
    > sizes have longer top tubes, so for someone with a very long torso, we might put them on a frame
    > where the it might appear that the bike is a bit big (in terms of having little standover
    > clearance) so we can have the greater distance it affords from seat to handlebars.

    I'll definately go along with what Mike says. All that matters is that it's comfortable *for you.*

    In general, Bianchis have slightly shorter top tubes.

    Personally, I'm 6'0" with slightly longer than average legs, and even a "59" Bianchi feels a little
    tight in the top tube. However, people's preferences differ a lot -- some like 'em big, some like
    'em small.

    Try sitting on and test riding a couple of other sizes.

    Matt O.

  5. Depends how it feels when you are on the saddle....

    Personally, I used to ride a 55cm Avanti (which was stolen), but in a Norco MTB, ride a 16", and
    in my new Giant TCR-2 I ride a medium, which in traditional sizing is between a 53 and a 59...
    Prior to the Avanti, I rode a 51 Gitane.... Go figure, it's all about what feels good when you are
    riding it....

    "Allan Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OQwIa.3967$%[email protected]...
    > I'm purchasing a Bianchi Vigorelli, 55cm.
    >
    > I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    >
    > I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    > this bike.
    >
    > Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute jitters
    > about getting the right size.)
    >
    > Regards, Allan

  6. Barryg

    Barryg Guest

    If you prefer to ride slightly more upright on the hoods/tops of the bars, this frame may be
    undersized for you, especially if it's a c-t measurement.

    "Allan Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OQwIa.3967$%[email protected]...
    > I'm purchasing a Bianchi Vigorelli, 55cm.
    >
    > I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    >
    > I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    > this bike.
    >
    > Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute jitters
    > about getting the right size.)
    >
    > Regards, Allan

  7. Bikeeron

    Bikeeron Guest

    Heck with the Down Tube measurement. The Top Tube is what you should be concerned about.

    > "Allan Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm purchasing a Bianchi Vigorelli, 55cm.
    > >
    > >I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    > >
    > >I was fitted at a local bike shop, where I was told 55cm would be the correct pairing for me and
    > >this bike.
    > >
    > >Does a 55cm Bianchi sound correct for someone with my measurements? (Just some last minute
    > >jitters about getting the right size.)
    >
    > It's impossible to say from just the above, but assuming Bianchis are measured center to top, that
    > would put you very much in the "center of the bell curve" in terms of fit. Or to put in another
    > way, most 5'10"
    > (178cm) riders with a 32" (81cm) inseam would ride a frame within a cm of a 55cm c-t (assuming
    > it's got "normal" geometry and BB height).
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    >If you prefer to ride slightly more upright on the hoods/tops of the bars, this frame may be
    >undersized for you, especially if it's a c-t measurement.

    I ride a 61 Boron, but its a 2000 with-out a sloping top-tube. I think Bianchi says their sloping
    types are still measured the same, even though the seat-tube is actually shorter. I'm 5'9" but split
    high with 32.5" inseam.I went through Fit-Kit stuff 18 yrs ago, and have ridden 60 or 61
    forever,even before that. anything smaller than 60 puts the bars too far down in relation to the
    seat, and my thighs start smacking my lower ribs, and I get neck pain from too much neck
    extension.(more of a problem in the old days before you could get stems of different rises.)

    Do whats comfortable,although 55 would be way too small for me.even with a traditional geometry.