Is this worth the price?

Pedalnewbie

Aug 5, 2014
Hello,

I"ve been lurking on here, but I was wondering if this bike http://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/4593226110.html is worth 300? It seems a bit much for me? But it does seem to be in excellent condition.

Also, I'm concerned because with some bikes I've been looking at my arms are fully extended on men's models even if the seat height is ok. Is this an easy fix?

Oh, also I live in a college town so a hybrid commuter is not in demand.

Thanks!

Offer $100 cash and walk, it aint worth anymore than that. The retailed for about $450 when new, that bike is old junk.

The non-tapered head tube, rear dropout configuration, and 25.4 mm handlebar indicate the model year of this bike to be 2007 or 2008. The 2008 model retailed for $570, and the Bicycle Blue Book indicates current values to range from $228 (like new) to $145 (fair). The 2007 model retailed for $430, and is currently valued at $158 to $101. This one looks like good but not excellent condition. Cables and rubber indicate that it should give you an enjoyable ride home, but you might have to do some replacing (including the chain) before next spring.

In general, FXs are darned nice bikes. but a lot of them get used for hard, all-weather commuting. Parts get worn and the bikes tend to get neglected. This one doesn't appear to have done that kind of duty, but it shows some miles. I'd start the bidding under $136 (a "good" 2007) and go no higher than $195 (a "good" 2008), depending on how the test ride went.

2009 ($570 MSRP) featured upgrades to the frame, Deore derailleurs, wheels, and seat post. This is definitely not one.

I agree it's overpriced by about 100%, but I also think it was overpriced on the showroom floor when it sold new! But that's just me. Not sure what year that bike is but it looks like an 06, if it is than this should be the value of it: http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=11140