Is tire slime okay?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat, May 5, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Years ago, the "word" was not to use slime-like products because they would
    inevitably gunk up the nozzle of your air pump. Now, I see this green slime
    product at all the bike stores, but I am wary of trying it.

    What's the new "word" about this type of product?

    thanks,

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    says...
    > Years ago, the "word" was not to use slime-like products because they would
    > inevitably gunk up the nozzle of your air pump. Now, I see this green slime
    > product at all the bike stores, but I am wary of trying it.
    >
    > What's the new "word" about this type of product?

    I never had a problem with it gunking up my pump, but it gunked up the
    valve on the tube so that it wouldn't seal.

    --
    Dave Kerber
    Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

  3. David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >says...
    >> Years ago, the "word" was not to use slime-like products because they would
    >> inevitably gunk up the nozzle of your air pump. Now, I see this green slime
    >> product at all the bike stores, but I am wary of trying it.
    >>
    >> What's the new "word" about this type of product?

    It's actually pretty handy when it works (and it has for me), but
    it doesn't always work (but does most of the time).

    >I never had a problem with it gunking up my pump, but it gunked up the
    >valve on the tube so that it wouldn't seal.

    "Slime" is water-soluble, so a simple soap-and-water cleaning of
    the inside of your tire stem will fix that.

  4. On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:44:57 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> said:

    >What's the new "word" about this type of product?

    Slime doesn't work worth crap.

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I never had a problem with it gunking up my pump, but it gunked up the
    > >valve on the tube so that it wouldn't seal.

    > "Slime" is water-soluble, so a simple soap-and-water cleaning of
    > the inside of your tire stem will fix that.

    This doesn't help if you are out on the road and have neither soap nor a
    tool to remove the stem.

    I've also posted here about what can happen if the tire isn't seated
    properly while you are pumping up the tire; not only will the tube blow, but
    you will have a faceful of green slime. (It will clean up with soap and
    water, though.)

    I found Slime worked pretty well up to maybe 60 psi, but at high pressures
    (90 psi+) slow leaks would remain.

    At first I loved Slime tubes, but now I no longer use them. YMMV.

    --
    ---
    Mike Kruger

  6. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Wed, 5 May 2004 17:44:57 -0500,
    <[email protected]>,
    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Years ago, the "word" was not to use slime-like products because they would
    >inevitably gunk up the nozzle of your air pump. Now, I see this green slime
    >product at all the bike stores, but I am wary of trying it.
    >
    >What's the new "word" about this type of product?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    They make a bunch of products now so I guess it works.
    http://www.slimesealant.com/bike.html

    One anecdote I heard prejudiced me against them. When flatted, your
    rim is suddenly running on slime. Sorta like ice and particularly bad
    on a front wheel. . . ohh, and blowouts are messy.
    --
    zk

  7. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > says...
    > > Years ago, the "word" was not to use slime-like products because they would
    > > inevitably gunk up the nozzle of your air pump. Now, I see this green slime
    > > product at all the bike stores, but I am wary of trying it.
    > >--------------------------

    I still find it yucky, not terrible effective, and impossible to patch
    if you get a *big* hole. go with thorn-proof tubes; the extra
    thickness does help (not *proof*), and they are patchable.

  8. I agree, about both the problems with lime tubes, and with the use of thorn
    resistant tubes instead. In addition I use a kevlar lining in the tire.
    After many thousands of puncture free riding, I just had my first puncture
    with that system last weekend. A long narrow screw penetrated both the
    kevlar lining and the thick tube.

    There's no perfect solution, though. My experience has been that the thick
    tubes are a bit more susceptible to stem failures.

    news:[email protected]