Is Today The Food TV Show With Our Restaurateur In Texas?

Margaret Suran

Guest
Is the show today, tomorrow, or did I miss it already?
Thank you, M

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Is the show today, tomorrow, or did I miss it already?
> Thank you, M

Ok.. what'd I miss? Who's "our restaurateur in Texas" and
what is he doing? Goomba

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:37:48 -0400, Margaret Suran
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Is the show today, tomorrow, or did I miss it already?
>>Thank you, M
>

> http://www.FoodTV.com
>
> It's on tonight - different times depending on where
> you live.
>
> -sw

Thank you. It was on at 7:00 P.M. and i just watched and
taped it. I will go back now and see the other two segments,
without Mr. Ross.

Goomba wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>

>>Is the show today, tomorrow, or did I miss it already?
>>Thank you, M
>

> Ok.. what'd I miss? Who's "our restaurateur in Texas" and
> what is he doing? Goomba

Goomba, this is what you asked for.

Dave Ross, the owner and chef of The Ranchman's Cafe near
Dallas, Texas, was visited by Bobby Flay, who taped the
making of the restaurant's famous Chicken Fried Steak.

Dave is "our restaurateur", because he posts
(occasionally) on rfc.

It is the first segment of Bobby Flay's new FoodNation
episode and will be shown two more times this coming week.
You will have to find it in your local TV listings. It is
well worth your while to watch it.

Here is the link to the Food TV site, where you can read
about it and see the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_bf

> > http://www.FoodTV.com
> >
> > It's on tonight - different times depending on where
> > you live.
> >
> > -sw
>
> Thank you. It was on at 7:00 P.M. and i just watched and
> taped it. I will go back now and see the other two
> segments, without Mr. Ross.

You are one up on me. I set the VCR to record the show at
6:00 PM Texas time this morning before I went to work at
9:00AM. When I got home at 1:30 AM the VCR time was set
wrong by 1 1/2 hours. Customers called and came by droves to
eat CFS and told me about seeing it on TV. Now the next time
to see me use up my 15 minutes of fame is Tuesday at 8:30PM.

Boy howdy did we sell a bunch of Chicken Fried Steak, my
fingers are battered to the bone. Thank you Food Network.

DaveR Dave Ross www.ranchman.com

DaveR wrote:
>>>http://www.FoodTV.com
>>>
>>>It's on tonight - different times depending on where
>>>you live.
>>>
>>>-sw
>>
>>Thank you. It was on at 7:00 P.M. and i just watched and
>>taped it. I will go back now and see the other two
>>segments, without Mr. Ross.
>

> You are one up on me. I set the VCR to record the show at
> 6:00 PM Texas time this morning before I went to work at
> 9:00AM. When I got home at 1:30 AM the VCR time was set
> wrong by 1 1/2 hours. Customers called and came by droves
> to eat CFS and told me about seeing it on TV. Now the
> next time to see me use up my 15 minutes of fame is
> Tuesday at 8:30PM.
>
> Boy howdy did we sell a bunch of Chicken Fried Steak, my
> fingers are battered to the bone. Thank you Food Network.
>
> DaveR Dave Ross www.ranchman.com

Dave Ross, You were great and cool as a cucumber. It was fun
to "meet" and to watch you and for the first time I am
tempted to try Chicken Fried Steak, if the occasion ever
arises. Thank you for telling us about the program.

I can well imagine how busy your place will be, not only as
a result of the show, but also because of your reputation,
which even has reached me in New York City, via some recent
visitors to your establishment.

I have to tape the program once more, for another one of
your fans who does not get Food TV.

With friendly greetings, Margaret Suran

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 02:20:20 -0500, "DaveR" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You are one up on me. I set the VCR to record the show at
>6:00 PM Texas time this morning before I went to work at
>9:00AM. When I got home at 1:30 AM the VCR time was set
>wrong by 1 1/2 hours. Customers called and came by droves
>to eat CFS and told me about seeing it on TV. Now the
>next time to see me use up my 15 minutes of fame is
>Tuesday at 8:30PM.

I like that showmanship of using the big long mallet on
the wooden stump to pound the meat. Now if only you coulda
hit Bobby in the eye instead of the shirt with the stray
piece of meat.

Course we all know you don't really use that mallet on all
the meat...

What else was in the gravy?

-sw

> Dave Ross, You were great and cool as a cucumber. It was
> fun to "meet" and to watch you and for the first time I am
> tempted to try Chicken Fried Steak, if the occasion ever
> arises. Thank you for telling us about the program.
>
> I can well imagine how busy your place will be, not only
> as a result of the show, but also because of your
> reputation, which even has reached me in New York City,
> via some recent visitors to your establishment. I have to
> tape the program once more, for another one of your fans
> who does not get Food TV. With friendly greetings,
> Margaret Suran

Thanks you Margaret (one of the few brave RFC'er who doesn't
hide under a faux name)

This has got to be fast. Ordinarily today is a day off after
working 30 hours Fri and Sat., now the pies are wiped out
and I gotta go in for the morning and make 6 coconut
meringue , 4 chocolate meringue and two cherry cobblers. to
be ready for the day. My wife was real ****** that I didn't
get the show taped. "I told you so" was her mantra last
night, beating it into my head till 2:30 in the morning.

Happy Trails, Dave Ross

> This has got to be fast. Ordinarily today is a day off after working 30
> hours Fri and Sat., now the pies are wiped out and I gotta go in for the
> morning and make 6 coconut meringue , 4 chocolate meringue and two cherry
> cobblers. to be ready for the day. My wife was real ****** that I didn't get
> the show taped. "I told you so" was her mantra last night, beating it into
> my head till 2:30 in the morning.
>
> Happy Trails, Dave Ross

Dave Ross, You have two more chances to tape the show and if
you cannot do it, I will be happy to do it for you. I have
two VCR's, so I will not deprive anybody else whom I
promised a copy. Let me know, please.

Fondly, Margaret

DaveR wrote:

> Thanks you Margaret (one of the few brave RFC'er who
> doesn't hide under a faux name)

I beg to differ with you Dave. My daddy called me and
my sibs "Goomba" "Hey.. goomba.. come're!" my entire
life. Goomba

> Dave Ross, You have two more chances to tape the show and
> if you cannot do it, I will be happy to do it for you. I
> have two VCR's, so I will not deprive anybody else whom I
> promised a copy. Let me know, please.
>
> Fondly, Margaret

Dear Margaret, Thank you, what a nice offer. My
Butcher/Soapmaker recorded it and will make copies. The
website host for www.ranchman.com wants to stream the show
on my website (cool beans!) at no extra charge.

I heard that the show started with Walt the duck tugging on
my pants. Walt is now memorialized. He was retrieved one two
many times by a stray dog, the third time was not a charm
for him as I had to chase off the buzzards. Walts
replacement Walt II and his visiting girlfriend LD (Last
Duck) were pummeled to death by a hail storm last tuesday.
Ponder went from a one duck town to a no duck town in an
instant. BTW: Duck was not on the menu.

Dave Ross

"Goomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DaveR wrote:
>
> > Thanks you Margaret (one of the few brave RFC'er who
> > doesn't hide under
> > faux name)
> >

> I beg to differ with you Dave. My daddy called me and my
> sibs "Goomba"
"Hey..
> goomba.. come're!" my entire life. Goomba

Goomba, That's very interesting. Did he use a different
inflection to indicate one from the other, or did you all
have to scurry to Pops when the Goomba alert sounded? As far
as I know (the end of my nose) Goomba is a tem of endearment
and only faintly resembles the character on Mario Brothers
Nintendo games. I like the name Goomba, wear it proudly.

DaveR

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:37:48 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Is the show today, tomorrow, or did I miss it already?
> >>Thank you, M
> >

> > http://www.FoodTV.com
> >
> > It's on tonight - different times depending on where
> > you live.
> >
> > -sw
>
> Thank you. It was on at 7:00 P.M. and i just watched and
> taped it. I will go back now and see the other two
> segments, without Mr. Ross.

I forgot Dave was specifically going to be on, but as I
enjoy FoodNation I watched it anyway. Great segment! The
chicken fried steak looked really good, although that
portion size looked like a killer :)

Brian Rodenborn

> I like that showmanship of using the big long mallet on
> the wooden stump to pound the meat. Now if only you coulda
> hit Bobby in the eye instead of the shirt with the stray
> piece of meat.
>
> Course we all know you don't really use that mallet on all
> the meat...
>
> What else was in the gravy?
>
> -sw

Steve, You are cynical. FYI WYSIWYG You can ask Victor, we
have the large persuader for the majority of our CFS
production and a normal tenderizer for doubling production
capacity. Yes, we use the mallet and the customers can
usually hear the slapping sound of the meat for a good
portion of the day. Last week we processed 7 cases of inside
round that weigh around 85 pounds each in this manner.

You saw what was in the gravy. What do you mean "what else
is in the gravy?" This is simple white gravy, Texas "cowboy
puddin". Most restaurants buy a mix that tastes like ****.
We used to make each batch cooking the roux first then
adding the liquid, but the inconsistency of the different
cooks demanded that we make four gallon batches of roux,
enough to last a week. Now we heat up the milk till it is
simmering, add the roux, whip like mad till it boils and
thickens. The roux is made of canola oil, all purpose flour,
salt and pepper which is baked at 350° for two hours,
because of the large volume in two 4 inch full sized
steamtable pans it takes that long to heat through to the
center. If we were cooking the roux on the stove, in smaller
batches, it would take only a few minutes. When cooks were
making individual batches occasionally the gravy would turn
sweet in a remarkably quick time, this caused by the barley
flour added to wheat flour as an anti-oxidant (this is not
stated on any package. The barley flour enzyme starts
converting starch to sugar as in the first stage of beer,
makes for nasty gravy.

daveR

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 06:51:45 -0500, "DaveR" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Course we all know you don't really use that mallet on
>> all the meat...
>
>Steve, You are cynical.

Me? Cynical? Nah.

> FYI WYSIWYG You can ask Victor, we have the large
> persuader for the majority of our CFS production and a
> normal tenderizer for doubling production capacity.

That's what I was getting at. I don't think it would be as
productive as using a regular mallet. Apparently I was
right, too
:p

Yes, we
>use the mallet and the customers can usually hear the
>slapping sound of the meat for a good portion of the day.
>Last week we processed 7 cases of inside round that weigh
>around 85 pounds each in this manner.
>
>You saw what was in the gravy. What do you mean "what else
>is in the gravy?"

Canola oil, flour and milk does not make a very good gravy.
Obviouslly there's more in it (or I hope there is). What we
saw was the making of glue.

>The roux is made of canola oil, all purpose flour, salt and
>pepper which is baked at 350° for two hours....

I didn't see/hear any mention of salt and pepper, which is
why I asked. Still seems kinda bland....

-sw

> > FYI WYSIWYG You can ask Victor, we have the large
> > persuader for the majority of our
CFS
> >production and a normal tenderizer for doubling
> >production capacity.

Steve, did you see the stiff boner I was using to trim the
steaks? It is designed to prevent carpal tunnel with a
pistol grip. The big tenderizer is slower but does twice the
work with one blow. The nomal mallets can wear out ones
elbow with the shock and repetition, so it is good to be
able to change out rythems and muscles.

> That's what I was getting at. I don't think it would be as
> productive as using a regular mallet. Apparently I was
> right, too

If you must be "right" ok you were "right" partially. If
given the choice and you had experience with both, you would
choose the larger mallet for faster production.

snip
> >You saw what was in the gravy. What do you mean "what
> >else is in the
gravy?" Canola oil, flour and milk does not make a very
good gravy.
> Obviouslly there's more in it (or I hope there is). What
> we saw was the making of glue.
>
> >The roux is made of canola oil, all purpose flour, salt
> >and pepper which is baked at 350° for two hours....
>
> I didn't see/hear any mention of salt and pepper, which is
> why I asked. Still seems kinda bland.... -sw

When I first came to Texas it surprised me to see the main
breakfast item here was biscuits and gravy. The only
difference between the two is hydration and baking powder.
Sometimes the gravy is made with sausage gravy or bacon
grease, which kicks it up a notch. The gravy Texans & Okies
crave is plain ole milk gravy. Done correctly it doesn't
have a raw flour taste and has a nice thick creamy
consistency. It is good to use as an additive to other foods
as a base sauce stock. Unlike the French béchamel sauce
which reduces till it thickens and has sautéed onions, Texas
cream gravy is fast furious and untamed like the old west.
The burner is on max from the time the oil hits the pan till
the wisk makes its last pass. The followers of Cream Gravy
acquired this taste from generations of family cooks, they
know when it doesn't taste like Grandma's gravy. Simple is
not always uncivilized or tasteless.

Dave Ross

Tara wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:47:35 -0500, "DaveR"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>stiff boner
>

> Hee, hee, hee!
>
> Tara

Bad Girl! As a perfectly respectable lady, I ignored it.

--
Margaret Suran Why is it that inside every older person is a
younger person, wondering what the heck happened.

"Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:47:35 -0500, "DaveR"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > stiff boner
>
> Hee, hee, hee!
>
> Tara

Did you know that it is very difficult to find a cook/
chef/food service pro who is not a pervert. It must have
to do that love of food is related to a very sensual experience------
eating/sucking/chewing/smelling. I'm glad this
sensuality extends to anyone who enjoys a tastegasm and
loves to eat or cook.

The knife is technically called and boner and they are
categorized by being either stiff or flexible. We now know
which one you prefer. Thank you for being honest and
expressing your innermost feelings.

DaveR (formerly entremanure)