Is Tom Danielson Next American TDF Champ After Lance?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bosaci, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Bruce Johnston wrote:
    > Jeanson... yeah!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Took 4 minutes off Longo record!

    I must admit I have alarm bells ringing when someone outperforms the world's greatest living female
    rider by 7% or so. When did Longo set the record?

  2. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    DANIELSON, JEANSON SHATTER RECORDS AT MOUNT WASHINGTON

    8/24/02 North Conway, NH (August 24th, 2002)- They call it "The Rockpile", the windswept massif of
    Mount Washington is known for harboring the worst weather on earth and it is also the home of
    the Volkswagen Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb. Today the typically daunting weather
    on the Beast of the East was nowhere to be found. An opportunity was presented and RONA'S
    Genevieve Jeanson and Tom Danielson of Mercury responded with record shattering performances.

    In the Women's division, the race was over nearly before it started, as Genevieve Jeanson exploded
    out of the start quickly distancing herself from Lyne Bessette(Canadian National Team), her closest
    competitor. Maintaining her leg-breaking tempo, Jeanson found herself on the summit in a scant 54
    minutes and 2 seconds, eclipsing the record set by Jeanne Longo(58:14) in 2000 by an astonishing
    4:12. Bessette finished second(1:04:31) with a time that would have taken the day in most years.
    Rounding out the top five were Susan Duff(West Chester PA), Marielle Aunave(Winooski VT), and
    Heather McKendry(Eaton NH).

    Not to be outdone in the Men's race, Tom Danielson set a blistering pace that quickly left him
    racing up the mountain alone. Indeed, Danielson's ascent set a new standard for "the world's
    toughest hillclimb" when he arrived at the top in 49:24, lopping an incredible 57 seconds of Tyler
    Hamilton's 1999 record of 50:21. Two-time winner('00 '01) Tim Johnson(Saturn) finishing
    second(53:56), saw his hopes fade for a third title early when he was unable to hold Danielson wheel
    after the start. Third place went North Conway native Carl Swenson 54:45(RLX Polo Sport), Greg
    Sieniewicz 55:55 (Ofoto) took fourth, followed by Philip Wong 56:27. Jesse Anthony(Saturn
    Development) took the Junior Men's Title with a strong
    9:25 time.

    In exchange for their record breaking efforts, Tom Danileson and Genevieve Jeanson were each
    presented with $5000 checks from the title sponsor Volkswagen of America by VW representative

  3. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:30:19 GMT, "bosaci" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > DANIELSON, JEANSON SHATTER RECORDS AT MOUNT WASHINGTON In the Women's division, the race was
    > over nearly before it started, as Genevieve Jeanson exploded out of the start quickly
    > distancing herself from Lyne Bessette(Canadian National Team), her closest competitor.
    > Maintaining her leg-breaking tempo, Jeanson found herself on the summit in a scant 54 minutes
    > and 2 seconds, eclipsing the record set by Jeanne Longo(58:1) in 2000 by an astonishing 4:12.

    Hmmm, in hindsight maybe Johnson hooked up with Lynn Gaggioli... Speaking of which, has anybody
    heard anything else about Lynn "the hitcher"?

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp