Is two months training enough for an olympic triathlon?

I'm curious if two months is enough time to train for an olympic
triathlon. I'm a 26M and I'd basically start the training from
scratch. The Pittsburgh triathlon is in my home city and my roommate
and I want to do it. We're not necessarily competing, but we would
like to do it, enjoy it, and not injure ourselves afterwards.

I have a background with rowing and cycling, but have not done any
frequent training recently. Any thoughts??

Do it.
Your first couple of races is all about learning, not racing. In your
first few races you will find new unexpected ways of screwing up.
That's is part of the sport. Just don't get too excited and go out too
hard, take it easy, it all about pace and if you get in trouble QUIT.
If you get sick or hurt then the sport gets real expensive. Go out get
warmed up, then slow down. Be careful the sport can be addictive.

heavy wrote:
> Do it.
> Your first couple of races is all about learning, not racing. In your
> first few races you will find new unexpected ways of screwing up.
> That's is part of the sport. Just don't get too excited and go out too
> hard, take it easy, it all about pace and if you get in trouble QUIT.
> If you get sick or hurt then the sport gets real expensive. Go out get
> warmed up, then slow down. Be careful the sport can be addictive.

Get into the pool ASAP. Swim 2000 yd or m at least once a week. That
should be your goal for swiming regarding minmum training. Knowing that
you CAN do the swim will give you mental endurance to finish the swim
if you are not good at it. Being in the water and having to swim 1.5 km
without proper training can be VERY frustrating... Will make your race
miserable and NOT FUN at all.

I did my first olympic tri with about the same amount of training. I
was a casual jogger, I knew how to swim, and owned a mountain bike. I
knew if I could finish the swim, I could make my way through the other
two events.

I practices swimming in a pool until I could handle 1 mile comfortably.
I ran and biked but rarely did them consecutively.

The most important thing I learned was, swimming a mile in a pool is
nothing like an open water swim with currents and 100's of other
swimmers. 5 minutes into the race I was thinking about quitting. So
much of swimming is getting into a rythmn, and I never made it. It
wasn't until the crowd thinned out that I was able to make progress.
It's easy to swim straight in a pool with a lane. I had no idea where
I was going. Twice I was alerted by the someone in a safety kayak that
the current had taken me down river. The swim ended up taking me twice
as long as I planned.

Other advice is work on your transition between biking and running.
When you jump off your bike and start running, you legs will feel like
they are made of stone. You can google lots of information on brick
workouts.

Do it and have fun!

CTM