Is Wearing A Reflector Necessary During The Day Or At Night Only?

I've never been a fan of the reflectors on bikes, especially during the day but a great alternative is the reflective jackets or the sleeveless types. Just this evening while coming home along a pitch black road I encountered a cyclist who was wearing a reflective jacket and was lit up to a point where not seeing him would be impossible as soon as my lights caught him.

It's making me consider getting one for my night time rides.

You should wear your reflector anytime you go out riding be it during the day or at night. This is the only way you can be visible to other road users. Imagine you have gone out riding and it is foggy, you will not be clearly visible to motorists hence risking being involved in an accident.

You should wear your reflector anytime you go out riding be it during the day or at night. This is the only way you can be visible to other road users. Imagine you have gone out riding and it is foggy, you will not be clearly visible to motorists hence risking being involved in an accident.

Would powerful LED lights do the same sort of thing?

I'm a little sceptical as to if reflectors or any sort of reflective jacket would be good during fog. Would it not be better to have lights on so that you're making yourself be known by "broadcasting" your presence via the beam of light?

Would powerful LED lights do the same sort of thing?

I'm a little sceptical as to if reflectors or any sort of reflective jacket would be good during fog. Would it not be better to have lights on so that you're making yourself be known by "broadcasting" your presence via the beam of light?

That is woefully misguided. It sounds like the thinking of people in cars that use their high beams in the fog. All the succeed in doing is reducing visible area because the moisture causing the fog reflects the brighter light. Some light is good, but bright light, is not in the case of fog. In any case reflectors are necessary at all times of day and in any weather.

I think whenever it involves safety there's shouldn't even be a question. Here in Los Angeles traffic is crazy and so are the drivers so I have mine on all the time

That is woefully misguided. It sounds like the thinking of people in cars that use their high beams in the fog. All the succeed in doing is reducing visible area because the moisture causing the fog reflects the brighter light. Some light is good, but bright light, is not in the case of fog. In any case reflectors are necessary at all times of day and in any weather.

I'm completely off then! :D

I was thinking along the same lines as to how fog lights work on a car.

@Susimi Fog lights are low intensity and mounted lower on a vehicle. They are also often an amber color rather than a bright white halogen set up. They are usually designed to avoid refracting in the moisture and blinding others.

@Susimi Fog lights are low intensity and mounted lower on a vehicle. They are also often an amber color rather than a bright white halogen set up. They are usually designed to avoid refracting in the moisture and blinding others.

Many thanks for the info on different lights :)

Learned a little something new.

Technically you are suppose to in the USA have reflectors at all times of the day or night even though during the day they are useless. However passive lighting, reflectors, should never be relied on, you should always use active lighting at night both in the front and rear.

The thing is, even if it is a nice and sunny day when you go out, you cannot fully predict weather. So let's say, you go out and do not wear your gears because, it's a fine weather out and then suddenly, it rains and it gets dark as well. So for me, it's better to wear them all, your gears, so that if the inevitable weather change happens, you're ready. Or you can bring them, at least, to wherever you're going. It might be bulky and heavy on your backpack but it's better to be safe than sorry.

The thing is, even if it is a nice and sunny day when you go out, you cannot fully predict weather. So let's say, you go out and do not wear your gears because, it's a fine weather out and then suddenly, it rains and it gets dark as well. So for me, it's better to wear them all, your gears, so that if the inevitable weather change happens, you're ready. Or you can bring them, at least, to wherever you're going. It might be bulky and heavy on your backpack but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I look at the weather forecast before I leave; but I always have my brightest rear tail light on the bike anyways so I would just simply switch it on, which while riding on city streets I have it on anyways on a very sunny day.

Visibility is key, how you achive it is up too you.
Flashing LED's do most well, a reflective anything especially a vest is a good idea.
But there are lots of ways to be seen, so if vests are your scene to be seen with then anything else will do!