Is weight training beneficial?

spiz

Guest
All

I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help
enhance cycling performance. Any feedback or on-line resources would
be welcomed.

Spiro:)

--

spiz wrote:

> All
>
> I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help
> enhance cycling performance.

Yes.

> Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.

Two purposes; power improvement and balanced muscle development.

You just need someone who can help you adjust it for your bicycling
style.

spiz <[email protected]> wrote in news:SUILb.76047$455.30737
@fe16.usenetserver.com:

> All
>
> I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help
> enhance cycling performance. Any feedback or on-line resources would
> be welcomed.
>
> Spiro:)

Coach Ric Stern says not, except for a couple of special cases:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

Dislaimer: I work for Cyclingnews.com

Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> spiz wrote:
> >
> > All
> >
> > I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help
> > enhance cycling performance.

> Yes.
>
> > Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.

> Two purposes; power improvement and balanced muscle development.
>
> You just need someone who can help you adjust it for your bicycling
> style.

If you are an endurance rider (most cyclists) then weight training is
contrary to mitochondria and capillary development. As of this date,
evidence only points to weight training benefiting anaerobic track
match sprinters/kilo TT/keirin riders.

"John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message [...]
> Coach Ric Stern says not, except for a couple of special cases:

Apologies for warping the thread a bit, but if you disregard cycling
performance and look at the bigger picture (your overall health & fitness),
wouldn't moderate exercise doing upper body strength exercises be a great
way to bring balance to your physique?

Lots & lots of cycling will give you really strong legs, even just a low
1700Ks per year will give you reasonably strong ones (my case). I used to do
much more, probably 6000-7000Ks per year but that was up till 2001 when
cycling in Oslo, Norway - so that gave me a bit of a base which is still
sort of in place even with the low Ks I'm doing now.

Now I cycle mainly to work for fitness & convenience, averaging 25-30 kph
when not waiting for red lights (when I do; mainly the big ones). This is on
a reasonably good Gary Fisher MTB with combo slicks (knobbed sidewalls for
the occasional mud cornering, flat top for better city riding).

Combined with treadmill running [my knees are a bit bad and treadmill is the
only running I can do], I might do my legs over in the gym 6 times per year;
I don't need anything else to keep them in balance with my upper body which
is what I mainly train.

Also, if you're a total nut & can't go a day without exercise, splitting it
up with one or two days of upper body strength might give your legs some
much needed recovery time.

Just my $0.02c.

When I raced i dabbled with weight training.
I performed "leg extensions" and "leg curls" one week. In my Saturday race,
I could power away up a steep hill, but by the time I got to the top I was
stuffed (dropped everyone else in the race though and had a good 30-40
second lead).
So, in my experience, weight training has benifits. Development of my
aerobic system dragged behind though so the power applied up the hills was
anaerobic.

news:[email protected]...

spiz wrote:
> All
> I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help
> enhance cycling performance. Any feedback or on-line resources would
> be welcomed.
> Spiro:)

Some information you might find interesting at this link http://www.bod-
ybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htmhttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htm.
It's targeted at MTB but just as applicable to cycling in general I
would think. Cheers, Troy

--

ftf wrote:
> Some information you might find interesting at this link http://www.bod-
> ybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htmhttp://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htm.
> It's targeted at MTB but just as applicable to cycling in general I
> would think. Cheers, Troy

For starters that's an excellent link. I've long had to contend with th
after effects of neck/shoulder injuries, and have been interested i
doing weight training to build upper body strength for MTB riding.
couple of reps at a time, with adequate research and/or supervision jus
might prove beneficial. ta ;

-