Is weight training beneficial?

spiz

New Member
Dec 26, 2003
All

I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help enhance cycling performance. Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.

Spiro:)

spiz wrote:

> All
>
> I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help enhance cycling performance.

Yes.

> Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.

Two purposes; power improvement and balanced muscle development.

You just need someone who can help you adjust it for your bicycling style.

Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> spiz wrote:
> >
> > All
> >
> > I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help enhance cycling performance.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.
>
> Two purposes; power improvement and balanced muscle development.
>
> You just need someone who can help you adjust it for your bicycling style.

If you are an endurance rider (most cyclists) then weight training is contrary to mitochondria and
capillary development. As of this date, evidence only points to weight training benefiting anaerobic
track match sprinters/kilo TT/keirin riders.

"John Stevenson" <[email protected]> wrote in message [...]
> Coach Ric Stern says not, except for a couple of special cases:

Apologies for warping the thread a bit, but if you disregard cycling performance and look at the
bigger picture (your overall health & fitness), wouldn't moderate exercise doing upper body strength
exercises be a great way to bring balance to your physique?

Lots & lots of cycling will give you really strong legs, even just a low 1700Ks per year will give
you reasonably strong ones (my case). I used to do much more, probably 6000-7000Ks per year but that
was up till 2001 when cycling in Oslo, Norway - so that gave me a bit of a base which is still sort
of in place even with the low Ks I'm doing now.

Now I cycle mainly to work for fitness & convenience, averaging 25-30 kph when not waiting for red
lights (when I do; mainly the big ones). This is on a reasonably good Gary Fisher MTB with combo
slicks (knobbed sidewalls for the occasional mud cornering, flat top for better city riding).

Combined with treadmill running [my knees are a bit bad and treadmill is the only running I can do],
I might do my legs over in the gym 6 times per year; I don't need anything else to keep them in
balance with my upper body which is what I mainly train.

Also, if you're a total nut & can't go a day without exercise, splitting it up with one or two days
of upper body strength might give your legs some much needed recovery time.

Just my $0.02c.

When I raced i dabbled with weight training. I performed "leg extensions" and "leg curls" one week.
In my Saturday race, I could power away up a steep hill, but by the time I got to the top I was
stuffed (dropped everyone else in the race though and had a good 30-40 second lead). So, in my
experience, weight training has benifits. Development of my aerobic system dragged behind though so
the power applied up the hills was anaerobic.

"Veloflash" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Terry Collins <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > spiz wrote:
> > >
> > > All
> > >
> > > I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help enhance cycling performance.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.
> >
> > Two purposes; power improvement and balanced muscle development.
> >
> > You just need someone who can help you adjust it for your bicycling style.
>

> If you are an endurance rider (most cyclists) then weight training is contrary to mitochondria and
> capillary development. As of this date, evidence only points to weight training benefiting
> anaerobic track match sprinters/kilo TT/keirin riders.

Originally posted by spiz
All

I am looking for information on whether wieght training can help enhance cycling performance. Any feedback or on-line resources would be welcomed.

Spiro:)

Some information you might find interesting at this link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htm. It's targeted at MTB but just as applicable to cycling in general I would think.
Cheers,
Troy

Originally posted by ftf
Some information you might find interesting at this link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa21.htm. It's targeted at MTB but just as applicable to cycling in general I would think.
Cheers,
Troy

For starters that's an excellent link. I've long had to contend with the after effects of neck/shoulder injuries, and have been interested in doing weight training to build upper body strength for MTB riding. A couple of reps at a time, with adequate research and/or supervision just might prove beneficial. ta ;)