Is Wellgo fully SPD compatible?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dennisg, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike. But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB pedals fully SPD compatible?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Tags:

  2. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
    > But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
    > pedals fully SPD compatible?

    I've always used Shimano cleats with Wellgo (813) and Ritchey (Mtn Comp V2) pedals, without any
    problems or issues.

    RichC

  3. A shy person asked:

    > I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
    > But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
    > pedals fully SPD compatible?

    My fleet has a mix of Shimano SPD and Wellgo pedals. I use the Shimano "Multi-Release" cleat. The
    Wellgos work OK, but don't hold as tightly in general.

    I've tried the Wellgo cleats, but they are hard to release from Shimano pedals.

    Sheldon "OK With Shimano Cleats" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | If you have ties to Greater Boston, you might | enjoy a classic reproduction street map: |
    | http://communityheritagemaps.com |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
    > But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
    > pedals fully SPD compatible?

    Some yes, some no, in my experience. I used the 801 (I think), and it was compatible with Shimano
    cleats (multi-release), but the 823 is not. 823 cleats seem to work with Shimano pedals though.

  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    dennisg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
    > But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
    > pedals fully SPD compatible?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    not quite your question, but..

    my pedals are nashbar (relabeled wellgo) 'special' spd. wellgo also makes spd knockoffs that are
    supposed to mate better with shimano spd. my cleats work passably with some shimano pedals, and are
    useless in others, and are useless in some wellgo pedals. this is not to say that the spd-compatible
    knockoffs are bad. im just warning that there are various cleats from wellgo, and you should be
    aware that not all have any intention of mating with the S system.

    cheers

  6. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    The Wellgo SPD compatible models are fully compatible. The non compatible models are not. Make sure
    that you get the fully compatible model.

    Andres

  7. dennisg wrote:

    > I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
    > But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
    > pedals fully SPD compatible?

    My Cyclocross Bike came with Wellgo pedals. I already had Shimanos on my mountain bikes (and my
    shoes :->), but I figured I'd give mixing a try. Eventually I bought some Shimanos for the
    Cyclocross bike; I had to crank the Wellgo down so hard to keep from popping out all the time that
    I could barely get clipped in. All three models of Shimanos I've got seem to be okay with the
    Shimano cleats.

    It's a bummer.

    Duke

  8. Yes, they are compatable. In fact, the "Nashbar" SPD's are actually Wellgo's, and they, too, use SPD
    cleats. I have "Nashba"/Wellgoes on my tourer.

  9. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" at [email protected] wrote on 6/12/03 5:11 PM:

    > Yes, they are compatable. In fact, the "Nashbar" SPD's are actually Wellgo's, and they, too, use
    > SPD cleats. I have "Nashba"/Wellgoes on my tourer.

    I think that simplifies the facts a bit too much. Wellgo has made a variety of SPD-type pedals for a
    wide range of companies over the years. Many of them (Ritchey models, for example), use a cleat that
    is at best a "B" class fit. I have a set of Scott/Wellgo's which will not seat an SPD cleat at all.

    You do need to make sure that they are designed to work with SPD cleats, you cannot assume
    that it will.

    -- jim