Is Wellgo fully SPD compatible?

dennisg

New Member
Mar 11, 2003
I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike. But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB pedals fully SPD compatible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

"dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
> But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
> pedals fully SPD compatible?

I've always used Shimano cleats with Wellgo (813) and Ritchey (Mtn Comp V2) pedals, without any
problems or issues.

RichC

A shy person asked:

> I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
> But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
> pedals fully SPD compatible?

My fleet has a mix of Shimano SPD and Wellgo pedals. I use the Shimano "Multi-Release" cleat. The
Wellgos work OK, but don't hold as tightly in general.

I've tried the Wellgo cleats, but they are hard to release from Shimano pedals.

Sheldon "OK With Shimano Cleats" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
| If you have ties to Greater Boston, you might | enjoy a classic reproduction street map: |
| http://communityheritagemaps.com |
+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

"dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
> But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
> pedals fully SPD compatible?

Some yes, some no, in my experience. I used the 801 (I think), and it was compatible with Shimano
cleats (multi-release), but the 823 is not. 823 cleats seem to work with Shimano pedals though.

dennisg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
> But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
> pedals fully SPD compatible?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

not quite your question, but..

my pedals are nashbar (relabeled wellgo) 'special' spd. wellgo also makes spd knockoffs that are
supposed to mate better with shimano spd. my cleats work passably with some shimano pedals, and are
useless in others, and are useless in some wellgo pedals. this is not to say that the spd-compatible
knockoffs are bad. im just warning that there are various cleats from wellgo, and you should be
aware that not all have any intention of mating with the S system.

cheers

The Wellgo SPD compatible models are fully compatible. The non compatible models are not. Make sure
that you get the fully compatible model.

Andres

dennisg wrote:

> I have a pair of Shimano 959s on one bike, and I'd like to put a cheaper pedal on my other bike.
> But I want to make sure they both use the same cleats. The question is this: Are any Wellgo MTB
> pedals fully SPD compatible?

My Cyclocross Bike came with Wellgo pedals. I already had Shimanos on my mountain bikes (and my
shoes :->), but I figured I'd give mixing a try. Eventually I bought some Shimanos for the
Cyclocross bike; I had to crank the Wellgo down so hard to keep from popping out all the time that
I could barely get clipped in. All three models of Shimanos I've got seem to be okay with the
Shimano cleats.

It's a bummer.

Duke

Yes, they are compatable. In fact, the "Nashbar" SPD's are actually Wellgo's, and they, too, use SPD
cleats. I have "Nashba"/Wellgoes on my tourer.

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" at [email protected] wrote on 6/12/03 5:11 PM:

> Yes, they are compatable. In fact, the "Nashbar" SPD's are actually Wellgo's, and they, too, use
> SPD cleats. I have "Nashba"/Wellgoes on my tourer.

I think that simplifies the facts a bit too much. Wellgo has made a variety of SPD-type pedals for a
wide range of companies over the years. Many of them (Ritchey models, for example), use a cleat that
is at best a "B" class fit. I have a set of Scott/Wellgo's which will not seat an SPD cleat at all.

You do need to make sure that they are designed to work with SPD cleats, you cannot assume
that it will.

-- jim