Is your cycling club full of older riders?

I got my ass kicked awhile ago by someone over twice my age lol. I wasn't in peak shape, but he was still a badass rider

I was trying to get up Kennesaw Mountain, (1.5 miles) here in Georgia, for awhile. The first time I made it all the up, I was probably 43 or 44. After I got back down I saw a couple of younger fellows and I talked to them for a few minutes. They said they had just come back from their 4th trip up, that day. Then one pointed to another guy who was just coming down. He said; "That's Phil, this is his 6th trip up today." Phil must have been 65+
I don't care how old you are.

Yes, and it's a cause for concern. Our club's average age goes up just about 1 year per year. It seems that not many youngsters are riding bikes, or if they are, it's just for triathlons and such, and they don't feel the need to be in a club. Has anybody hit on a good way to attract younger riders?

Chance3290 said:
..."That's Phil, this is his 6th trip up today." Phil must have been 65+ I don't care how old you are.

Brilliant :p ... let that be us!

I am a younger rider (15) and I think the best way to attract other younger riders is to just tell them what is going on in our sport ( where the local races are) because when I started I was completely clueless about the races in my area.

Yes.........probably about 75% are the 30+ age group with half of them 40+. Of the remaining 25% only 2 are under age 20.

I think the kids are riding bikes but many of them are doing the MTBs for simple economic reasons........for what you pay for an entry level road bike you can have a darn good MTB.

The trend I see(and hear) is many MTBers seem to switch to road riding as they age......it`s more time efficient(out the door and on the bike rather than heading out to a trail head outside the city), easier on the body and as they develop careers they have the coin to invest in the pricey sport of road cycling.

Yup........there are some Master A/B riders in our club who are freaking cycling machines. If the body has been well maintained and cared for age means little and older riders have a wealth of experience.

The club I race with has mostly older 35+ riders and some are ex pros, just when you think you're young and doin alright - you get dropped by ol pops.
As they say... Many-a-good tune's been played on an old fiddle ;) :D

Unfortunately the sport of road cycling doesn't seem to appeal to many young people so there is a far greater proportion of older (35+) riders. Some clubs, such as Broncos, seem to attract more young riders to their club by running more junior events.

The reason I posted this is because I'm frustrated by the club in my hometown. Literally nobody under 35, and unfortunately, they ain't too friendly! It's their own little clique, and all the rides and meetings/gatherings are geared towards them. I feel like little Jimmy going to the company picnic with his parents.

Funny thing is, the BIG club in the BIG city nearby is full of younger riders and part-time or full time racer types. Of course, this group is an elitist club of riders with nothing but full-carbon bikes and such, who don't hesitate to criticize my entry level bike. Biggest collection of attitudes and spoiled rich kids I've seen since high school.

I can't find a home, and starting a club of my own isn't an option. I guess it's like this everywhere.

Olasnah said:
The reason I posted this is because I'm frustrated by the club in my hometown. Literally nobody under 35, and unfortunately, they ain't too friendly! It's their own little clique, and all the rides and meetings/gatherings are geared towards them. I feel like little Jimmy going to the company picnic with his parents.

Funny thing is, the BIG club in the BIG city nearby is full of younger riders and part-time or full time racer types. Of course, this group is an elitist club of riders with nothing but full-carbon bikes and such, who don't hesitate to criticize my entry level bike. Biggest collection of attitudes and spoiled rich kids I've seen since high school.

I can't find a home, and starting a club of my own isn't an option. I guess it's like this everywhere.
Most everybody I meet are friendly, older & younger likewise. Don't try to keep up with the Jone's, ride the bike you have. It's easy.

Olasnah said:

I don't think it's like that everywhere. In my area there are at least 3 to 4 clubs, each for specific type of riders. One is the elitist racers, another is for older riders, and still another for fast riders who don't race. The club I belong to is a development club for all ages with a focus on younger riders. Keep looking for a club and good luck.

Dan.

I agree. I'm the second youngest, 20 year-old, Cat 5, in my club, not the racing team. It doesn't matter how old they are whenever you ride with Cat2 & 3 riders.

The funny thing is that.. I had a hard time staying with this one 60 years old looking guy on a flat road until we got to the hills. We were going pretty quick on a flat @ 23-25mph but he coudln't climb well. Since this day, I have so much respect towards elder riders.

Olasnah said:
???????????

Don't know where you're from but try the bike shops around there. Often there are several group and its more likely you'll find a group that fits. The ages often don't matter, but the type of ride does. I'm 46 and I don't like hammering too much so Ijust found a group ride that touted itself as having a moderate pace. Often, even the badasses need a recovery ride so moderate paced rides are often scheduled in. Even the "young" people do these rides and need to keep the pace down. While you do these get to know 'em!

Olasnah said:

At 41 I'm probably one of the youngest guys in my club. After a year, I can honestly say that my club buddies are some of my best friends. Depending on your fitness level you may want to try out some local crits. The cat 5/citizen races are full of younger riders with entry level bikes and less attitudes. I'm sure there are plenty of riders out there that would love to ride with you. Our sport may seem elitist at times, but there are lot's of folks that just love to ride and don't care if you have a $5,000 bike. Good luck.
Pete
:cool: