Is your daughter a future champ?

Sillyoldtwit

Jan 13, 2006
If you would like your daughter to take up cycling, check her ring finger length first.

No joking!

If you look at your hand, you will see your ring finger is longer than your index finger. And if you look at your wife's/girfriend's ring finger, the chances are it will be shorter than her index finger.

Research has shown that girls who excel in sports, generally have a longer ring finger than index finger. Something to do with their genes apparently.

So if your daughter/girfriend has a longer ring finger than index finger, get her on the bike pronto! :D TYSON

Hmmm.....let's have look shall we Tyson?

Index finger....ok, check....Ring finger....aha...

Longer ring finger than index finger. Oh and all of us in my family do. The same family who, save for me, are all sedentary and honestly, carrying a bit much weight. Admittedly I was too, till about 3 months ago when I started riding.

So the real question is: will this net me an extra 20 watts on my FTP once I get my new PT pro in 2 weeks?
biggrin.gif

P.S. RDO casually mentioned the 'its killing me' thread. Phenomenal! I'm envious. I hope I picked the right parents
cool.gif

My 4 yr old daughter who is very strong and seems to have a gift for athletisism (or I am just a proud poppa) ring finger is longer than her index finger. But were not going to push her into any sports. Its nice to know that shes predisposed to maybe better endurance and strength though when she finds something she likes!!!

rayhuang said:
My 4 yr old daughter who is very strong and seems to have a gift for athletisism (or I am just a proud poppa) ring finger is longer than her index finger. But were not going to push her into any sports. Its nice to know that shes predisposed to maybe better endurance and strength though when she finds something she likes!!!
Now that's a smart dad
biggrin.gif

To all you other dads out there: BRING IT ON!!

10 and 8 yrs old, and just check out those ring fingers! And before you ask, their max HRs are both over 220..... :cool:

frenchyge said:
To all you other dads out there: BRING IT ON!!

10 and 8 yrs old, and just check out those ring fingers! And before you ask, their max HRs are both over 220..... :cool:
there max hr doesnt mean a thing

frenchyge said:
Maybe a short ring finger on boys correlates with a penchant for fashion and interior design? :D

It does actually. A chap in the UK has done a lot of research in this area. On a TV show on high performance sport he took a group of 10 athletes, measured their finger lengths and then predicted a running race result. Apart from two runners being the wrong way round his results matched the real results.

Some of his other research did indicate a higher disposition towards Homosexuality in those with a longer ring finger.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Did the research also correlate racial background with its theory/result? Also how about gene, physical condition (ie. people with flat feet and wobble (very flexible ankle) usually need more training to adapt to their condition).
Sorry, it's not that I doubt the research, but coming from science background, it made me a sceptical person especially knowing there are so many researches which is approved but it's arguable by other scientists:)

My ring finger is shorter than my index finger, and I don't like WWF, I like art and animation (can't draw though), I'm small but running like chicken with no head :p mmm... does it indicate something?

frenchyge said:
Maybe a short ring finger on boys correlates with a penchant for fashion and interior design? :D
I don't know but I've always felt like a lesbian trapped in a man's body!

Read an article recently that said that if ring finger is longer, then apart from being athletic, you will have less trouble getting it up when you are older.

Sillyoldtwit said:
If you would like your daughter to take up cycling, check her ring finger length first.

No joking!

If you look at your hand, you will see your ring finger is longer than your index finger. And if you look at your wife's/girfriend's ring finger, the chances are it will be shorter than her index finger.

Research has shown that girls who excel in sports, generally have a longer ring finger than index finger. Something to do with their genes apparently.

So if your daughter/girfriend has a longer ring finger than index finger, get her on the bike pronto! :D TYSON
Haha! I heard when I was a kid from someone that if your index is shorter than your ring finger, it means you are gay! lol...needless to say everyone in my juniour highschool classes were meticulously analyzing their hands all day long...

K50 said:
Haha! I heard when I was a kid from someone that if your index is shorter than your ring finger, it means you are gay! lol...needless to say everyone in my juniour highschool classes were meticulously analyzing their hands all day long...
Thats funny Kev.

So that must be why guys keep trying to pick me up at the gym.

mikesbytes said:
Thats funny Kev.

So that must be why guys keep trying to pick me up at the gym.
:D Yeah maybe. The funny thing for me is that two guys have asked me out before lol... Must be something else! But that's fine, because I get more than enough attention from the girls anyways.. If nothing else it makes for some pretty funny stories to tell!

K50 said:
:D Yeah maybe. The funny thing for me is that two guys have asked me out before lol... Must be something else! But that's fine, because I get more than enough attention from the girls anyways.. If nothing else it makes for some pretty funny stories to tell!
Hey Kev, don't let those girls distract you at the gym, remember you are there for you own physic.

mikesbytes said:
Hey Kev, don't let those girls distract you at the gym, remember you are there for you own physic.
haha, yup. If you can pedal away and not get distracted by athletic, very attractive women, that makes you a king among the rest of us!! :p

K50 said:
haha, yup. If you can pedal away and not get distracted by athletic, very attractive women, that makes you a king among the rest of us!! :p
At least you arn't going to ride into a pole at the gym.