Is ....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Centurian_ooo'Y, May 10, 2004.

  1. VAT payable on cycling clothes??

    Muckle Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Centurian_Ooo'yabass" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > VAT payable on cycling clothes??
    >
    > Muckle Thanks

    On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.677 /
    Virus Database: 439 - Release Date: 04/05/2004

  3. Simon D

    Simon D Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Centurian_Ooo'yabass" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > text.cableinet.net...
    > > VAT payable on cycling clothes??
    > >
    > > Muckle Thanks
    > >

    > On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.

    You believe correctly.

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.681 /
    Virus Database: 443 - Release Date: 10/05/2004

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.

    On first reading I thought you meant "bar helmets" and then
    wondered how drunk you'd have to get to warrant wearing a
    helmet in a bar? :-/

    Graeme

  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > text.dial.pipex.com:
    >
    > > On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.
    > >

    > On first reading I thought you meant "bar helmets" and
    > then wondered how drunk you'd have to get to warrant
    > wearing a helmet in a bar? :-/
    >
    > Graeme

    Sorry Graeme. Is that a northern expression then? Sometimes
    I think I'm speaking (typing) as the Queen herself would
    deem appropriate and then I realise I sound like an extra
    from Emmerdale Farm :)

    ---

  6. On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:59:23 GMT, Graeme wrote:
    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > text.dial.pipex.com:
    >
    >> On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.
    >>

    > On first reading I thought you meant "bar helmets" and
    > then wondered how drunk you'd have to get to warrant
    > wearing a helmet in a bar? :-/

    It's like a bar tat, as in "On Ilkley Moor bar t'at".
    That's an tale about a young man who ventured forth onto
    said moor without his helmet, and before he knew it he had
    caught his deeth and ended up deed and buried, feeding the
    worms, who were fed on by ducks, who were fed on by the
    original story teller, who therefore fed indiractly on the
    original miscreant. So, children, always wear your helmet,
    or someone will eat you. Sadly, "On Ilkley moor bar
    t'elmet" didn't rhyme.

    --
    Trevor Barton

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Graeme
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > text.dial.pipex.com:
    >
    >> On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.
    >>

    > On first reading I thought you meant "bar helmets" and
    > then wondered how drunk you'd have to get to warrant
    > wearing a helmet in a bar? :-/

    I assumed it was a special helmet to fit over the
    handlebars, to protect them from injury.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like
    LINUX.' ;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/r-
    esponse03.html

  8. "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Centurian_Ooo'yabass" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > text.cableinet.net...
    > > VAT payable on cycling clothes??
    > >
    > > Muckle Thanks
    > >

    > On all bar helmets and kids clothing I believe.

    So if someone developed a "full body helmet" then they could
    effectively sell "clothing" totally vat free?

  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > So if someone developed a "full body helmet" then they
    > could effectively sell "clothing" totally vat free?

    Yes, Adrian, they could do just that.

    <sigh

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:03:55 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It's like a bar tat, as in "On Ilkley Moor bar t'at".
    >That's an tale about a young man who ventured forth onto
    >said moor without his helmet, and before he knew it he had
    >caught his deeth and ended up deed and buried, feeding the
    >worms, who were fed on by ducks, who were fed on by the
    >original story teller, who therefore fed indiractly on the
    >original miscreant. So, children, always wear your helmet,
    >or someone will eat you. Sadly, "On Ilkley moor bar
    >t'elmet" didn't rhyme.

    I've never heard the tale recounted quite that way,
    Trevor. But then again I am from Lancashire so whadda I
    know, bye gum.

    James

  11. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    text.dial.pipex.com:

    > Sorry Graeme. Is that a northern expression then?

    No, it's a perfectly normal expression, my comment was more
    a sign of how my mind works (or rather doesn't) :)

    Graeme

  12. robbiew

    robbiew New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2003
    My sister works in the INtensive care unit of a local hospital and tells me that falling off bar stoools when drunk is quite a common cause of head injury amongst the patients in her ward . This is exactly the sort of injury that could be prevented by wearing a cycle helmet. Are there any MPs out there willing to sponsor a private members bill to make bar fly helmets compulsary? Or should we really be looking to shift the burden on the the dealers: ie force all bars to fit deep pile carpets?

  13. Centurian_Ooo'yabass wrote:
    > VAT payable on cycling clothes??
    >
    > Muckle Thanks

    Yes, but I don't know how you'd be able to make a case to
    claim it back as being essential for business unless your
    name is Lance...

    Regards,

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Connolly http://www.acutecomputing.co.uk Derby UK

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    robbiew <[email protected]> wrote in news:2a6oc.12638$m7.567
    @fe02.usenetserver.com:

    > Or should we really be looking to shift the burden on the
    > the dealers: ie force all bars to fit deep pile carpets?

    If they went back to the old days of sawdust on the floors
    you could just pile it on a bit thicker. :)

    Graeme

  15. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I assumed it was a special helmet to fit over the
    > handlebars, to protect them from injury.

    Of course it can only protect them from minor scratches and
    dings. In serious crashes the extra rotational force might
    actually increase damage to the headset.

    --
    Dave...

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    robbiew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > My sister works in the INtensive care unit of a local
    > hospital and tells me that falling off bar stoools when
    > drunk is quite a common cause of head injury amongst the
    > patients in her ward . This is exactly the sort of injury
    > that could be prevented by wearing a cycle helmet.

    It would be interesting (and useful) to know whether these
    actually outnumbered cycling head injuries.

    > Are there any MPs out there willing to sponsor a private
    > members bill to make bar fly helmets compulsary?

    Probably not, as this would affect most of the honourable
    members themselves.

    > Or should we really be looking to shift the burden on the
    > the dealers: ie force all bars to fit deep pile carpets?

    BHIT - The Bar Helmet Initiative Trust.

    --
    Dave...

  17. crystal_tears_