ISIS or Octalink

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin Collins

What woudl you guys go with? I need a new crank/BB set up Im thinking xtr crank and bb or race
face (isis)

what's your take?

Justin

--

--
Justin Collins [email protected]

there have been a few durability problems with the ISIS design, so I'd have to begrudgingly
say octalink

Nik "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:NN%[email protected]...
> What woudl you guys go with? I need a new crank/BB set up Im thinking xtr crank and bb or race
> face (isis)
>
> what's your take?
>
> Justin
>
> --
>
> --
> Justin Collins [email protected]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:23:24 +0100, "Nik Johnson" <[email protected]> blathered:

>there have been a few durability problems with the ISIS design, so I'd have to begrudgingly
>say octalink

I'd agree, but be aware the XT chainrings are made of cheese. Still worth buying for the cranks & BB
alone, but resign yourself to the fact you'll have to replace the chainrings fairly soon (I've just
had to buy new rings after two months of admittedly fairly intense riding).

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:23:24 +0100, "Nik Johnson" <[email protected]> blathered:
>
> >there have been a few durability problems with the ISIS design, so I'd have to begrudgingly say
> >octalink
>
> I'd agree, but be aware the XT chainrings are made of cheese. Still worth buying for the cranks &
> BB alone, but resign yourself to the fact you'll have to replace the chainrings fairly soon (I've
> just had to buy new rings after two months of admittedly fairly intense riding).

You? Intense riding? Now I've seen it all. We now know that most of your pics are taken while
hiking. The occasional bicycle in the photos must be from your trusty assistant "Shep" who happens
to pass you in your foot travels.

JD

On 28 Apr 2003 08:31:38 -0700, [email protected] (JD) blathered:

>You? Intense riding? Now I've seen it all. We now know that most of your pics are taken
>while hiking.

Yes it's true, at least for the coming week. I've just had an injection in my arm for tennis elbow,
so I have to stay off the bike for a week or so. Lots of hill wa*king in the next 7 days, then.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:NN%[email protected]...
>
>>What woudl you guys go with? I need a new crank/BB set up Im thinking xtr crank and bb or race
>>face (isis)
>>
>>what's your take?
>>
>>Justin
>>
>

>Nik Johnson wrote: there have been a few durability problems with the ISIS design, so I'd have to
>begrudgingly say octalink
>
> Nik

What durability problems?

I've been running them for about 2 years and put quite a bit of wear/miles on 'em. The cranks just
keep on going (RaceFace Next LP), and the BB's (Truvativ Sealex) seem to wear out their bearings at
about the same life that I was getting from Shimano BBs.

David

"David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:NN%[email protected]...
> >
> >>What woudl you guys go with? I need a new crank/BB set up Im thinking xtr crank and bb or race
> >>face (isis)
> >>
> >>what's your take?
> >>
> >>Justin
> >>
> >
>
> >Nik Johnson wrote: there have been a few durability problems with the ISIS design, so I'd have
> >to begrudgingly say octalink
> >
> > Nik
>
> What durability problems?
>
> I've been running them for about 2 years and put quite a bit of wear/miles on 'em. The cranks just
> keep on going (RaceFace Next LP), and the BB's (Truvativ Sealex) seem to wear out their bearings
> at about the same life that I was getting from Shimano BBs.
>
> David
>

I've never heard any complaints regarding the ISIS interface (except from people who couldn't
install them...of course, these are people who don't change their own inner tubes) but I do remember
hearing about a run of RF bb's that had bearing problems. Of course, that was only a limited run of
one model bb, and the problem was caught and correctd, so that's been sorted out.

So whatcha got Nik?

Chris

Chris wrote:

> I've never heard any complaints regarding the ISIS interface (except from people who couldn't
> install them...of course, these are people who don't change their own inner tubes)

Better do some background reserach on this.... http://www.raceface.com/contactus/

Q: Why won’t my ISIS Drive cranks go all the way onto my bottom bracket?

R: The tolerances between Race Face cranks and Race Face bottom brackets are very high. Sometimes,
extras steps are necessary to ensure your parts are installed properly. For example, if the crank
bolts are tightened down to recommended torque-spec the first time they are installed, 40
ft.-lbs, and your cranks aren’t bottomed out on the “hard-stop flange”, it’s best to do these
steps. Take the bike for an easy, low impact, meaning no jumps, drops, etc, 45-60 minute ride.
Always carry an 8mm crank-bolt wrench. Make sure the crank bolts are tight at all times. After
the ride, remove the cranks, regrease the bottom bracket spindle, rotate the cranks 90 degrees to
the original position they had on the spindle, re-install. Rarely, it may be necessary to
increase the torque on the crank-bolts by as much as 10-20 ft.-lbs, for a maximum of up to 60
ft.-lbs. Whenever this happens, use a new allen-head on the torque wrench. As well, use common
sense, avoid rounding out the crank-bolt itself, go slowly. Finally, when installing these
components, it’s best to go to your local bike shop, “LBS”, and ask them for assistance.

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
>
> Chris wrote:
>
>> I've never heard any complaints regarding the ISIS interface (except from people who couldn't
>> install them...of course, these are people who don't change their own inner tubes)
>
>
>
> Better do some background reserach on this.... http://www.raceface.com/contactus/
>
>
> Q: Why won’t my ISIS Drive cranks go all the way onto my bottom bracket?
>
> A: The tolerances between Race Face cranks and Race Face bottom brackets are very high. Sometimes,
> extras steps are necessary to ensure your parts are installed properly. For example, if the
> crank bolts are tightened down to recommended torque-spec the first time they are installed, 40
> ft.-lbs, and your cranks aren’t bottomed out on the “hard-stop flange”, it’s best to do these
> steps. Take the bike for an easy, low impact, meaning no jumps, drops, etc, 45-60 minute ride.
> Always carry an 8mm crank-bolt wrench. Make sure the crank bolts are tight at all times. After
> the ride, remove the cranks, regrease the bottom bracket spindle, rotate the cranks 90 degrees
> to the original position they had on the spindle, re-install. Rarely, it may be necessary to
> increase the torque on the crank-bolts by as much as 10-20 ft.-lbs, for a maximum of up to 60
> ft.-lbs. Whenever this happens, use a new allen-head on the torque wrench. As well, use common
> sense, avoid rounding out the crank-bolt itself, go slowly. Finally, when installing these
> components, it’s best to go to your local bike shop, “LBS”, and ask them for assistance.

RaceFace told me to go to as much as 60 ft-lbs directly (no riding first). That'a about what it took
to seat 'em the first couple of times that I put my Next LP's on. Now, the recommended 35 ft-lbs
works great -- but I've got over 12k miles on 'em :).

David

Status
Not open for further replies.