Isis splined BB

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MLee388407, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. MLee388407

    MLee388407 Guest

    I was going to buy a race face signature BB but did some research online before
    making the purchase. Ive seen some negatives about RF bearings wearing out
    fast. This BB is pretty pricey to wear out so quick. Does anyone know a good
    brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? TIA

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
    brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>

    FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. MLee388407

    MLee388407 Guest

    >From: [email protected]

    >FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

    --------------
    Smaller bearings = faster wearing?

    Pete, did race face redesign their signature xs to deal with their bearing
    problems I read about on the net?

    Mike

  4. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
    >brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

    Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
    For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    http://www.businesscycles.com
    Since 1983
    Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    -------------------------------

  5. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    >Campagnolo ) wrote:
    >
    >>mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
    >>brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
    >>
    >>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

    >Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
    >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
    >

    >-------------------------------
    >John Dacey
    >Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    >http://www.businesscycles.com
    >Since 1983
    >Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    >-------------------------------

    Dear John,

    A typo, I expect?

    I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
    large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

    Unless, God forbid, the Ultegra conceals 7/16" bearings?

    Carl Fogel

  6. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:10:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    >>Campagnolo ) wrote:
    >>
    >>>mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
    >>>brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
    >>>
    >>>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

    >>Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
    >>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    >>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    >>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    >>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
    >>-------------------------------

    >Dear John,
    >
    >A typo, I expect?
    >
    >I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
    >large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

    Oops. A few days in Vegas at Interbike have apparently compromised my
    sense of space and time. In an attempt to save face, I'll just pretend
    that I _meant_ to say that 7/32" balls in the Ultegra bottom brackets
    are half again as big (by volume) as 3/16" balls.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com

  7. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:32:18 -0400, John Dacey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:10:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
    >><[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
    >>>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    >>>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    >>>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    >>>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
    >>>-------------------------------

    >>Dear John,
    >>
    >>A typo, I expect?
    >>
    >>I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
    >>large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

    >Oops. A few days in Vegas at Interbike have apparently compromised my
    >sense of space and time. In an attempt to save face, I'll just pretend
    >that I _meant_ to say that 7/32" balls in the Ultegra bottom brackets
    >are half again as big (by volume) as 3/16" balls.
    >
    >-------------------------------
    >John Dacey
    >Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    >Since 1983
    >Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    >http://www.businesscycles.com

    Dear John,

    An excellent save! The pot is yours!

    Now place your winnings on the color of your choice as I
    roll this white ball bearing around a wheel that neither
    stands on nor hangs from its spokes . . .

    Carl Fogel

  8. JDacey wrote-<< Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball
    size. >><BR><BR>

    But in the case of FSA and other ISIS, it is.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  9. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >indicator of bearing ball size.
    >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

    Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
    Phil Brown

  10. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Phil Brown wrote:

    > >indicator of bearing ball size.
    > >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    > >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    > >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    > >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

    > Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
    > Phil Brown

    come on do the math: they are a whopping 59% bigger!
    --
    ---
    Marten

  11. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:12:25 +0200, m-gineering
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Phil Brown wrote:
    >>
    >> >indicator of bearing ball size.
    >> >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
    >> >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
    >> >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
    >> >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

    >> Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
    >> Phil Brown

    >come on do the math: they are a whopping 59% bigger!

    Dear John, Phil, and Marten,

    Oh, dear, we're quibbling and it's all my fault!

    a) The 7/32nds balls are 1/6th taller than the 3/16ths.
    b) They present 13/36ths more surface area.
    c) They contain 151/192nds more volume.

    Damn! If only I had a superscript ball for this typewriter!

    Lt. Col. J.B. Killian