Isis splined BB

MLee388407

Guest
I was going to buy a race face signature BB but did some research online before
making the purchase. Ive seen some negatives about RF bearings wearing out
fast. This BB is pretty pricey to wear out so quick. Does anyone know a good
brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? TIA

Mike

mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>

FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>From: [email protected]

>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

--------------
Smaller bearings = faster wearing?

Pete, did race face redesign their signature xs to deal with their bearing
problems I read about on the net?

Mike

On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
>brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
>
>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
>Campagnolo ) wrote:
>
>>mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
>>brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
>>
>>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

>Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
>

>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>http://www.businesscycles.com
>Since 1983
>Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
>-------------------------------

Dear John,

A typo, I expect?

I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

Unless, God forbid, the Ultegra conceals 7/16" bearings?

Carl Fogel

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:10:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On 10 Oct 2004 12:38:25 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
>>Campagnolo ) wrote:
>>
>>>mlee-<< Does anyone know a good
>>>brand ISIS BB that weighs in around 200-250 gram range? >><BR><BR>
>>>
>>>FSA but realize that the big spindle means little bearings..

>>Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
>>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
>>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
>>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
>>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
>>-------------------------------

>Dear John,
>
>A typo, I expect?
>
>I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
>large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

Oops. A few days in Vegas at Interbike have apparently compromised my
sense of space and time. In an attempt to save face, I'll just pretend
that I _meant_ to say that 7/32" balls in the Ultegra bottom brackets
are half again as big (by volume) as 3/16" balls.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:32:18 -0400, John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:10:36 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:21:03 -0400, John Dacey
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball size.
>>>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
>>>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
>>>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
>>>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.
>>>-------------------------------

>>Dear John,
>>
>>A typo, I expect?
>>
>>I assume that the small balls are 3/16" or 6/32", while the
>>large balls are 7/32", only a little bit bigger.

>Oops. A few days in Vegas at Interbike have apparently compromised my
>sense of space and time. In an attempt to save face, I'll just pretend
>that I _meant_ to say that 7/32" balls in the Ultegra bottom brackets
>are half again as big (by volume) as 3/16" balls.
>
>-------------------------------
>John Dacey
>Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
>Since 1983
>Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
>http://www.businesscycles.com

Dear John,

An excellent save! The pot is yours!

Now place your winnings on the color of your choice as I
roll this white ball bearing around a wheel that neither
stands on nor hangs from its spokes . . .

Carl Fogel

JDacey wrote-<< Spindle dimensions aren't a reliable indicator of bearing ball
size. >><BR><BR>

But in the case of FSA and other ISIS, it is.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>indicator of bearing ball size.
>For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
>but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
>bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
>bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
Phil Brown

Phil Brown wrote:

> >indicator of bearing ball size.
> >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
> >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
> >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
> >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

> Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
> Phil Brown

come on do the math: they are a whopping 59% bigger!
--
---
Marten

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:12:25 +0200, m-gineering
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Phil Brown wrote:
>>
>> >indicator of bearing ball size.
>> >For instance, Campagnolo Chorus spindles have traditional diameters,
>> >but the balls in right-side Chorus and Record bottom brackets are no
>> >bigger than 3/16". By comparison, the balls in a splined Ultegra
>> >bottom bracket are, at 7/32", more than twice as big.

>> Sorry, incorrect math. 3/16=6/32. They're only a 1/32nd bigger.
>> Phil Brown

>come on do the math: they are a whopping 59% bigger!

Dear John, Phil, and Marten,

Oh, dear, we're quibbling and it's all my fault!

a) The 7/32nds balls are 1/6th taller than the 3/16ths.
b) They present 13/36ths more surface area.
c) They contain 151/192nds more volume.

Damn! If only I had a superscript ball for this typewriter!

Lt. Col. J.B. Killian