isis vs octalink ????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by steevo, Feb 14, 2004.

1. steevo

steevo New Member

fsa cranks abound.
    which bb type? I do about 5 - 6000 miles yearly (on that bike) and want to replace the bb about once a year. are there advantages or disadvantages? is this argument online somewhere? thanks
    steevo

Tags:

2. rv

rv New Member

I don't know that there's any significant difference. issis was developed as an alternative to shimano's splined bb. shimano's octalink is a proprietary design and they didn't want to share. if you have shimano cranks, or think you might want some in the future, go octalink.

3. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Go ISIS. More choices in BB out there. With Octalink, you're restricted to Dura-Ace or Ultegra BBs. If you're buying a FSA crankset, why not also go with a FSA BB?

4. msrw

msrw New Member

Steevo, replace your BB once a year??? Whatever for? If you're only riding 6k/yr and are using high end equipment, there is no reason in the world to replace your BB every year.

5. dhk

dhk New Member

Agree, go ISIS with the FSA crankset and support "open" standards. Having a choice of components is a good thing for all.....Shimano gets enough of our business, IMO, and needs some competition both on design, quality and price.

I just got a frame built with the FSA Megatech OS BB, ISIS spindle, FSA Team Carbon Triple. It's got 43 mm industrial bearings, which I hope will last a lot more than 6K miles.