isis vs octalink ????

steevo

Dec 14, 2003
fsa cranks abound.
which bb type? I do about 5 - 6000 miles yearly (on that bike) and want to replace the bb about once a year. are there advantages or disadvantages? is this argument online somewhere? thanks
steevo

rv

Apr 13, 2002
I don't know that there's any significant difference. issis was developed as an alternative to shimano's splined bb. shimano's octalink is a proprietary design and they didn't want to share. if you have shimano cranks, or think you might want some in the future, go octalink.

Tech72

Nov 29, 2003
Originally posted by steevo
fsa cranks abound.
which bb type? I do about 5 - 6000 miles yearly (on that bike) and want to replace the bb about once a year. are there advantages or disadvantages? is this argument online somewhere? thanks
steevo

Go ISIS. More choices in BB out there. With Octalink, you're restricted to Dura-Ace or Ultegra BBs. If you're buying a FSA crankset, why not also go with a FSA BB?

msrw

Sep 13, 2003
Steevo, replace your BB once a year??? Whatever for? If you're only riding 6k/yr and are using high end equipment, there is no reason in the world to replace your BB every year.

dhk

Sep 1, 2003
Agree, go ISIS with the FSA crankset and support "open" standards. Having a choice of components is a good thing for all.....Shimano gets enough of our business, IMO, and needs some competition both on design, quality and price.

I just got a frame built with the FSA Megatech OS BB, ISIS spindle, FSA Team Carbon Triple. It's got 43 mm industrial bearings, which I hope will last a lot more than 6K miles.