Isle of Harris & Lewis

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Derek, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the Hebrides.
    Any information will be usefull.

    Tags:

  2. Aushiker

    Aushiker Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 00:12:04 GMT, "Derek " <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the Hebrides.
    >Any information will be usefull.

    Hi

    Did a Google search .... not much found but have a look athttp://www.google.com/search?q=walking+Harris+and+Lewis+in+the+Hebrides&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-
    8&oe=utf-8>. The walking groups might give you some pointers.

    Andrew

    http://aushiker.com - Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia 2003 Bibbulmun Track End to Ender
    President, Perth Bushwalkers Club - http://www.perthbushwalkers.asn.au

  3. Derek wrote

    > Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the Hebrides.
    > Any information will be usefull.

    Generally Harris is a very rough, boggy island with little in the way of comfortable walking in
    its interior. The northern shore is made up of a string of stunning, white sand beaches and
    turquoise seas, however. Lewis is much more walkable given that it is less rough but it is still
    quite boggy. It is crossed by some remote tracks and paths. Across the middle, however, north of
    Tarbert, is a beautiful string of small hills with The Clisham at its heart. It is accessible off
    the B887 to Huishnish. The combination of this area, the beaches and Callanish make the islands
    well worth the visit.

    Chris

  4. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    The hillwalking is of high quality, although a bit rough at times. Lewis has very rocky hills in the
    west and some easier smother ground in Pairc in the east, but this area is very remote by land. The
    north is blanket bog, but a day here on a bright day is well woth the slow going and effort -
    especially if you stop an dfish some of the lochs.

    Some of the Harris hills are quite easy - Clisham has good going and is an easy ascent from the
    road. Todun is also a good afternood jaunt. Best done in good weather, the views are unmissable.
    The hills to the west are a bit harder, but all very good. Beinn Dubh, above Luskentyre is a
    quite friendly lump. Another unmissable small hill is Ceapabhal, on a peninsula of its own in the
    far south.

    Not all hills.. the beaches are rather good. A short walk from Huisinis, accessable by a long
    single track road through Abhuinnsuidhe Castle will get you to Crabhadal, compleate with loch,
    snady beaches and rock scenery. The short path is quite exposed as it follows a ledge above the
    narrows to Scarp.

    Plenty more there...

    Richard Webb

  5. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I RJ Webb <[email protected]> writes

    >Not all hills.. the beaches are rather good. A short walk from Huisinis, accessable by a long
    >single track road through Abhuinnsuidhe Castle will get you to Crabhadal, compleate with loch,
    >snady beaches and rock scenery. The short path is quite exposed as it follows a ledge above the
    >narrows to Scarp.

    I can vouch for this trip/walk its brilliant and the views from the road end (sea shore) looking
    north or south are something to savour. i just wish i was back there with camera.
    --
    dave

  6. Gavin Shaw

    Gavin Shaw Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Derek " <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the Hebrides.
    > Any information will be usefull.

    I haven't done anything on Lewis yet but I will say that there's an interesting string of rugged
    looking hills east of Breanais.

    Harris has everything. Beach walking, island hopping, ridge walks, glen walks, moorland walks. I
    won't say any more, just visit the URL below and click on Harris.

    --
    Gavin http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/

  7. Julie Meikle

    Julie Meikle Guest

    "Gavin Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The message <[email protected]> from "Derek " <[email protected]>
    > contains these words:
    >
    > > Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the
    > > Hebrides. Any information will be usefull.
    >
    > I haven't done anything on Lewis yet but I will say that there's an interesting string of rugged
    > looking hills east of Breanais.
    >
    > Harris has everything. Beach walking, island hopping, ridge walks, glen walks, moorland walks. I
    > won't say any more, just visit the URL below and click on Harris.
    >
    > --
    > Gavin http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/

    Mealaisbhal near Breanais is indeed a nice hill....stunning views over to St Kilda on a clear day.
    Have stayed there a few times....really want to get back there soon!

  8. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    Get the new SMC Corbetts Guide. It has a selection of the main hills there described. Enough to keep
    you busy for a week.

    cheers, Rob

  9. Druidh

    Druidh Guest

    "Aushiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 17 Feb 2004 00:12:04 GMT, "Derek " <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the
    > >Hebrides. Any information will be usefull.

    Hi

    I asked much the same question a few years back when I first visited. I got some astounded looks
    from the locals - "what do you mean, where can you walk"? they'd ask, "anywhere" was their advice.

    In general, North Lewis is pretty undramatic, though there are some nice beaches and cliffs.

    Round in West Lewis at Uig you'll get some nice rugged hills and a view of St Kilda on a good day.
    Pairc in the East is similar, but you really want to head for Harris with its string of great
    beaches and the hills centred round, and West of Clisham.

    You'll find a few references to Clisham, and the Scottich Tourist Board in Stornoway do a series of
    leaflets with shorter walks if that's your bag. At the very least, they do provide some background
    and historical perspective.

    druidh

  10. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    [email protected] (Rob Milne) wrote:

    >Get the new SMC Corbetts Guide. It has a selection of the main hills there described. Enough to
    >keep you busy for a week.
    >
    >cheers, Rob

    Great book Rob - took someone with vision to put it together IMHO.

    :)

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  11. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >> > Has anyone got any reccomendations for walking on the islands of Harris and Lewis in the
    >> > Hebrides. Any information will be usefull.
    >>
    >> I haven't done anything on Lewis yet but I will say that there's an interesting string of rugged
    >> looking hills east of Breanais.
    >>
    >> Harris has everything. Beach walking, island hopping, ridge walks, glen walks, moorland walks. I
    >> won't say any more, just visit the URL below and click on Harris.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gavin http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/
    >>

    >Mealaisbhal near Breanais is indeed a nice hill....stunning views over to St Kilda on a clear day.
    >Have stayed there a few times....really want to get back there soon!

    Some Lewis photos: http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/24a/Suaineabhal.html
    http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/24a/Conostom.html
    http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/24a/Muirneag.html
    http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/24a/Coltraiseal.html

    Richard Webb

  12. Derek

    Derek Guest

    Thanks for all the replies, I'll try and post some pics when I return.

    Derek

  13. "Rob Milne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BTW, the new edition of the North-west Highlands district guidebook should be out in May or June.
    > Hopefully it will be well liked as well!

    I look forward to it. The traditional austere blue hardback format I hope?

    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..

  14. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Or did you like the old style?

    Yes.. butyou must keep it fresh.. A change will be welcome.

    Just dont turn them into bagging by numbers red line fests like that book that shall never darken my
    bookshelf!

    Looking forward to it

    Richard Webb

  15. "Rob Milne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > > BTW, the new edition of the North-west Highlands district guidebook should be out in May or
    > > > June. Hopefully it will be well liked as well!
    > >
    > > I look forward to it. The traditional austere blue hardback format I hope?
    > It will look very different! all colour for starters and a totally different cover design.

    I'm startled at the thought.

    > Or did you like the old style?

    Like is maybe a bit strong. You might say I'd grown comfortable with it. At the edge of my seat with
    anticipation anyway. Sad, I know.

    --

    Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..