Isle of Wight, so hilly!

John Halliwell

Guest
On Saturday I decided to take my MTB over on the ferry to the Isle of
Wight, but I wasn't ready for so many hills. Deviously short incredibly
steep ones to blatantly long drawn out ones with very few meaningful
descents in between.

Route was essentially Cowes, Yarmouth, The Needles, Freshwater Bay,
Calbourne, Newport and back to Cowes (approx. 40 miles on the computer).

I found it hard going on an MTB with knobbly tyres and failed fork
lockout, could have been worse though as I managed to break my only tyre
lever tonight whilst swapping the tyres for slicker ones (Continental
TravelCONTACT 26*1.75").

--
John

On 24 Apr, 00:07, John Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Saturday I decided to take my MTB over on the ferry to the Isle of
> Wight, but I wasn't ready for so many hills. Deviously short incredibly
> steep ones to blatantly long drawn out ones with very few meaningful
> descents in between.
>
> Route was essentially Cowes, Yarmouth, The Needles, Freshwater Bay,
> Calbourne, Newport and back to Cowes (approx. 40 miles on the computer).
>
> I found it hard going on an MTB with knobbly tyres and failed fork
> lockout, could have been worse though as I managed to break my only tyre
> lever tonight whilst swapping the tyres for slicker ones (Continental
> TravelCONTACT 26*1.75").
>
> --
> John

Practising for the 6th May then? http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

In news:[email protected],
squeaker <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On 24 Apr, 00:07, John Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Saturday I decided to take my MTB over on the ferry to the Isle of
>> Wight, but I wasn't ready for so many hills. Deviously short
>> incredibly steep ones to blatantly long drawn out ones with very few
>> meaningful descents in between.
>>
>> Route was essentially Cowes, Yarmouth, The Needles, Freshwater Bay,
>> Calbourne, Newport and back to Cowes (approx. 40 miles on the
>> computer).
>>
>> I found it hard going on an MTB with knobbly tyres and failed fork
>> lockout, could have been worse though as I managed to break my only
>> tyre lever tonight whilst swapping the tyres for slicker ones
>> (Continental TravelCONTACT 26*1.75").
>>
>> --
>> John

> Practising for the 6th May then? http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

Or even the 9th of September...

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=07-500

--
Dave Larrington
This Unit is a productive Unit.

John Halliwell wrote:
> On Saturday I decided to take my MTB over on the ferry to the Isle of
> Wight, but I wasn't ready for so many hills. Deviously short incredibly
> steep ones to blatantly long drawn out ones with very few meaningful
> descents in between.
>
> Route was essentially Cowes, Yarmouth, The Needles, Freshwater Bay,
> Calbourne, Newport and back to Cowes (approx. 40 miles on the computer).
>
> I found it hard going on an MTB with knobbly tyres and failed fork
> lockout, could have been worse though as I managed to break my only tyre
> lever tonight whilst swapping the tyres for slicker ones (Continental
> TravelCONTACT 26*1.75").

Try this:
http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

On 24 Apr, 00:07, John Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Saturday I decided to take my MTB over on the ferry to the Isle of
> Wight, but I wasn't ready for so many hills.

I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
taking a car across.

We only cycled maybe a dozen miles, but not bad going for the youngest
who's only 6 years old. It was a very pleasant mix of quiet roads and
tracks going East from Fishbourne, but yes there were several very
steep hills along the way. Tends to be a feature of coastlines with a
valley to go down and up each time a stream or river runs into the
sea, apart from Norfolk.

In news:[email protected],
POHB <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
> ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
> to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
> not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
> taking a car across.

Indeed. We had a race meeting in Ryde back in 1998. I stayed with friends
in Southampton the night before, got the ferry over to Cowes and rode the
rest of the way. Other competitors were having a good moan when I arrived:

Competitor number one: It cost us sixty-five quid to bring the van over!
Competitor number two: That's nothing! I got charged seventy-two for the
Espace!
Mr Larrington: Six quid return.

And Lo! They hitteth me :-(

--
Dave Larrington
There ought to be a /La/ against it.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> writes
>In news:[email protected],
>POHB <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>> I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
>> ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
>> to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
>> not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
>> taking a car across.

>Indeed. We had a race meeting in Ryde back in 1998. I stayed with friends
>in Southampton the night before, got the ferry over to Cowes and rode the
>rest of the way. Other competitors were having a good moan when I arrived:
>
>Competitor number one: It cost us sixty-five quid to bring the van over!
>Competitor number two: That's nothing! I got charged seventy-two for the
>Espace!
>Mr Larrington: Six quid return.
>
>And Lo! They hitteth me :-(

Yes, I found the ferry people very friendly and helpful too, although
it's twelve quid now!

--
John

POHB wrote on 25/04/2007 11:53 +0100:

> I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
> ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
> to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
> not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
> taking a car across.

You didn't try the Redjet then. They have dicky fits even with
Bromptons. If you think the fare is cheap have a read of
http://www.competition4iowferries.blogspot.com/

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On Apr 25, 12:13 pm, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Indeed. We had a race meeting in Ryde back in 1998. I stayed with friends
> in Southampton the night before, got the ferry over to Cowes and rode the
> rest of the way.

Wimp! Some of us did the round-the-island the day before that race!

In news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> On Apr 25, 12:13 pm, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Indeed. We had a race meeting in Ryde back in 1998. I stayed with
>> friends in Southampton the night before, got the ferry over to Cowes
>> and rode the rest of the way.

> Wimp! Some of us did the round-the-island the day before that race!

I spent the Saturday and half the Sunday fitting new T&G floorboards in the
kitchen of Larrington Towers, and the effect on my legs was not dissimilar
to the aftermath of a 200 with Scenery Points...

--
Dave Larrington
World Domination? Just find a world that's into that kind of

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:

>I spent the Saturday and half the Sunday fitting new T&G floorboards in the

Are those sort of backwards gin and tonics?

Roos

Roos Eisma wrote on 26/04/2007 09:31 +0100:
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I spent the Saturday and half the Sunday fitting new T&G floorboards in the

> Are those sort of backwards gin and tonics?

I don't think so but with the floorboards being member of a Trade Union
they can prove particularly awkward, hence Mr Larrington's problems.

--

Tony Raven wrote:

> POHB wrote on 25/04/2007 11:53 +0100:
> >
> > I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
> > ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
> > to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
> > not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
> > taking a car across.
> >

> You didn't try the Redjet then. They have dicky fits even with
> Bromptons.

i've never had a problem taking the Brommie.

> If you think the fare is cheap...

Now that _is_ a problem :-(

John B

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Roos Eisma wrote on 26/04/2007 09:31 +0100:
>> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> I spent the Saturday and half the Sunday fitting new T&G floorboards in
>>> the

>> Are those sort of backwards gin and tonics?
>>

> I don't think so but with the floorboards being member of a Trade Union
> they can prove particularly awkward, hence Mr Larrington's problems.

Demarcation!

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

John B wrote on 26/04/2007 19:31 +0100:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> POHB wrote on 25/04/2007 11:53 +0100:
>>> I went with the family and some in-laws a couple of weekends ago. The
>>> ferry folks were very friendly and helpful with the bikes, they got us
>>> to park them against the ramp at the front so we'd be first off and
>>> not get squashed by the cars and lorries. And sooo much cheaper than
>>> taking a car across.
>>>

>> You didn't try the Redjet then. They have dicky fits even with
>> Bromptons.

> i've never had a problem taking the Brommie.

I have in 50% of the trips I've taken and a work colleague who travels
daily has regular run-ins with them, the problem being the total
inconsistency that some days nobody says anything and others they try to
stop her boarding.

--

Tony Raven wrote:

> John B wrote on 26/04/2007 19:31 +0100:
> >
> > Tony Raven wrote:

> >> You didn't try the Redjet then. They have dicky fits even with
> >> Bromptons.

> > i've never had a problem taking the Brommie.
> >

> I have in 50% of the trips I've taken and a work colleague who travels
> daily has regular run-ins with them, the problem being the total
> inconsistency that some days nobody says anything and others they try to
> stop her boarding.

Not my experience, but then I only go over 4/5 times a year.
i've also taken the BF, without anything being said, although it was bagged
up.

If it happens so much to you and your colleague I'd suggest taking a bin bag
for some standard Brompton disguise.

Place it over the bike though, not your heads ;-)

John B

John B wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> John B wrote on 26/04/2007 19:31 +0100:

>>> i've never had a problem taking the Brommie.
>>>

>> I have in 50% of the trips I've taken and a work colleague who
>> travels daily has regular run-ins with them, the problem being the
>> total inconsistency that some days nobody says anything and others
>> they try to stop her boarding.

> Not my experience, but then I only go over 4/5 times a year.
> i've also taken the BF, without anything being said, although it was
> bagged up.
>
> If it happens so much to you and your colleague I'd suggest taking a
> bin bag for some standard Brompton disguise.
>
> Place it over the bike though, not your heads ;-)
>
> John B

You can take Cycles on all the ferries and the Cat, but you cannot take
cycles on the Red Jet.
So Johns suggestion of a bin bag for disguise is a good idea.

Jan

Gordon wrote on 26/04/2007 20:07 +0100:

> You can take Cycles on all the ferries and the Cat, but you cannot take
> cycles on the Red Jet.
> So Johns suggestion of a bin bag for disguise is a good idea.

BTDTGTTS and it only works some of the time.