Isn't Bike Gear getting too expensive?

OoAmericanGirl said:
Wmy old trek had a quill stem for crying out loud
The quill on my track bike works good, makes it easy to adjust the handlebar height.

Sometimes it crosses my mind to buy an entire bike, just to get the parts off it.

mikesbytes said:
The quill on my track bike works good, makes it easy to adjust the handlebar height.

Sometimes it crosses my mind to buy an entire bike, just to get the parts off it.
That's not such a bad idea, when you consider some of the cheap bikes on the market, with so-so frames but nice gear. Good value if your existing bike has a frame you want to keep - swap all the bits and you have rejuvenated your "best" bike plus you have an ok trainer/commuter.

CAMPYBOB said:
My first racing bicycle cost $105 in 1972. In 1974 a top-of-the-line, custom made-to-measure, full Campagnolo Schwinn Paramount P-13-0 road racing bicycle set me back $660.

Now we have: $200 jerseys...$200 shorts...$400 shoes...$90 shoe covers...$150 sun glasses...$175 helmets...

I showed my wife a picture of a $500 cycling jacket a few days ago and commented that my dress suits do not cost that much.

It's hard to get dressed to ride for what a bicycle used to cost.
True,true.... at $400 a bib it must make me ride like Floyd, Lance and Mercx, combined , and OD'd on EPO!!!!

Low end bikes are getting nicer, and now Walmart has ok road bikes for the not so serious road biker. But the price of low end Giant OCR composites went up this year.

But it really sucks that high end stuff is so expensive. Like having that dream bike of your's can be impossible if not through ebay.

I think Zipp 404's went up recently to $1850 to $1950 because there are other wheels not as good but more expensive then them, and they're just playing catch up with prices.

I hope SRAM suffers and relents by lowering the prices of their STI's. But I guess it wouldn't matter as I like Campy and Shimano better.

Sucks that a good new Civic has to cost $24,000. I have to settle for used or would rather get a new Prius. But all my vehicles have been used.

And renting an apartment in a big city is getting expensive too. 1 bedroom in Chicago about $700 vs $425 in Bowling Green, KY.

JTE83 said:
Low end bikes are getting nicer, and now Walmart has ok road bikes for the not so serious road biker. But the price of low end Giant OCR composites went up this year.

But it really sucks that high end stuff is so expensive. Like having that dream bike of your's can be impossible if not through ebay.

I think Zipp 404's went up recently to $1850 to $1950 because there are other wheels not as good but more expensive then them, and they're just playing catch up with prices.

Essentially all carbon fiber products have gone up in price. There is a shortage of CF in the world as a result of defense needs and civial aviation needs, specifically the new Airbus and the Boeing Dreamliner. When a product is in short supply, prices go up. Simple economics. For that matter, cycling is a very small portion of the CF industry. Very small. If prices go up, that's fine by me because I think it's more important that commercial aircraft become more fuel efficient. As for defense needs, if you want to lower their use of CF, then vote the people out that keep jacking up the military budget.

Dream bikes can still be had. Buy 'em like a lot of people do: one part at a time, over a longer period of time.

As far as Zipp wheels go, buy something else. Ritchey, American Classic, and Neuvation all have much cheaper deep rimmed wheels. And guess whose rim they use? In most cases it's a Zipp rim. You can also buy from overseas and get Planet X wheels, which are fine wheels. You can also buy Vuelta wheels, which are, again very serviceable wheels. Williams Wheels makes CF rims, as Does Cole, and others.

JTE83 said:
I hope SRAM suffers and relents by lowering the prices of their STI's. But I guess it wouldn't matter as I like Campy and Shimano better.

Nice.

JTE83 said:
Sucks that a good new Civic has to cost $24,000. I have to settle for used or would rather get a new Prius. But all my vehicles have been used.

And renting an apartment in a big city is getting expensive too. 1 bedroom in Chicago about $700 vs $425 in Bowling Green, KY.

And there are several million Americans, and many more millions of people elsewhere in the world, who can't afford to eat properly, who can't afford any housing, who can't afford any medical care......

I could care less how expensive cycling is. It's a hobby. It's not required for basic existence. Expensive cars? So what. There are buses, commuter trains, bikes, and car pools. Expensive cars are only something that Americans would complain about.

A little perspective is a good thing to have.

JTE83 said:

If things are so tight, then you should consider culling your bike collection. 6 bikes, or whatever, is a luxury.

Oh, I'm lucky to live in a 3 story house in Wicker Park Chicago (hot location) rent free utility free and I'll inherit this $850,000 house. That's why I had money to burn on 14 bikes. But I tell myself no more spending - I should save for retirement.

Besides, it sucks selling on ebay. Costs of listing, Paypal cut, then Final Value cut -- plus the low prices buyers will pay. Ebay is a total ripoff to sellers cuz they charge so much. So I'd rather keep my 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 than sell it because it won't even get $1000 off of ebay.

JTE83 said:

You claim to have $25k in bikes, and then whine because you do not have $24k for a Civic ($27k for a Prius)?

Did you ever think of selling $23k of your bikes and buying the car you wanted.

Then to be living lodging free and not saving for retirement. That $5k-8k per year set aside would allow you to retire quite well early.

JTE83 said:
Oh, I'm lucky to live in a 3 story house in Wicker Park Chicago (hot location) rent free utility free and I'll inherit this $850,000 house. That's why I had money to burn on 14 bikes. But I tell myself no more spending - I should save for retirement.

Besides, it sucks selling on ebay. Costs of listing, Paypal cut, then Final Value cut -- plus the low prices buyers will pay. Ebay is a total ripoff to sellers cuz they charge so much. So I'd rather keep my 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 than sell it because it won't even get $1000 off of ebay.

Well,you're wrong about eBay. Selling there nis much easier, and safer, than elsewhere.

As for the rest of the story, if you're not willing to sell luxuries like bikes to offset cost of living expenses, then quit whining.

And, wow: thanks for telling us the cost of the house. I'm sure someone is suitably impressed about the numbers you throw around. That is what you want, right?

Golly, tell us more about your inheritance and your priveleged life...
:rolleyes:

JTE83 said:

Isn't Chicago one of those cold places where you can't ride in winter? Don't see the point in 14 bikes. I have 3 (2 road, 1 track) and some would argue that thats too many. However, I understand your passion for bikes, us boys we have a weakness for toys.

You know that 90% of people who win a million dollars have nothing in 10 years time [Sorry alienator I can't verify this figure, so you can beat me up]. So be careful with your money.

Also, a 2002 model bike is 5 years old, $1000 sounds like a pretty good sale. Unliess I personally knew the owner, I'd put the $1000 towards the new version, rather than risk it on an unknown quality.

mikesbytes said:
Isn't Chicago one of those cold places where you can't ride in winter? Don't see the point in 14 bikes. I have 3 (2 road, 1 track) and some would argue that thats too many. However, I understand your passion for bikes, us boys we have a weakness for toys.

It's got nothing to do with passion. It's all about him saying, "Hey! Look at me!" Why else would he crow about the number of bikes he has and how awesome we must think they are, and then turn around and whine about how expensive cycling is? He even goes to the effort to show what a spoiled rich kid he is by going on about how he has such low living expenses but will someday inherit a "$850,000" home. It's no wonder he has a hard time finding a job as a Mech E.: the interviewers have to smell this sort of smarminess a mile away.

A bit of perspective with respect to real life and real responsibility, was well as a hefty dollop of humility would serve him well.

JTE83 said:

The sooner you realize the rent an utilities are not free you will be better off.

Have you talked to your parrents to find out how much they pay in taxes in their $850K house per year. How much utilities are per month? Have you given any thought to what the estate taxes will be when you inhearit their hard earned labor? How long before the relatives kick off so you can get their $850K house?

So you do not think eBay, who supplies the infrastructure for you to list, should earn any money? The people who provide the finantial backers of eBay should not get any return on their investment?

So you think Paypal, who takes the risk and provides the infrastructure for you to safely pay for products, should not earn any money?

You are so excited to tell us about all the great deals you have found on eBay. This could also be read, sellers get screwed because the low prices buyers will pay. However, you want to receive full retail for your used equipment.

As alienator said:
A bit of perspective with respect to real life and real responsibility, was well as a hefty dollop of humility would serve YOU well.

it's hard to bike in Chicago when it gets below 17 F and it's full of snow. The bike path sometimes gets crappy too. 2005 winter didn't bike Nov to mid Feb.

Why you gotta attack me for explaining my living expenses? I'm not a rich spoiled kid. I studied hard for a good degree from the top 6 college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering.

As for it's hard to get a job - I got messed up by an employer who was following me around (spying) on me after work. Got paranoid and I punched out a guy at McDonalds thinking he was spying on me. He turned out to be a senior citizen and they gave me a felony and 30 months probation for it (could have done 5 years prison at worst). Now I've lost more than 6 possible jobs because of the felony and during my 30 month probation no one wanted to hire me so I could have been homeless. But my "Paranoid" defense qualified me for Social Security Disability and I get free money (SSDI) every month. Plus free Medicare.

As for the inheritance, the house is in a Trust so I guess no inheritance tax. And mom currently pays $3K a year senior citizen property tax discount. Gas bill for the really cold Feb - $370, electricity $70.

Oh, I know what it means to rent and pay utilities. I go for temp out of state jobs that pay high and have per diem split. I currently have a recruiter out in Atlanta GA submit me for a $27/hr job there. Would love to do Alanta for 5 years, but I wonder how the bike riding is there. I sure would miss Chicago's Lake Shore DRive bike path (the best workout path).

JTE83 said:
Why you gotta attack me for explaining my living expenses? I'm not a rich spoiled kid. I studied hard for a good degree from the top 6 college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering.

As for it's hard to get a job - I got messed up by an employer who was following me around (spying) on me after work. Got paranoid and I punched out a guy at McDonalds thinking he was spying on me. He turned out to be a senior citizen and they gave me a felony and 30 months probation for it (could have done 5 years prison at worst). Now I've lost more than 6 possible jobs because of the felony and during my 30 month probation no one wanted to hire me so I could have been homeless. But my "Paranoid" defense qualified me for Social Security Disability and I get free money (SSDI) every month. Plus free Medicare.

As for the inheritance, the house is in a Trust so I guess no inheritance tax. And mom currently pays $3K a year senior citizen property tax discount. Gas bill for the really cold Feb - $370, electricity $70.

Oh, I know what it means to rent and pay utilities. I go for temp out of state jobs that pay high and have per diem split. I currently have a recruiter out in Atlanta GA submit me for a $27/hr job there. Would love to do Alanta for 5 years, but I wonder how the bike riding is there. I sure would miss Chicago's Lake Shore DRive bike path (the best workout path).

You qualify as a scumbag. You live for free, collect bikes and then whine about their cost, and then to top things off, you collect medicare, SSDI...what human trash you are.

If I could find out where you might work in the future, I'd gladly email them and let them know about your past. As for going to a "top 6" ME school....so what? Idiots can graduate from such schools, too.

You really are trash.

JTE83 said:
As for it's hard to get a job - I got messed up by an employer who was following me around (spying) on me after work. Got paranoid and I punched out a guy at McDonalds thinking he was spying on me. He turned out to be a senior citizen and they gave me a felony and 30 months probation for it (could have done 5 years prison at worst).
I sure hope you are not one of these guys carrying a gun while riding. :eek:

I would also like to know more about getting disability for being paranoid. I could be paranoid if it gets me free money. In fact, I think They are watching me right now.

alienator said:
You qualify as a scumbag. You live for free, collect bikes and then whine about their cost, and then to top things off, you collect medicare, SSDI...what human trash you are.

If I could find out where you might work in the future, I'd gladly email them and let them know about your past. As for going to a "top 6" ME school....so what? Idiots can graduate from such schools, too.

You really are trash.

Hey alienator - some people don't like you cuz of you critical replys here, and you truly deserve your "alienator" name. And I did lose another job because I went paranoid on the job. I sometimes suffer from schizophrenia and take Geodon daily to control it. So I qualified for SSDI because of it. But my relatives suggested SSDI to me, and I went along with it. I'm not gonna mooch off of it for the rest of my life - I'm trying to get a good permenent job that lasts, something I've never had. So high paying temp jobs and SSDI helps me get by.

No idiot get enter the Univ. of Urbana - Champaign engineering school. You have to have a high GPA, ACT, and class rank to get in there.

Just because I live for free in my parents house doesn't make me a scumbag. If I did Section 8 or public housing or food stamps I'd be a scumbag.

Maybe your just a bit jealous of how little lucky I am.

SSDI is my payback to the gov that gave me a felony. And to that unfair employer that spied on me. If they don't in the end expunge or seal my felony (makes it hard to get a job) then I'll glady mooch off SSDI for the rest of my life.

JTE83 said:
it's hard to bike in Chicago when it gets below 17 F and it's full of snow. The bike path sometimes gets crappy too. 2005 winter didn't bike Nov to mid Feb.
I understand. I purchased a trainer for wet days. I ride on the roads and try to avoid bike paths. Once the salt is off of the roads I am back on them. Otherwise I do training routines in my garage.

JTE83 said:
I am not attacking you for explaining you living expenses. If I were attacking you for anything, it would be for you constant bragging and references to money. Money is not the only thing out there. I do not think I have met anyone who makes enough money to the point they do not want more. I know I have met people that live on $2,000 per year.

Who cares where you got your ME degree? I was stuck interviewing 6 people from the same college (a top 6 college) one day. Every single one of the people had almost the same verbatum answer to all of the "standard" questions. I had one person from a "lesser" collage that had different answers and actually put thought into the. If I cared about the school I would have hired one of the six. Since I wanted someone who could think and work on their own, I hired the single.

JTE83 said:
You are lucky the "spy" was not your employer. Not only would you have been hit with the felony you would be tagged with hiting an employer.

It is going to be hard to get a job with a felony rap. Particularly in the engineering field and with a violent rap. Employers do not like having their employees with violent tempers. Where I work we would not even cosider you, nor would we allow any of the contracting companies bring you on board to do work for us.

Again it is not free money. SSDI and medicare are far from free. Many hard working taxpayers are paying for $25k in bikes you have. I know so many people in very needed jobs that earn less than $25k in a year.

JTE83 said:
You better take a look at this. Trusts just assist in the transfer of the property. All the taxing authorities are still going to take their fair share. They need to pay for programs like SSDI and Medicare for people to misuse them.

Do you anticipate getting that same tax discount your mom pays?

You really do need to figure out what just the fixed costs are for living expences. You are probably looking at around $10k per year just to keep that house. That is grossing $20k per year and does not include anything other than taxes and utilities. No food, bikes, clubs, etc.

JTE83 said:
My INTERNET advice to you with knowing nothing about you is (other than what I have seen in your posts). Take a job anywhere you can find one, this would include Walmart. As an employer I want to see a history of your violence and "parinoia" under control. Being unemployed is only showing me that you are still a high risk. The longer you go, the higher the risk you become.

Then start to work on getting back into the engineering field. You do not want to "loose" what you have learned.

Humbling yourself will go a long way.

JTE83 said:
<snip>

No idiot get enter the Univ. of Urbana - Champaign engineering school. You have to have a high GPA, ACT, and class rank to get in there.
This really means nothing. There are a lot of idiots with high GPAs, ACTs, and class ranks. It all depends on what your definition of idiot is. I worked my way through college working construction. Almost all of the people I worked with considered themselves idiots. They all graduated in the top 5% of their class, with higher than 3.75 out of 4.0 and were going to THE TOP School in the country for their degree. They were all idiots because they got caught up in drugs in school and all failed. Those summers were probably the best education I ever recieved. They all kept me straight with the threat of violence if I followed their footsteps.

JTE83 said:
Just because I live for free in my parents house doesn't make me a scumbag. If I did Section 8 or public housing or food stamps I'd be a scumbag.
There are people in the situation that you describe as scumbags that are there for, IMHO, much better reasons then you. Stay at home mothers who had their husbands desert them and leave them with nothing.

Not paying your mother a small abount of rent or help with food/utilities while collecting $25 in bikes would qualify you as a scumbag. Asking manufactures to cover you purchases off ebay that brake would qualify you as a scumbag.

JTE83 said:
I may be wrong but somehow I doubt alienator is jealous. I know I am not. I know when I ride MY bike that I bought with MY money I am happy with my life.

JTE83 said:
SSDI is my payback to the gov that gave me a felony. And to that unfair employer that spied on me. If they don't in the end expunge or seal my felony (makes it hard to get a job) then I'll glady mooch off SSDI for the rest of my life.
And this too qualifies you as a scumbag. Take some responcibility for your OWN actions. For the most part the gov. does not give felonies, people earn them. They do stupid things like punch senior citizens at McDonalds. It is your fault you have the fellony rap, no one elses.

If you were truely being spied on, are you sure it was not a background check? Many of my neighbors have been spied on. I know this because people in dark suits and sunglasses come by my house and ask me questions about them. It generally starts with the people showing me a badge and telling me they are doing a background check.

Write to your gov., congres, and the pres to try and get a pardon. It will be hard to get the fel. out of your background. Then you will need to explain why you have these holes in your work history.

YOU have screwed up. Your top six school could not prevent that. Accept it, learn from it, and move forward. You probably need to change your perspecive on life a bit.

All of this advice is only my $.02 which is probably meaningless to you.

I read this whole thread just to read Alienators comments because he cuts through the BS that everyone else doesn't have the balls to say. I'd ride with him anyday. The OP, on the other hand sounds like a complete tool.

JTE83 said:
Hey alienator - some people don't like you cuz of you critical replys here, and you truly deserve your "alienator" name.

So? Your opinion of me or anything else, as measured by your statements and admissions, means less than nothing.

JTE83 said:
And I did lose another job because I went paranoid on the job. I sometimes suffer from schizophrenia and take Geodon daily to control it. So I qualified for SSDI because of it. But my relatives suggested SSDI to me, and I went along with it. I'm not gonna mooch off of it for the rest of my life - I'm trying to get a good permenent job that lasts, something I've never had. So high paying temp jobs and SSDI helps me get by.

A permanent job? With your felony record for assaulting a completely innocent person? With your propensity for blaming others and refusing to accept responsibility for your own actions? Taking SSDI while having "''high paying temp jobs" does make you a scumbag and may actually constitute fraud in the eyes of the law. It wouldn't take any effort at all to track down your true identity and turn you in. Maybe you should be paranoid about that....or you could opt to actually demonstrate good character and live according to the laws the rest of us live by.

Help you get by. What a laugh. Remember, you fraud, you are the one, mooching benefits you don't deserve while establishing a "$23,000" bike collection that you shamelessly brag about.

JTE83 said:

What a doofus. Listen, fraud: if idiots can graduate from Stanford, MIT, CalTech, or where ever, they certainly can graduate from U. Urbana. You graduated from there didn't you.....and aren't you the one who pummled some innocent old guy and who leeches off others?

ACT? Oh, please. Read any of the many studies that show that standardized tests are a measure of nothing. GPA? Hey, anyone can get a high GPA by taking easy classes, so what does a high GPA prove? Uhm, nothing. You know Einstein did lousy in primary school.....maybe he wasn't cut of th egenius cloth they require in Urbana...:rolleyes:

JTE83 said:

And what have you paid in return for your free lodging? Yup....scumbag is appropriate, especially when the fraud whines about bike costs and all the while collects bikes....

JTE83 said:

Oh man: you are funny. Jealous of you? Of your felony record? Of your runaway paranoia? Of your lack of job? Of your inability to accept responsibility for your own actions? Of the way you're defrauding taxpayers? Oh, yeah....jealous....that must be it. You know it's not the paranoia: people really are laughing at you.

JTE83 said:

Hey, scummy: you earned the felony. What did the victim do to you? Uh, nothing. Felon, fraud, and leech on society....yeah, you're a real succcess.
:rolleyes: