ISO: Battered or breaded Sweet Potato Fries

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Thomas Shunick, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Have had them at several different restaurant, but they always say that they buy them from a
    supplier. Anyone have a recipe or idea where I can purchase them. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Thomas Shunick wrote:
    > Have had them at several different restaurant, but they always say that they buy them from a
    > supplier. Anyone have a recipe or idea where I can purchase them. Thanks.

    Never had them battered or breaded. Take 2-3 large sweet potatoes and use a mandoline or food
    processor to cut them into julienne sticks. Rinse them then pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry in
    400F vegetable oil until crispy. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.

    Jill

  3. Lj

    Lj Guest

    I don't know about battered or breaded ones but roasted sweet potato fries
    are a new favorite of mine. This isn't so much a recipe as a "suggestion":

    1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees w/ baking sheet inside.
    2) Cut the sweet potato in quarters lengthwise. Then cut each quarter in 2 or 3 pieces lengthwise,
    depending on size of potato.
    3) Mix them up in a bowl with some olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.
    4) Take the baking sheet out of the oven and brush some olive oil over the surface and then put the
    fries on the sheet. Make sure they're spread out and laying on one side.
    5) Bake for 15-20 minutes and then turn them to the other side and cook for another 15-20 minutes.

    They're great on their own but I personally like them with a chipotle ketchup or sauce.

    lj

    "Thomas Shunick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have had them at several different restaurant, but they always say that they buy them from a
    > supplier. Anyone have a recipe or idea where I can purchase them. Thanks.

  4. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

  5. Sportkite1

    Sportkite1 Guest

    >From: Thomas Shunick

    >Have had them at several different restaurant, but they always say that they buy them from a
    >supplier. Anyone have a recipe or idea where I can purchase them. Thanks.

    One of my favorite vegies served Tempura style in Japanese restaurants are sweet potatoes. This
    recipe may help.

    http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/japanese/00/rec0090.html

    Ellen

  6. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "lj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't know about battered or breaded ones but roasted sweet potato fries are a new favorite of
    > mine. This isn't so much a recipe as a
    "suggestion":

    > 1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees w/ baking sheet inside.
    > 2) Cut the sweet potato in quarters lengthwise. Then cut each quarter in
    2
    > or 3 pieces lengthwise, depending on size of potato.
    > 3) Mix them up in a bowl with some olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.
    > 4) Take the baking sheet out of the oven and brush some olive oil over the surface and then put
    > the fries on the sheet. Make sure they're spread out and laying on one side.
    > 5) Bake for 15-20 minutes and then turn them to the other side and cook
    for
    > another 15-20 minutes.
    >
    > They're great on their own but I personally like them with a chipotle ketchup or sauce.

    Great recommendation, I do this all the time. They are also great cut in cubes, a little olive oil
    and some herbs and roasted. I used to make regular potato fries this way but tried sweet potatoes a
    while back, now that's all I use!

  7. Barry Grau

    Barry Grau Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thomas Shunick wrote:
    > > Have had them at several different restaurant, but they always say that they buy them from a
    > > supplier. Anyone have a recipe or idea where I can purchase them. Thanks.
    >
    > Never had them battered or breaded. Take 2-3 large sweet potatoes and use a mandoline or food
    > processor to cut them into julienne sticks. Rinse them then pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry in
    > 400F vegetable oil until crispy. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.
    >
    > Jill

    Not fries, but find a recipe for tempura. Dip thin slices of sweet potato in the batter and
    deep fry them.

    -bwg

  8. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > Take 2-3 large sweet potatoes and use a mandoline or
    > food processor to cut them into julienne sticks. Rinse
    > them then pat dry with paper towels. Deep fry in 400F
    > vegetable oil until crispy. Sprinkle with salt and
    > pepper and serve hot.
    >
    > Jill

    Fry them exactly the way described above by Jill, then
    sprinkle with sugar and serve hot. Sweet, savoury and crispy
    - addictive stuff.

    Angela