Isocyanates and asthma

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jodi, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Jodi

    Jodi Guest

    I heard that the chemical based isocyanate products can cause acute
    asthma attacks, respritory failure and death, is this true? and there
    is no nationwide system for spray on facility inspections? how are they
    keeping employees safe? I work in the office and I can still be
    exposed!!!!

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    Relates to r.b.t in what manner?

    A one-shot post well off-topic; smells like a troll to me.

  3. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

  4. CEarly

    CEarly Guest

    "Jodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I heard that the chemical based isocyanate products can cause acute
    > asthma attacks, respritory failure and death, is this true? and there
    > is no nationwide system for spray on facility inspections? how are they
    > keeping employees safe? I work in the office and I can still be
    > exposed!!!!

    Don't panic, ma'am. I'm sure "they" only use all-natural, non-chemical
    isocyanate products gently squeezed from organically grown isocyanate
    shrubs, lovingly nurtured with nothing more than pure morning dew and
    caressed daily by fresh mountain breezes.

    Even so, you should be wearing a positive pressure respirator to ensure your
    safety; 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. One can't be too careful.

  5. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    Yes, isocynates can cause lung problems but these compounds are highly reactive and as such, have a very short half life in the environment. Most urethanes no longer use high vapor pressure isocynates and rely on pre-reacted isocynates which have much lower vaporization rates. Most urethanes are free of toluene diisocyanate, the leading cluprit in industrial induced asthma.

  6. Jodi

    Jodi Guest

    Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???

  7. Jodi

    Jodi Guest

    I searched on google Isocyanates and this chat room came up, just
    thought you may know something.

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 08:57:08 -0800, "Jodi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    >case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    >to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???

    No.

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  9. Quoting Jodi <[email protected]>:
    >I searched on google Isocyanates and this chat room came up, just
    >thought you may know something.

    Are you also junking up every other newsgroup (not "chat room") where
    anyone has mentioned isocyanates ever?

    The word "bicycles" might serve as a bit of a hint.
    Today is First Oneiros, April.

  10. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Jodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I

    read a
    > case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a

    reason
    > to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???

    Exposure to isocyanates in the work place is governed by OSHA.
    http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/isocyanates/standards.html The case you
    are talking about probably involved a painter using an epoxy
    paint with isocyanates. Many of those paints are gone or
    reformulated, like IMRON. Or these paints are being applied with
    HVLP which puts less paint in the air -- and they are using moon
    suits. Moreover, there are no free isocyanates once the paint
    dries. It is a non-issue. -- Jay Beattie.

  11. Bad Idea

    Bad Idea Guest

    Jodi wrote:
    > ... I read a case where a man dropped
    > dead from this chemical...

    I once read that the moon is made of green cheese, but...

  12. Jodi

    Jodi Guest

    Yeah, I noticed that "bicycles" is the topic of the website but if you
    take the time to do a google search on isocyanates this "newsgroup"
    comes up. Why all the anger???

    David Damerell wrote:
    > Quoting Jodi <[email protected]>:
    > >I searched on google Isocyanates and this chat room came up, just
    > >thought you may know something.

    > Are you also junking up every other newsgroup (not "chat room") where
    > anyone has mentioned isocyanates ever?
    >
    > The word "bicycles" might serve as a bit of a hint.
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> Distortion Field!
    > Today is First Oneiros, April.

  13. Jim Smith

    Jim Smith Guest

    "Jodi" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Yeah, I noticed that "bicycles" is the topic of the website but if you
    > take the time to do a google search on isocyanates this "newsgroup"
    > comes up. Why all the anger???

    Heh. "topic of this website" oh my.

    Put on your respirator and back away from the computer.

  14. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    Isocyanates are found in polyurethane paints, not epoxies. They haven't been removed, only larger chain isocyanates have replaced the famous toluene diisocyanate. TDI has an appreciable vapor pressure, leading to the problems. Single component polyurethanes like poly spar varnish and foaming urethane glues are immune from the isocyanate vapor problems.

  15. Ed

    Ed Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jodi says...

    >Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    >case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    >to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???

    I know of several people who have dropped dead within hours of drinking water.
    You don't often read about this but it is true.

  16. On 29 Mar 2005 14:02:01 -0800 in rec.bicycles.tech, "Jodi"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yeah, I noticed that "bicycles" is the topic of the website but if you
    > take the time to do a google search on isocyanates this "newsgroup"
    > comes up. Why all the anger???

    it's not a web site. it's a news group devoted to bicycles.
    chemicals are off topic *except* when discussed in the context of
    cycling technology. now just go away and take your oxygen bottle
    with you.

  17. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Weisse Luft wrote:
    > Isocyanates are found in polyurethane paints, not epoxies. They
    > haven't been removed, only larger chain isocyanates have replaced the
    > famous toluene diisocyanate. TDI has an appreciable vapor pressure,
    > leading to the problems. Single component polyurethanes like poly
    > spar varnish and foaming urethane glues are immune from the
    > isocyanate vapor problems.

    How many /possible/ bike-related references in the above paragraph?

    (Hint: quite a few, with stretches.)

    Bill "and there's ANOTHER one" S.

  18. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 17:45:58 -0800, Ed <[email protected]> may have
    said:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Jodi says...
    >>
    >>Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    >>case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    >>to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???
    >>

    >I know of several people who have dropped dead within hours of drinking water.
    >You don't often read about this but it is true.

    www.dhmo.org

  19. Werehatrack

    said:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Jodi says...
    >>
    >>Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    >>case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    >>to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???
    >>

    >I know of several people who have dropped dead within hours of drinking water.
    >You don't often read about this but it is true.

    www.dhmo.org

  20. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 17:45:58 -0800, Ed <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Jodi says...
    >>
    >>Thanks for the humorous advice. I am a bit paniced because I read a
    >>case where a man dropped dead from this chemical, is this not a reason
    >>to panic if I am being exposed to the same chemical???
    >>

    >I know of several people who have dropped dead within hours of drinking water.
    >You don't often read about this but it is true.

    The media have been covering up for the Dihydrogen Monoxide producers and don't
    report these stories.

    http://www.circus.com/~nodhmo/

    Do what you can to prevent further DHMO related damage to our environment.

    Ron