"Israel must be wiped out" What gives?

Carrera said:
I believe in God myself but not as some kind of personality that sits on a throne. But nature is smart and regulated in such a way, there seems to me to be a definite order and process involved in our evolution.
This is why I admire the Greeks so much as the Greeks spent a lot of time applying philosophy to these matters and trying to explain the nature of God.
The reason people depend on religion is they try to find some specific definition of how they see God or try to somehow claim God is on their side, not the other person's.
I guess, like the Greeks, I see God as an intelligent force whose rules govern nature as a whole and the processes we all depend on. I don't see God in terms of good and bad or black and grey.
I can understand those people who try to search for the one true religion be it Madonna with her Kabbalah or Tom Cruise with his Scientology.
I've told you before, you're only interested in the Greeks because homosexual activity was compulsory.

I've fiddled with the darn thing till I'm blue in the face. My troubles really started when the whole mechanism slipped and I had to try and remount it at the right height and angle. If you don't get it spot on, you get this terrible grating noise on certain gears.
Front derailleurs are bloody murder to set up. The best I can get it at present is with grating on about 3 or 4 gears and the rest running smooth. Hopefully my chain won't jump as much now I've fixed the screws as well.

darkboong said:
If you have a clamp mounted derailleur it may well be mounted at the wrong height and/or angle. I found that ignoring the instructions for my Racing-T derailleur, and simply using my eyes and noggin worked wonders (once I had the limit screws set right). Working out which screw is which is usually a piece of **** too if you can see where the business ends of them are.

Many coaches frown on big gear riders as they reckon grinding big gears isn't as good for fitness. It's a fair point, I suppose. But I do know Jan Ullrich and Miguel Indurain were fond of pushing a pretty big gear ratio even on the climbs.
I try to do a bit of both. There are climbs I know of in the remote countryside that are damned hard and I do these on the smaller ring. Sometimes I use my smallest gear unless I'm on my triple on a dry day.
I also play mind games when I climb, like fix my sights on a remote post and tell myself I only have 5 minutes more sheer hell ahead once I draw level with it. I've seen club riders dismount their bikes on that climb and sit on the road knackered.

FredC said:
You're quite right Don. Riding cog on a low gear in the winter is just the ticket, but he just slams it in big nick, and smashes his bollocks to pulp on the top tube. At least I get a laugh out of it. He's clueless and beyond redemption. Dave Le Grys, Guy Elliot, and myself try and guide the kids and young seniors on VR.

But, Don, why not simply keep my present bike always on the big ring all the time if we're gonna use a fixed system? So long as I don't change down the chain won't slip, no?

Don Shipp said:
Fred, you're a coach, why don't you tell Careera something useful about his training. Would a fixed be a good idea for winter riding?

Because he's been rumbled by the other posters, that's why :p
I never thought I'd see Flintstone get his come-uppance but the verbal hammerings he's received this week alone have brought water to my eyes.
The reason he ain't coaching is he's probably licking his wounds after having lost so much ground. ;) :p :) :D

Don Shipp said:
Fred, you're a coach, why don't you tell Careera something useful about his training. Would a fixed be a good idea for winter riding?

I am quite pleased with my bike now; it has all been adjusted and so forth and does the job and I don't fall at all anymore...a big difference..from the 7300FX and the other bike I had which had so much springs in it.....than whatever I traded in.....but Im gonna have to start a thread about riding the bike in the rain and all that...we are supposed to have rain for the next 3 or so days...

Carrera said:
But, Don, why not simply keep my present bike always on the big ring all the time if we're gonna use a fixed system? So long as I don't change down the chain won't slip, no?
There is a difference between riding a fixed and never changing down. One is the lack of freewheel, but others include reduced Q factor and optimum alignment. If you want to try riding one gear through the winter which will probably improve your style and fitness then use the middle ring, not the top. I think a development of 65 to 70 inches will do for rolling terrain.
I'm not going to think about it now, I'm going to bed. Cioa4now.

Carrera said:
Because he's been rumbled by the other posters, that's why :p
I never thought I'd see Flintstone get his come-uppance but the verbal hammerings he's received this week alone have brought water to my eyes.
The reason he ain't coaching is he's probably licking his wounds after having lost so much ground. ;) :p :) :D
Which thread?

I believe that there is some sort of collective consciousness that strings us together somehow, in a Jungian way. Some of the connections are busted for sure, but nevertheless, they are there.

I have to think that things happen for a reason or I'd not be able to make my way through life; as though I was floating in an ocean with no keel, rudder or sails. There has to be something bigger than what I am, and that is the immortal paradox. It will always be there and we will always be puzzled by it.

Bed! You've got to be kidding. I won't be going to bed till 3.00 a.m. I've busted my ass today training and then working on the boat. So, I'll watch some TV and put my feet up.

Don Shipp said:
There is a difference between riding a fixed and never changing down. One is the lack of freewheel, but others include reduced Q factor and optimum alignment. If you want to try riding one gear through the winter which will probably improve your style and fitness then use the middle ring, not the top. I think a development of 65 to 70 inches will do for rolling terrain.
I'm not going to think about it now, I'm going to bed. Cioa4now.

Carrera said:
Bed! You've got to be kidding. I won't be going to bed till 3.00 a.m. I've busted my ass today training and then working on the boat. So, I'll watch some TV and put my feet up.
It is 7:10 here; just got dinner done and cleaned up. Going to watch the Eagles, Owensless, lose and have to come up with a new excuse for losing. They won't have T.O. to kick around anymore....I think the game starts at 9:00, better check it out, soon.....Dallas and Philadelphia, a grude match at its finest in any case.

Maybe you could try some Greek philosophy? It's a lot deeper than people realise. In fact, what most people aren't aware of is the fact the Greeks analysed certain phenomena without the use of visual science which we rely on totally today. They knew about atoms but had no microscopes to match modern ones.
It gets really mind boggling when you get into Greek ideas on assumed reality and how reality may differ in fact from the reality you perceive.
Also, the gnostic doctrines are fascinating. Madonna and Guy Richie are basically into gnostic Judaism (Kabbalah) which is a very ancient variant of the usual Jewish faith. There is also gnostic ideas on Christianity.
"Gnosis and gnosticism are still rather arcane terms, though in the last two decades the words have been increasingly encountered in the vocabulary of contemporary society. Gnosis derives from Greek, and connotes "knowledge" or the "act of knowing". (On first hearing, it is sometimes confused with another more common term of the same root but opposite sense: agnostic, literally "not knowing", a knower of nothing.) The Greek language differentiates between rational, propositional knowledge, and the distinct form of knowing obtained not by reason, but by personal experience or perception."

ptlwp said:
I believe that there is some sort of collective consciousness that strings us together somehow, in a Jungian way. Some of the connections are busted for sure, but nevertheless, they are there.

I have to think that things happen for a reason or I'd not be able to make my way through life; as though I was floating in an ocean with no keel, rudder or sails. There has to be something bigger than what I am, and that is the immortal paradox. It will always be there and we will always be puzzled by it.

I'm a sucker for the cheerleaders that tend to frequent such matches. I think if we had them cheering cyclists over here, I'd fall off my bike. ;)

ptlwp said:
It is 7:10 here; just got dinner done and cleaned up. Going to watch the Eagles, Owensless, lose and have to come up with a new excuse for losing. They won't have T.O. to kick around anymore....I think the game starts at 9:00, better check it out, soon.....Dallas and Philadelphia, a grude match at its finest in any case.

ptlwp said:
May The Force be with you.

Carrera said:
Hmmmm, maybe you have a point. Mind you, I don't get this problem on my other bike which is newer and less used. As it is, I always try to change as I watch the chain so I can brake if I have to - to avoid coming off.
Probably I have the angle or tension of the dearilleur slightly off but I can always try what you advise or maybe shift on specific gears where it's less likely the chain will spring off.
But, sure, it annoys me a lot. What's more, having learned the basics of bike mechanics I now have to graduate to canal boats.
Have you ever thought of buying a boat? I hear there is a canal mooring near the Thames where you live and these canals link the entire country. You know, I'm finding there's a lot of money in this canal scene at present. You can buy a **** boats, do them up and sell with a few thousand pounds profit. With the proceeds you could buy a Trek Madonne.
If you can make money out of restoring old boats I would love to know how!
I'm a shipwright by trade.Every boat I've owned has cost me one way or another,although less than an amateur.The current boat has cost around 10 000 quid over the past 5 years,for timber,engine parts,slipping mooring etc.
What sort of hull and engine do you have?
:)

Dondare said:
May The Force be with you.

In this forum there is an unseen dynamics that holds us together. It is called "THE FARCE".
"May the Farce be with you".

As to Carrera cheerleader comment, cheerleaders are not all that American sports are about, remember there are Pom Pom girls also.

jhuskey said:
In this forum there is an unseen dynamics that holds us together. It is called "THE FARCE".
"May the Farce be with you".
And with thy sprocket.

It's got an inboard diesel engine. The one I sold had an outboard petrol engine but the burden of trying to cope with 2 boats at the same time seemed too stressful. So, now I only have the diesel.
What worried me initially was the flooded bilge. I bought a manual pump that did the trick without so much expense and now I have got the bilge dry.
If I sold the boat as it is (after cleaning) I could make perhaps 2000 dollars profit easily.
I'm sure you could make a lot of money as canal boats in this area has caught on as a hobby. The trick is to come across a pretty neglected boat on the cheap and then do it up. Fortunately in my case the mooring is cheap and most of the MOT stuff has been paid up.
But I do intend to haul it out of the water to check the hull and even change the wooden beams along the side.
I may have to spend 2000 or 3000 pounds to really get the boat looking good but I guess it will be worth it.

stevebaby said:
I'm a shipwright by trade.Every boat I've owned has cost me one way or another,although less than an amateur.The current boat has cost around 10 000 quid over the past 5 years,for timber,engine parts,slipping mooring etc.

stevebaby said:
I wouldn't take any notice of Captain Hogwash, He can't even sort his front mech. out.

Carrera said:
It's got an inboard diesel engine. The one I sold had an outboard petrol engine but the burden of trying to cope with 2 boats at the same time seemed too stressful. So, now I only have the diesel.
What worried me initially was the flooded bilge. I bought a manual pump that did the trick without so much expense and now I have got the bilge dry.
If I sold the boat as it is (after cleaning) I could make perhaps 2000 dollars profit easily.
I'm sure you could make a lot of money as canal boats in this area has caught on as a hobby. The trick is to come across a pretty neglected boat on the cheap and then do it up. Fortunately in my case the mooring is cheap and most of the MOT stuff has been paid up.
But I do intend to haul it out of the water to check the hull and even change the wooden beams along the side.
I may have to spend 2000 or 3000 pounds to really get the boat looking good but I guess it will be worth it.
Canal boats have been popular for over 25 years now. You're gonna change the wooden buffer beams along the hull? and its fibreglass. Some bloody comedian you are. Just use old tyres off a mini. How much do you want for this thing right now?