Israeli: Iran bought missiles from N.Korea

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005

4/27/2006, 6:50 a.m. ET The Associated Press
JERUSALEM (AP) — Iran has recently purchased missiles from North Korea that put European countries within firing range, Israel's military intelligence chief said, according to an Israeli newspaper report Thursday.

The BM-25 surface-to-surface missiles, which have a range of 1,550 miles, are capable of carrying nuclear warheads, and part of the shipment has already reached Iran, the Haaretz daily reported Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin as saying.
========================================================

The United States, Israel and other Western countries say Iran is trying to get nuclear arms, but Iran claims it wants nuclear for civilian purposes. A range of 1,550 miles puts Europe how far out of the range?
Tomorrow is the day the UN has given Iran to end it's enriching program or it promises it will take measures. What measures are to be taken ???
What is to be done.....?????

My view all along has been Iraq was never a serious threat under S H but Iran is definitely unstable and extreme and can't be taken lightly. In fact, Hussein was always aware Iran was a threat.
Even the Russians now have serious doubts over Iran.
I think Bush does bear much responsibility for the current situation since he exploited the Iraq situation and has now weakened the credibility of the U.S. as a whole at a time when the world really does need strong leadership.
I do believe, though, that Israel will do something serious about the current situation whether the U.S. or Europe are divided or whatever. The fact remains Iran has stated publically it wishes to see Israel wiped off the map and I can't see Israel hanging around much longer on a wait and see basis in the hope the Iranians were just kidding.
If Europe doesn't wake up pretty quick it may one day genuinely regret its current pacifism.

wolfix said:

JERUSALEM (AP) — Iran has recently purchased missiles from North Korea that put European countries within firing range, Israel's military intelligence chief said, according to an Israeli newspaper report Thursday.

The BM-25 surface-to-surface missiles, which have a range of 1,550 miles, are capable of carrying nuclear warheads, and part of the shipment has already reached Iran, the Haaretz daily reported Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin as saying.

The United States, Israel and other Western countries say Iran is trying to get nuclear arms, but Iran claims it wants nuclear for civilian purposes. A range of 1,550 miles puts Europe how far out of the range?
Tomorrow is the day the UN has given Iran to end it's enriching program or it promises it will take measures. What measures are to be taken ???

"On Tuesday, an Israeli satellite meant to spy on Iran's nuclear program was launched by Russia. The satellite is designed to spot images on the ground as small as 27 1/2 inches, an Israeli defense official said."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1107AP_Israel_Iranian_Missile.html?source=mypi

wolfix said:

Carrera said:
My view all along has been Iraq was never a serious threat under S H but Iran is definitely unstable and extreme and can't be taken lightly. In fact, Hussein was always aware Iran was a threat.
Even the Russians now have serious doubts over Iran.
I think Bush does bear much responsibility for the current situation since he exploited the Iraq situation and has now weakened the credibility of the U.S. as a whole at a time when the world really does need strong leadership.
I do believe, though, that Israel will do something serious about the current situation whether the U.S. or Europe are divided or whatever. The fact remains Iran has stated publically it wishes to see Israel wiped off the map and I can't see Israel hanging around much longer on a wait and see basis in the hope the Iranians were just kidding.
If Europe doesn't wake up pretty quick it may one day genuinely regret its current pacifism.

You're trying to scaremonger again.

Yeah sure. Just like Iraq had WMDs. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even IF Iran had missiles, without warheads they're just expensive paperweights. And nuclear? Not according to the IAEA.

wolfux should join the military and go see what the fun is really all about.

There has always been the same line of thought that, sure, don't worry, it won't happen.
I recall when one person warned on a BBC Newsnight show we could have a terrorist attack in London, the woman was jeered by the audience and cries of "rubbish!" shouted out. I recall it very well.
The attack took place some months later.
There were people who warned the U.S. of 9/11, Russia being principal. The U.S. ignored those warnings.
In the case of Iran, Wurm, all I can say is you'd better be right and I had better be wrong. I mean, I hope I'm wrong. Let's all hope it is as you say that Iran won't get those WMD's and won't use them on Europe, Israel or the U.S.
Myself, I wouldn't trust the Iranian Regime as far as I could throw them. :confused:

Wurm said:
Yeah sure. Just like Iraq had WMDs. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even IF Iran had missiles, without warheads they're just expensive paperweights. And nuclear? Not according to the IAEA.

wolfux should join the military and go see what the fun is really all about.

Carrera said:
There has always been the same line of thought that, sure, don't worry, it won't happen.
I recall when one person warned on a BBC Newsnight show we could have a terrorist attack in London, the woman was jeered by the audience and cries of "rubbish!" shouted out. I recall it very well.
The attack took place some months later.
There were people who warned the U.S. of 9/11, Russia being principal. The U.S. ignored those warnings.
In the case of Iran, Wurm, all I can say is you'd better be right and I had better be wrong. I mean, I hope I'm wrong. Let's all hope it is as you say that Iran won't get those WMD's and won't use them on Europe, Israel or the U.S.
Myself, I wouldn't trust the Iranian Regime as far as I could throw them. :confused:

Can we just review this issue.

Nowhere have the issues raised in that AP article being corrobarated.
Where is the proof that Iran bought equipment from NK?
All we have is a newspaper article.

Which bring me back to Iraq - we had doctored evidence presented to the UN by no less a person as that lackey Colin Powell.
Powell presented a tissue of lies to the UN on Feb 5th 2003 about Iraqi WMD.
So proof - verifiable uncontestable proof is required before any action is taken.

In respect of warnings - warnings are given all the time about all sorts of issues.

The Clinton administration warned the Bush administration about Al Qaeda.
Therefore it's the response to warnings that is the salient issue.
Issues can be dealt with without recourse to "pre-emptive" actions.
Pre-emptive action have caused the current mess in the Middle East.

wolfix said:

Leaving aside the fact that the original sources are known to have been grinding an axe against Iran for over 50 years, so what ? The UK has Trident missiles (supplied & effectively controlled by the US). We can count on the US letting us defend ourselves, right ? ;)

wolfix said:

The folks with the credentials point out that it'll take Iran about 10 years to assemble enough material for just one *small* warhead. Quite frankly that doesn't constitute much of a threat in comparison to the two most aggressive military forces in the region (namely the US and Israel).

Iran's current regime (like it or lump it) has not started a single war, although it did fight off Saddam. By contrast Israel's regime has never stopped fighting, likewise the US. There is no evidence or historical precedent that Iran would use such a weapon "pre-emptively" as the US and Israelis like to call it. On the other hand both the US and Israel, both of whom have repeatedly stated that they want to destroy Iran, have previous form (ie: Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Iraq) and have massive conventional and nuclear arsenals. As far as I can tell Israel and the US don't want Iran to have nukes because it would make attacking Iran more risky.

I suggest that you quit being naive and watch what the various players are doing rather than listen to what they are saying.

very good. I am with you.
If the Israelis are worried, let them take care of it, as they have done before.Naturally it is easier for them if US takes care of it. They can pretend they have nothing to do with it. And what is more,they would then not even have to spill a drop of their peoples blood. A genius is not needed to see who is controlling the news, including this last release from AP on the Korean missile thing. From reporters and editors, to television, radio, magazines, and electronic. Who was Sadaam a real threat to? Who sent rewards to families of martyred palestinian suicide bombers? who sent scud missiles in the direction of Israel?
darkboong said:
Leaving aside the fact that the original sources are known to have been grinding an axe against Iran for over 50 years, so what ? The UK has Trident missiles (supplied & effectively controlled by the US). We can count on the US letting us defend ourselves, right ? ;)

The folks with the credentials point out that it'll take Iran about 10 years to assemble enough material for just one *small* warhead. Quite frankly that doesn't constitute much of a threat in comparison to the two most aggressive military forces in the region (namely the US and Israel).

Iran's current regime (like it or lump it) has not started a single war, although it did fight off Saddam. By contrast Israel's regime has never stopped fighting, likewise the US. There is no evidence or historical precedent that Iran would use such a weapon "pre-emptively" as the US and Israelis like to call it. On the other hand both the US and Israel, both of whom have repeatedly stated that they want to destroy Iran, have previous form (ie: Lebanon, Afghanistan, and Iraq) and have massive conventional and nuclear arsenals. As far as I can tell Israel and the US don't want Iran to have nukes because it would make attacking Iran more risky.

I suggest that you quit being naive and watch what the various players are doing rather than listen to what they are saying.

ilpirata said:
Who was Sadaam a real threat to? Who sent rewards to families of martyred palestinian suicide bombers? who sent scud missiles in the direction of Israel?

No one. His Scuds are long since destroyed, and they did less total damage than the IDF managed in a day in Jenin. The Palestinian suicide bombers blew themselves up regardless of what Saddam did before or after. That will be come clear to Israel and it's fanboys when they face up to reality instead of denying all responsibility for their actions.

Also I do question the sources of that particular item (all the sources I have seen have been caught peddling outright lies about to Saddam and his regime).

From the reports I can find : An Iraqi Scud hit a crowded residential area in Tel Aviv, killed 3 and wounded 70 (according to the IDF two died from shock, and the other estimated 39 Scuds did little damage, in 2003 they declared that they felt the risk posed by Scuds was minimal to zero). By contrast the IDF entered Jenin and "Massacred" in excess of 50 men, women and children in a couple of days. That isn't a one off either, they keep doing it day in, day out.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you over Iraq. I never considered Iraq under S H to be a major threat. We also need to bear in mind Iraq fought a bloody war against Iran and spilled Iraqi blood, specifically as a western ally. Saddam was armed by France and Russia and supported also by the U.S. as a buffer against radical Islam.
S H was indeed a repressive leader but let's bear in mind that women in Iraq.
could go to university and walk the streets without the veils we see in Iran.
On this we agree. We may also agree that the U.S. is now in a bind. Without the support of Europe, Russia and China, the U.S. may not be able to prevent Iran going nuclear.
Essentially what I don't get is why Bush had it in for Saddam and why he allowed Iran to become strong by weakening Iraq. The thing is I never had a problem with Iraq but I do have a problem with Iran. O.K., the younger Iranians probably want to see democratic reforms in Iran but it's the mullahs you can't trust. My guess is they could be closer to getting a bomb than we already suspect and that could have serious implications.

limerickman said:
Can we just review this issue.

Nowhere have the issues raised in that AP article being corrobarated.
Where is the proof that Iran bought equipment from NK?
All we have is a newspaper article.

Which bring me back to Iraq - we had doctored evidence presented to the UN by no less a person as that lackey Colin Powell.
Powell presented a tissue of lies to the UN on Feb 5th 2003 about Iraqi WMD.
So proof - verifiable uncontestable proof is required before any action is taken.

In respect of warnings - warnings are given all the time about all sorts of issues.

The Clinton administration warned the Bush administration about Al Qaeda.
Therefore it's the response to warnings that is the salient issue.
Issues can be dealt with without recourse to "pre-emptive" actions.
Pre-emptive action have caused the current mess in the Middle East.

Myself, I don't see the Israelis as being so war-hardened as is made out. Just look at the difference between how Russia handled Chechnya and how Israel has addressed Palestinian terrorism.
What I do know for a fact is that when Russian troops stormed the Nordost theatre in Moscow, they literally shot all suicide bombers in the head and systematically wiped out anyone moving who wasn't a hostage.
When the Chechnyans asked Moscow for the bodies of all the suicide bombers to be handed over for a martyrs burial, this was denied. Instead the Russians buried the dead suicide bombers in pork-skins, knowing that Islamic militants truly believed this would rob them of their rewards in paradise.
Seriously could you imagine Israelis dishonouring the bodies of Palestinian suicide bombers and using more extreme tactics?
I should also add that in London, a Brazilian men had several rounds shot to his head in the metro even when he offered no resistance. That was only after one suicide bombing! So, what tactics would be used if suicide bombings took place on a daily basis as they do in Israel?

darkboong said:
No one. His Scuds are long since destroyed, and they did less total damage than the IDF managed in a day in Jenin. The Palestinian suicide bombers blew themselves up regardless of what Saddam did before or after. That will be come clear to Israel and it's fanboys when they face up to reality instead of denying all responsibility for their actions.

Also I do question the sources of that particular item (all the sources I have seen have been caught peddling outright lies about to Saddam and his regime).

From the reports I can find : An Iraqi Scud hit a crowded residential area in Tel Aviv, killed 3 and wounded 70 (according to the IDF two died from shock, and the other estimated 39 Scuds did little damage, in 2003 they declared that they felt the risk posed by Scuds was minimal to zero). By contrast the IDF entered Jenin and "Massacred" in excess of 50 men, women and children in a couple of days. That isn't a one off either, they keep doing it day in, day out.

Carrera said:
I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you over Iraq. I never considered Iraq under S H to be a major threat. We also need to bear in mind Iraq fought a bloody war against Iran and spilled Iraqi blood, specifically as a western ally. Saddam was armed by France and Russia and supported also by the U.S. as a buffer against radical Islam.
S H was indeed a repressive leader but let's bear in mind that women in Iraq.
could go to university and walk the streets without the veils we see in Iran.
On this we agree. We may also agree that the U.S. is now in a bind. Without the support of Europe, Russia and China, the U.S. may not be able to prevent Iran going nuclear.
Essentially what I don't get is why Bush had it in for Saddam and why he allowed Iran to become strong by weakening Iraq. The thing is I never had a problem with Iraq but I do have a problem with Iran. O.K., the younger Iranians probably want to see democratic reforms in Iran but it's the mullahs you can't trust. My guess is they could be closer to getting a bomb than we already suspect and that could have serious implications.

Let's look at this from an Iranian viewpoint.

Iran says it's enriching uranium for peaceful purposes.
That is what Iran has said and Iran has also said that they wish to negotiate with the IAEA.

Look at the current situation : iran has the USA on it's doorstep in Iraq.
On it's east, it's got a nuclear power in Pakistan.
It's has also got the USA in Afghanistan.

To it's south it has Israel which has numerous nuclear warheads provided by the USA.

Iran justifiably feels threatened at present.
On it's borders it has a foreign power (USA) wherever she (Iran) looks.

The Iranian President, i believe, is uttering rhetoric when he makes pronouncements. He and his country feel threatened now.

Without picking sides in this current issue, I will simply say that I really don't trust Israel's military intelligence chief.

Randomus said:
Without picking sides in this current issue, I will simply say that I really don't trust Israel's military intelligence chief.

Only the Mossad knows for sure what the hell is going on; and they are not saying one word.

limerickman said:

That is what Iran has said and Iran has also said that they wish to negotiate with the IAEA.

To it's south it has Israel which has numerous nuclear warheads provided by the USA.

The Iranian President, i believe, is uttering rhetoric when he makes pronouncements. He and his country feel threatened now.
They do not wish to negotiate with the IAEA....

Quote......
"After more than three years of agency efforts to seek clarity about all aspects of Iran's nuclear program, the existing gaps in knowledge continue to be a matter of concern," said the report. "Any progress in that regard requires full transparency and active cooperation by Iran."

This was reported by the IAEA....
" Iran continued to rebuff agency efforts to get answers in regard to suspicions Iran was attempting to make nuclear arms, the report said."
======================================
This is a country that has stated that it wants to "wipe Israel off the map."

Sure, I agree totally. Iran has genuine cause to feel threatened which is why I've buffered some of my anti-Iranian posts with the view the U.S. should offer Iran a deal for peace. That is a guarantee there will be no U.S. intervention in Iran or regime changes, if Iran co-operates with the U.N.
As for Israel, I'm sure most surrounding Arab countries must know by now Israel isn't the type of country to simply drop atom bombs on other countries. There is no threat to Iran from Israel but, yes, I can understand it feels threatened by those troops in Iraq.
However, let's also be aware Iran hasn't exactly done itself any favours lately by picking a fight with Denmark, urging Europe to prohibit the press from making jokes about religion and then calling for Israel to be wiped off the map. Iran seems to have antagonised Europe, worried Russia and played into the hands of the neo-cons.

limerickman said:

Carrera said:
Sure, I agree totally. Iran has genuine cause to feel threatened which is why I've buffered some of my anti-Iranian posts with the view the U.S. should offer Iran a deal for peace. That is a guarantee there will be no U.S. intervention in Iran or regime changes, if Iran co-operates with the U.N.
As for Israel, I'm sure most surrounding Arab countries must know by now Israel isn't the type of country to simply drop atom bombs on other countries. There is no threat to Iran from Israel but, yes, I can understand it feels threatened by those troops in Iraq.
However, let's also be aware Iran hasn't exactly done itself any favours lately by picking a fight with Denmark, urging Europe to prohibit the press from making jokes about religion and then calling for Israel to be wiped off the map. Iran seems to have antagonised Europe, worried Russia and played into the hands of the neo-cons.

Iran and Europe are far closer in relations that Iraq and Europe for example.
Europe doesn't feel threatened by Iran - Europe has commerical ties that bind Iran close to us.
The Russians and Chinese are trying to build commerical ties with Iran.
Therefore it is unlikely that Europe/China/Russia will support either economic or military sanctions against Iran.

Tonight Irans Minister for Energy said that he wanted to have a dialogue with the IAEA,

There is a problem though. After 9/11, the U.S. is very wary of Iran, suspecting that next time a whole city could be decimated. Also the fact Iranians have these placards and slogans not with "Death to Russia!" or "Death to China" but "Death to America!" So, naturally Russia and China aren't as worried as the U.S. or Israel.
Of course, things are less tense with Europe but let's not forget Iran is pressing for censorship of the free press in Europe. I hear Blair is now toying with a blasphemy law that will seek to make it a criminal offence to criticize Islam e.t.c. e.t.c. Then you have Iran's tirades against Denmark and demands over censorship.
My own view is the U.S. should first give peace a chance and offer Iran a guarantee of security if it abandons the nuclear program.
However, if Iran refuses then my own view is Europe must choose. Either it appeases Iran or it takes a stand and considers the implications a nuclear Iran could have for global stability.
I really don't think the U.S. or Israel will allow Iran to go nuclear, though.

limerickman said:
Iran and Europe are far closer in relations that Iraq and Europe for example.
Europe doesn't feel threatened by Iran - Europe has commerical ties that bind Iran close to us.
The Russians and Chinese are trying to build commerical ties with Iran.
Therefore it is unlikely that Europe/China/Russia will support either economic or military sanctions against Iran.

Tonight Irans Minister for Energy said that he wanted to have a dialogue with the IAEA,