issue with the tires.. or rider?

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
Hey guys.. well winter is definatly here... every day is rain, and the leaves litter the road.
Since i have had this bike only through the summer, and had to time to "winterize" my riding style, i have run into a problem on my winter rides. When riding around corners on a decent, usually mild corners at that, i allways feel like my bike is going to slip out from under me. People i ride with generally can decend faster on the corners, and im starting to wonder if it is just because i dont know my traction limits, or if my tires are really poor for the conditions i am riding in..

i am currently riding on hutchinson tech+ reflex..

any recomendations or techniques?

Thanks!

foild1 said:
Hey guys.. well winter is definatly here... every day is rain, and the leaves litter the road.
Since i have had this bike only through the summer, and had to time to "winterize" my riding style, i have run into a problem on my winter rides. When riding around corners on a decent, usually mild corners at that, i allways feel like my bike is going to slip out from under me. People i ride with generally can decend faster on the corners, and im starting to wonder if it is just because i dont know my traction limits, or if my tires are really poor for the conditions i am riding in..

Thanks!
Keep the bike upright and lean with your body like the Speedway Motorcyclists.
And don't go too fast.

so there isn 't any point to getting better winter tires?

are the hutchinson reflex any good?

foild1 said:
so there isn 't any point to getting better winter tires?

are the hutchinson reflex any good?
I've always been happy with Hutchinson, although I'm now even happier with Schwalbe. Reflective side walls are obviously good for winter riding.
Schwalbe tyres seem to be a bit shiny when they are new, which is why I didn't recommend them right away. Until they have worn a bit, they don't give the best possible grip when cornering.

foild1 said:

Thanks!

some people simply take more risks than others , fall off more often as well .

el Inglés said:
some people simply take more risks than others , fall off more often as well .
well.. i was looking at the continental "all season" tires?

i think thats what they are called.... any word on these?

foild1 said:
well.. i was looking at the continental "all season" tires?

i think thats what they are called.... any word on these?

Your regular tires are probably fine.

Take a look at this link. I like the suggestion to run a little lower tire pressure to increase your contact patch with the road.

http://www.tri-ecoach.com/art23.htm

I also keep my weight my weight back a little further to increase traction on the rear wheel.