Issues with breaks in training sessions?

cslone

Jul 12, 2004
Hi guys, I am a 27 y/o M with a 14 month old daughter. Our team is in prep for a stage race in 08. Our coach is training us through Training Peaks. Today the workout is:
Threshold Intervals. Warm-up 30 min in Zone 2.... Then do 5 intervals x 3 min at your LTHR ( Zone 4). Cadence 90-100 RPM. Recover 3 min between reps. Recover 10 min in Zone 2 after the set. Then do 5 x 10 sec form sprints @ 80% of max effort.....recover for 5 min between each......Finish the ride in Zone 2 to include a 10 min Cool Down.

So, wanting to hang Christmas lights and go to dinner with my family tonight, I thought I would put my daughter down for her typically 2.5 hour nap and hop on the trainer. Right at 1 hour, or during my recovery after the first set, she woke up. That means lunch time, and another 1-2 hours before she'll nap again.

My question is; Does this break negatively affect me? I am still doing the work, but does the proper adaptation still occur whether it's 2 hours straight or 2 hours broken into 2 segments of 1 hour each? We have baby number two on the way and I think(or know) that there will be more days that this will occur. Generally I do my workouts at 0430am or 1000pm when everyone is in bed so it's not too big of an issue.

Thanks for any input.

Alex Simmons said:
Every now and then I wouldn't sweat it.

What does your coach say?

He's not going to be back this week, so I figured I'd post it up here.

The reason I was asking is that I kinda freak when it happens. I guess I'm just wondering if I should never try to ride while she's sleeping and just lose a little bit of sleep by working out later, or if I will retain the entire workout even though it's split 3 hours apart(every great once in a while).

Thanks Alex!