Issues with young cyclists?

OxfordRoutes

May 31, 2022
I have been around cycling all my life. A lot of adults, especially around Oxford, have awful attitudes and little awareness beyond themselves but get given so much leeway on the roads whereas me and my friends who are safer and more aware of our surroundings get yelled at, horn beeped or told to stay off the roads? whats wrong~

I have plenty of friends that THINK they're good safe riders but really suck. Maybe you fall into this category? You wouldn't even realize it anyway.

My older friends get yelled at honked at and even hit by vehicles. But yet all those would claim to be safe riders.

I ride the same roads day and night and have never been yelled at in 25 years of cycling. I think there is a reason for that and why vehicular traffic is so courteous when I'm out on the road.

I've actually watched my buddies' videos of close calls and can see why they have troubles.

Sometimes I think people riding in groups get honked at more than those riding solo. I ride solo the vast majority of the time and if I get yelled at, it's usually my fault like failing to signal, getting distracted myself, or making abrupt / unexpected changes in direction.

Sometimes I think people riding in groups get honked at more than those riding solo. I ride solo the vast majority of the time and if I get yelled at, it's usually my fault like failing to signal, getting distracted myself, or making abrupt / unexpected changes in direction.
I agree.

I ride solo most times on the road. Obey all rules and follow every movement that will keep me safe. Signaling, complete stops, and only cutting over for left turns when it's clear.

In return I find drivers very courteous even when I don't want it. Like climbing a hill getting to a 4 way busy intersection and EVERY direction, all lanes stop to wave you through when you're hoping for that one minute stop to catch your breath ha ha ha!

I rode with a group and found it too dangerous. I mean a very wide shoulder and bike lane but at the wrong times weaker riders go around hoping for a chance to be up front.

Getting dropped on hills flats but then on a downhill, they crank it up to go around the stronger riders. Going around a group of 6, going way out of the lane into 60 mph traffic putting us all in danger. Group of 25 with 5 or 6 dangerous riders is too scary. Blowing intersections, out of lanes unexpectedly, dumb stuff that upsets drivers.

I don't need that.

Reactions: cobbwheels
In return I find drivers very courteous even when I don't want it. Like climbing a hill getting to a 4 way busy intersection and EVERY direction, all lanes stop to wave you through when you're hoping for that one minute stop to catch your breath ha ha ha!

They probably assumed you'll have problem resuming the climb if you stopped! It happened to me a few times when I had to stop in the middle of a steep climb can be very difficult to resume the climb. Often you'll have to start downhill in the opposite direction, against the traffic or perpendicular to the road and then make a tight turn to resume the climb. Not a problem if the road is mostly empty but if there's plenty of cars on the road, can be daunting!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Perhaps young cyclists have this behavior because they are more focused on the thought that they are doing something cool, instead of focusing on the control of the bike and on their body ... I don’t know. It's just that young people have such a feature that they do not concentrate on a business or occupation, but are proud that they were able to start doing something.