Istanbul to Prague

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Barney Barumba, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe next May/June from Istanbul to Prague. Probable route is
    from Istanbul up the Black Sea coast through Burgas to Varna, before heading inland to cross the
    Danube at Silistra. From there, acrsoss to Bucharest, up into Transylvania via Brasov and then
    generally north then west to Budapest, Vienna and Prague.

    I'm planning to mix hostels and guesthouses with camping and taking 40-50 days for the whole trip,
    so I'm in no rush and have plenty of time for detours and sight-seeing.

    Does anyone have any experience of cycling in this region, such as general road conditions, border
    crossings, must see spots, route tips, guesthouses, camping or anything else?

    Regards,

    Barney

    Tags:

  2. > I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe next May/June from Istanbul to Prague. Probable route is
    > from Istanbul up the Black Sea coast through Burgas to Varna, before heading inland to cross the
    > Danube at Silistra. From there, acrsoss to Bucharest, up into Transylvania via Brasov and then
    > generally north then west to Budapest, Vienna and Prague.
    >
    > I'm planning to mix hostels and guesthouses with camping and taking 40-50 days for the whole trip,
    > so I'm in no rush and have plenty of time for detours and sight-seeing.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of cycling in this region, such as general road conditions, border
    > crossings, must see spots, route tips, guesthouses, camping or anything else?

    I've only ridden in Austria - Vienna to Passau along the Danube - so not too much to contribute.
    But, .... if you want to stay in Vienna (expensive - but a uniquely great city worth seeing) - you
    should know that there IS camping in Vienna. http://www.wiencamping.at/index_eng.asp (use the menu
    near the bottom).

    Don't miss out on the Heurigen while in Austria (family vineyards serving wine with a buffet).

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  3. dcurren

    dcurren Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:51:32 UTC, Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe next May/June from Istanbul to Prague.
    >
    > I've only ridden in Austria - Vienna to Passau along the Danube - so not too much to contribute.

    I made that same trip. I camped the whole way. Every evening about 4 or 5 pm I would start asking
    people along the trail if they knew a campground in the area. I discovered that canoe clubs along
    the river have wonderful campgrounds. I think it's wonderful that some people still travel by
    canoe on the rivers. The other campgrounds were full of cars parked very close together and not
    nearly as nice.

  4. Bikerider7

    Bikerider7 Guest

    [email protected] (Barney Barumba) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe next May/June from Istanbul to Prague. Probable route is
    > from Istanbul up the Black Sea coast through Burgas to Varna, before heading inland to cross the
    > Danube at Silistra. From there, acrsoss to Bucharest, up into Transylvania via Brasov and then
    > generally north then west to Budapest, Vienna and Prague.
    >

    > Does anyone have any experience of cycling in this region, such as general road conditions, border
    > crossings, must see spots, route tips, guesthouses, camping or anything else?

    I biked Budapest-Vienna-Prague 1.5 years ago. Probably the most bizarre thing I saw was the Ossuary
    in Kutna Hora, a 1-day bike ride east of Prague.

    Overall, road conditions are excellent except for getting
    in/out of Budapest and Prague. Biking into Vienna was no problem. Budapest has a decent backpackers
    hostel centrally located. Budget accomodations in Prague and Vienna can be hard to find if you
    want something in the center of town.

  5. I did part of that route on my trip from Sweden to Asia. Check out my site "Europe to Asia by Bike".
    Click on 'maps', 'route' or 'journal' to fin info on the route and 'planning' to find info on maps
    to buy on the road.

    http://www.geocities.com/tallabomba