It’s all over for Heras..... its official – he is a cheat....

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Feb 8, 2006.

1. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

As we all knew, no mix ups, no tampered samples, no broken protocols... The testing is watertight and proven... again.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9472.0.html

The Spanish Cycling Federation on Wednesday stripped apparent winner Roberto Heras of his 2005 Vuelta a España title and suspended him for two years for testing positive for EPO after the 20th-stage individual time trial at last year's Vuelta.

The punishment, handed down by the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC), means that Heras' 2005 Vuelta title goes to Russia's Denis Menchov of Rabobank.

The 31-year-old Heras failed the test for EPO after the 20th stage, an individual time trial between Guadalajara and Alcala de Henares, on September 17.

Heras was fired by his Liberty-Seguros after the failed test was made public.

Under current UCI ProTour rules, doping suspensions are effectively doubled, as riders are banned from joining ProTour teams for twice their initial suspension, meaning that, if upheld, the penalty could mark the end of the Spanish climber's career

Tags:

2. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

What a lame story. Must be really bittersweet for Menchov who clearly had Heras's number until the big mt. stage and the ridiculous time trial Heras turned in. So Menchov is vindicated as the best rider in the race and gets the Vuelta title but in a really sad way. At least Mick Rogers backed up getting Millar's title by winning himself the next year. I sincerely hope Menchov does the same in this year's Vuelta just because he deserves it. If he wins outright this year, nobody will remember that he got 2005 when it was ripped from a cheater. Not his fault but still not the same as standing on the podium for real.

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Menchov has already said he doesn't want to title and will not accept it....

4. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

can't really blame him for that reaction but he also knows he was robbed and had the legs to win, deserved to win. But who the heck wants to get a title in the mail five months after the race when you find out the guy who kicked your a$$ is a cheater? Menchov is definitely getting screwed here.

5. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I think Menchov is playing it smart here - he wants the winner position to be left blank with a big asterisk showing that the winner was stripped of his title. I think that's an important thing for the sport to recognize and it looks better than having the asterisk next to his own name.

UCI site hasn't made any changes yet:
    1 HERAS HERNANDEZ Roberto (ESP) ESP19740221 LIBERTY SEGUROS - WÜRTH TEAM
    2 MENCHOV Denis (RUS) RUS19780125 RABOBANK
    3 SASTRE CANDIL Carlos (ESP) ESP19750422 TEAM CSC

Although now it looks like Menchov is going to accept after all:

Los organizadores de la Vuelta a España ya estaban preparados para esta posibilidad. "Le daremos el triunfo oficial a Denis Menchov una vez nos lo comunique la UCI", confirmó Víctor Cordero, director deportivo de la carrera. "Estamos pensando en montar un podio en nuestra sede (es la misma que la de Antena 3) para investirle el maillot amarillo a Menchov".

"Me gusta esa idea", dijo el ruso del Rabobank. "Me hace ilusión ganar la Vuelta, aunque era algo que ya sabía desde noviembre y sólo era cuestión de esperar"

<they're thinking of reconstructing the podium and making a ceremony of presenting the jersey to Menchov. Menchov says he likes the idea>

6. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

At the Rabobank team presentation Menchov said, it isn't a real victory if you win at the green table. He looked very uncomfortable with the situation, didn't really want to answer questions about the Heras case and the Vuelta...

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

The result is watertight and unequivocal.

I'm not one to kick a man when he's down, Heras is now paying the price.

Maybe it's a forlorn hope but perhaps Roberto might at some point acknowledge his action instead of denying it.

8. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

...or do the right thing and lift the lid on the practice of doping to help those who want to rid the sport of this cancer.....

9. velodrome.co.nr

velodrome.co.nr New Member

he's never going to make a comeback now, he's too old
    and why couldn't he own up to his crimes?

10. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

12. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Using the Armstrong defence of having 487 tests and never been pinned..... but you're only guilty when ur caught out, aren't you.... heard it before.... go away Heras.....

"I have participated in nine editions of the Vuelta. I won four and I was second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and I had 36 days as race leader and I always did it with rigor and honesty," he said. "And there are more than 50 blood and urine controls that I passed during those years to prove it."

13. noonievut

noonievut New Member

I just read the Velonews magazine that came out after Heras won the Vuelta. It was funny to read all the embelishments about how he dominated, 4 in a row, the great TT, etc.

I don't know much about testing for doping, but why can't they test the samples right after they pee in the cup? Can they at least catch 80% of the doping posibilities within a quicker time frame? They take the necessary time for the more complex tests. This would certainly make it easier on the eventual winner.

Sad...quite sad.

14. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

The never ending story...

15. rocko

rocko New Member

I feel sorry for the guy but only on a human level and only because he probably thought (correctly or not) that all his main competitors were doping too. A few questions are raised if Heras is innocent: 1) how could he have been so woeful during the Tour then gone to his hometown to train and suddenly have been so fast? What exactly do they put in the water in Bejar? 2) if you were accused of such a crime and had not cheated would your reaction not be a tad more vociferous? 3) if Menchov hadn't doped and been the victim of cheating how come he hasn't been more vociferous, even after he has been given the legal right to claim the title? I would scream from the foortops, "I'm the winner, that b*st*rd cheated!"

I'm afraid I don't trust any pro cyclist over the age of 25 who says he doesn't dope (except maybe Brad McGee and ironically now David Millar). The more high profile cheats are caught and dumped out of the sport the better for its long-term prospects.

16. rocko

rocko New Member

I feel sorry for the guy but only on a human level and only because he probably thought (correctly or not) that all his main competitors were doping too. A few questions are raised if Heras is innocent: 1) how could he have been so woeful during the Tour then gone to his hometown to train and suddenly have been so fast? What exactly do they put in the water in Bejar? 2) if you were accused of such a crime and had not cheated would your reaction not be a tad more vociferous? 3) if Menchov hadn't doped and been the victim of cheating how come he hasn't been more vociferous, even after he has been given the legal right to claim the title? I would scream from the rooftops, "I'm the winner, that b*st*rd cheated!"

I'm afraid I don't trust any pro cyclist over the age of 25 who says he doesn't dope (except maybe Brad McGee and ironically now David Millar). The more high profile cheats are caught and dumped out of the sport the better for its long-term prospects.

17. Flyer's.Finale!

Flyer's.Finale! New Member

Jealous rumors? Heras a doper?

Another French conspiracy to discredit Lance Pharmstrong.

Landis
    Hamilton
    Joachim
    Beltran
    Padrnos
    Andreu
    Swartz
    Ferrari

and now Roberto Heras.

18. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Took you a long time to find an old thread like this.