It appears that I was cheated out of some service on my bike.

Briguy

Aug 25, 2004
I took my bike to a local shop called Bike America for a tune up. I made note to them that my front brakes pulsated when applying them which might indicate that it needs to be trued out. I also noted that I was having issues with my rear wheel possibly causing flats. I had told him that I was running my old tube from my off road tires in what I have now which is my road tires. It is a bit big so around the stem the tire slightly bulges out and you can feel it when you ride. They indicated that they were going to tune the bike up, put some wheel tape on the rear wheel, and replace the rear tube. I called up yesterday asking if my bike was ready and they said yes. I asked how much and he said well we did this and this and this for a total of $61. He indicated they did what I asked them to do. I pick the bike up and I am in a hurry so I throw it on my rack and go home. Today I ride my bike and it changes gears much easier. Very nice. Apply the front brakes and that it where the nice part of it ends. The wheel is still exactely the same. No better what so ever. Not only that but I still feel the hump in my rear tire. I flatten the tire and look and I'l be damn that it looks like the same big ass tube is in there. Here is a good question:

- What color is wheel tape normally? I honestly do not think they even put wheel tape on my wheel. All I can see is the same clear plastic ring on my wheel.

I checked the front wheel and there appears to be no wheel tape up there. Wanted to make sure that they accidently did the wrong wheel.

So what should I do? I know I will take it back but should I get part of my money back for having to haul the bike across town on my time to get there screw up correct? I was thinking about putting a real road bike in layaway there but am having second thoughts. I am wondering if they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes becuase I am a newb.

Briguy said:
I took my bike to a local shop called Bike America for a tune up. I made note to them that my front brakes pulsated when applying them which might indicate that it needs to be trued out. I also noted that I was having issues with my rear wheel possibly causing flats. I had told him that I was running my old tube from my off road tires in what I have now which is my road tires. It is a bit big so around the stem the tire slightly bulges out and you can feel it when you ride. They indicated that they were going to tune the bike up, put some wheel tape on the rear wheel, and replace the rear tube. I called up yesterday asking if my bike was ready and they said yes. I asked how much and he said well we did this and this and this for a total of $61. He indicated they did what I asked them to do. I pick the bike up and I am in a hurry so I throw it on my rack and go home. Today I ride my bike and it changes gears much easier. Very nice. Apply the front brakes and that it where the nice part of it ends. The wheel is still exactely the same. No better what so ever. Not only that but I still feel the hump in my rear tire. I flatten the tire and look and I'l be damn that it looks like the same big ass tube is in there. Here is a good question:

- What color is wheel tape normally? I honestly do not think they even put wheel tape on my wheel. All I can see is the same clear plastic ring on my wheel.

I checked the front wheel and there appears to be no wheel tape up there. Wanted to make sure that they accidently did the wrong wheel.

So what should I do? I know I will take it back but should I get part of my money back for having to haul the bike across town on my time to get there screw up correct? I was thinking about putting a real road bike in layaway there but am having second thoughts. I am wondering if they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes becuase I am a newb.
Call the guys first and explain the situation. If they charged you to fix it then they should either issue you a refund or actually fix it. It's possible they gipped you but then again everyone makes a mistake now and then, maybe they forgot about it and it was an honest mistake.
I think there are a lot of different colored wheel tapes.

I am thinking that they should perform the service and give a partial refund for having to have my wife take time out of her day to get the bike over there. I will call later this morning to see what the deal is.