IT band injury

Harrow

New Member
Jun 17, 2003
My regular running program is three runs a week. 5k, 8k, and 12k. Then one week I replaced my 12k run with an 18k run, which felt OK.

Two days later I could barely walk. I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band. Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can barely do and easy 20 min run.

How long should this take to get better ?

I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to do the run.

Any ideas, comments?

Thanks,
Harrow.

"Harrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Two days later I could barely walk. I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band.
> Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can barely do and easy 20 min run.

Can I get the obvious "That must be a harrowing experience" out of the way first? Thanks!

ITB difficulties really are a YMMV sorta thing, so I'll tell you what I did and leave the final
choices to you.

> How long should this take to get better ?

Depends how much pain you enjoy and how religiously you perform your exercises. You'll be inundated
with pointers to sites giving the usual ITB stretches. Choose a few and perform them every couple of
hours. Combine with your anti-inflammatory of choice.

In my experience, the pain doesn't go away immediately and there's a certain amount of running
through the pain that has to be undertaken. I'd go for multiple short runs during the day, say 1k
before breakfast, 3k at lunchtime and 2k in the evening. Your swimming should help matters but I'd
be very wary about cycling 'cause even though it may be pain-free it irritates muscle/tendon down
the outside of your knee that could do without it.

The stretches will 'cure' it, though you'll have to perform them the remainder of your running days
if you wish to avoid a recurrence. I'd say a couple of weeks running through diminishing levels of
pain, then a gradual increase in your mileage to its normal values.

> I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to
> do the run.

I'm guessing that you're correct.

Roger.

Try yoga, the swan position, the beginner lotus position and the down facing dog really helped me
with my ITB syndrome.They are fairly easy to do and really increase your range of motion in your hip
flexor as well as stretching the ITB band. Hang in there it does get better.

I also got regular sports massages and went to physio for ultrasound therapy for about a 4
week stretch.

Good Luck,

D."Harrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My regular running program is three runs a week. 5k, 8k, and 12k. Then one week I replaced my 12k
> run with an 18k run, which felt OK.
>
> Two days later I could barely walk. I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band.
> Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can barely do and easy 20 min run.
>
> How long should this take to get better ?
>
> I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to
> do the run.
>
> Any ideas, comments?
>
> Thanks, Harrow.
>

> --
> -

In article <[email protected]>,
Harrow <[email protected]> wrote:

> My regular running program is three runs a week. 5k, 8k, and 12k. Then one week I replaced my 12k
> run with an 18k run, which felt OK.
>
> Two days later I could barely walk. I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band.
> Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can barely do and easy 20 min run.
>
> How long should this take to get better ?
>
> I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to
> do the run.
>
> Any ideas, comments?
>
> Thanks, Harrow.

how are the shoes doing? have you been wearing them long - like close to 4-500 miles? my recent ITB
probs are linked to a need for a new pair of shoes. so there :)

ice the ITB, gently stretch frequently, roll it if it's really bad, rest it (don't run, or run fewer
miles for a bit). you've probably already done some or all of these things. taking ibuprofen will
help reduce swelling.

leg raises of various kinds can provide some low-level strengthening of the quads and even out any
imbalances that may lead to the ITBS.

sorry, i can't speculate as to how long it'll take to recover, but i'd hazard a guess as to say you
could be ready for your HIM - *IF* you are able to continue to run with the ITBS, that is. treat it
aggressively... frequently, diligently, carefully... and you could be fine for the race.

Cam

--
Not every race can be a perfect experience, but every race can be a learning experience.

[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
details. ]]

In article <[email protected]>, Harrow <[email protected]> wrote:

> My regular running program is three runs a week. 5k, 8k, and 12k. Then one week I replaced my 12k
> run with an 18k run, which felt OK.
>
> Two days later I could barely walk. I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band.
> Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can barely do and easy 20 min run.
>
> How long should this take to get better ?
>
> I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to
> do the run.
>
> Any ideas, comments?
>
> Thanks, Harrow.

A compilation of thoughts on the IT Band and some suggestions: Ozzie

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> I am training for the Disney Marathon in less than 3 weeks. I did a 22 miler three weeks ago,
> although i did good my left knee hurt afterwards.I tried to do the 24 miler as follows i Galloways
> program and at mie 12 started having severe pain on side -towards the middle of the knee, i touch
> my upper calf and it hurts I could not continue to run, i tried for a few seconds and the pain
> shot up again and made me stop. What is it that I have? how can I cure it in time for my race?
> Rest, how long? Medication? Exercise? Streching? Please help this is my first marathon and want to
> finish, I was doing so good > thanks!

Some previous posts that might be of help:

In article <[email protected]>, "Rolando Rosito"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I have been diagnosed with ITB Syndrome, I rested completely for one month an then began swimming
> for two months but I still have pain in the outside of my left knee. Haven't tried running yet but
> I think it will hurt, so I am still holding back my urge!.
>
> I have also been doing stretching exercises for the band but they don't seem to work.
>
> Crossing my left leg over my right, to get my left ankle over my right knee is what hurts the
> most, is this something else?
>
> Can anybody give me some advice??? Thanks Rolando

Rolando,

Check out the picture with the post "Strengthening the Hams & Quads?
http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

Rolling on the outside of the quad, the IT Band is one way to slowly and lovingly get some
fascial release.

Remember that if it's the outside where you feel the pain, then more than likely your thigh has
rotated a little to the outside. That also means that the adductors along the inside of the thigh
may also be shortened.

Straddle a chair or sit on a low wall with rounded edges which is about 15 inches wide. Allow the
inside of the thighs to slide down the edges to slowly work the tightness of the muscles or of the
fascia to gradually be worked so that the inside thighs are not holding.

Another way is to sit on the corner of a table so that you are on your sitz bones. Allow the legs to
hang straight down. The further you sit back from the corner, even an inch or two, means that the
edges of the table are resting on the inside of the thigh near the groin area. This is another way
to loosen up the inside thighs.

Loosen up the inside, work on the outside by rolling on them and roll on the quads and do the proper
stretching of the hams and you'll find that the knee pain in most cases will diminish or go away
altogether.

#2:

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I can't run because I have ITBS, but is cycling o.k.? can it delay the recovery?
> Thanks...Bernard

To get an visual understanding check outthe Sports Med Web:
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/medtent.1.html

The article says:

The iliotibial (IT) band is a tough group of fibers that run along the outside of the thigh. The
gluteal muscles and the tensor fascia lata muscle attach to the top, and the lower part attaches to
the tibia, just below the knee. It functions primarily as a stabilizer during running and can become
irritated from overuse. Runners will usually describe pain on the outside part of the knee or lower
thigh, often worsened by going up or down stairs, or getting out of a car.

Predisposing factors for the development of IT band inflammation include training error and abnormal
biomechanics.

Some runners make the mistake of only running on one side of the road. Most roads are higher in the
center and slope off on either side. The foot that is on the outside part of the road is therefore
lower than the other. This causes the pelvis to tilt to one side and stresses the IT band. (Oz
editorial: I think the pelvic tilt is already there and the cambre of the road may exaggerate a
problem that is there. I don't see it as a cause effect. The next paragraph explains it well)

The biomechanical abnormalities that may lead to IT band problems are, excessive pronation of the
foot, leg length discrepancy, lateral pelvic tilt, and "bowed" legs. Tight gluteal or quadriceps
muscles may also contribute. Video tape analysis is a great tool for uncovering biomechanical
problems. (Oz ed: seems like they are mainly caused by muscular imbalances which lead to skeletal
misalignments which manifest in the above mentioned biomechanical abnormalities)

Treatment consists of relative rest, ice massage, addressing any biomechanical or training errors,
and gentle stretching . When doing the IT band stretch the "pulling" sensation is usually felt along
the mid to upper thigh. Don't worry if this doesn't seem to exactly hit the site where the pain
occurs. The IT band is a long structure and the goal is to get it to loosen and lengthen. Along the
same lines, gentle stretching of the gluteal muscles will also help.

Prevention of the IT band syndrome is achieved by running on a level surface or alternating
directions on the road, a balanced approach to training which allows for rest and recovery, and
preventive stretching. In some strengthening the external hip rotators will help. This is achieved
by doing sets of one leg squats in front of a mirror. Watch pelvic alignment to ensure that one side
does not drop. Finally, orthotics can be quite useful if you have a tendency to develop IT band
inflammation. (End of article)

Check the gutter rolling picture at: http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

The IT band is located laterally (on the side) between the quads on the anterior (front) and the
gluts and hams on the posterior(back) side.

If the gluts are too tight, the hamstrings are shortened by bad sitting posture, the quads are
tightened by imbalanced standing posture, the end result is a rotation of the thigh (femur) to the
outside. When that becomes chronic, you can see it in the splay of the way most of us stand \/
rather than || with our feet. You can turn your feet inward but it comes from all the stuff going on
in the pelvic and thigh areas.

You can roll the quads as seen in the pictures at http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp. But remember
that the body is a system. So don't neglect the inside thigh (adductor) muscles. You need to massage
and work those muscles loose also.

Straddle a stool, or chair so that the sides of the stool/chair/ smooth cornered low wall, bench,
and allow the edges of the stool, chair or whatever,and let the inside thigh muscles slide down the
edges to work and loosen the inside thigh muscles so that they let go. This helps in the work you've
done on the rolling of the quads or stretching the hams.

This is another post from last year that may also help as it repeats the above in another way:

[...]

altogether.marathon and knee problems

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer - rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon
Clinic, est. 1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

Harrow wrote:

>My regular running program is three runs a week. 5k, 8k, and 12k. Then one week I replaced my 12k
>run with an 18k run, which felt OK.

That's almost a 25% increase on your weekly mileage. Some people (myself included) like to quote the
rule of tens: on a week to week basis only increase one of distance, speed or frequency by a maximum
of 10%. Otherwise the risk of injury is increased. I would recommend adding a forth run: make it 5km
and take 2 or 3km off the 12km.

>Two days later I could barely walk.

You're lucky, it was 2 hours later for me. I couldn't walk stairs almost a week. Mine was a bit more
extreme. My stupid fault for running longer and faster, and doing it with the route covered in more
than 10cm of fresh snow.

>I went to physio, and they diagnosed an imflammed IT band. Well it has been 7 weeks now, and I can
>barely do and easy 20 min run.
>
>How long should this take to get better ?

It took me 6 mos to get over the chronic from running. I had to start again. I'm up to 20km/week but
I really don't feel strong enough and worry I could do it again if I'm not careful. Cycling gives me
sore knees at 10km, which is pathetic as I used to ride 10 *miles*/day. Don't let my doom and gloom
get you down though - like I said, mine was pretty extreme

>I was planning to do a half-ironman in 7 weeks time, but now do not think it will be achievable to
>do the run.
>
>Any ideas, comments?

Take it easy. Don't risk making the injury worse by over doing it trying to get to that one event.
There are always opportunities later on. If after a couple of weeks rest you feel no pain, then push
harder, but at the first sign of pain stop. For me I would get pain in my knee after 2km (last May).
If I ignored it, it would turn chronic very quickly within 300m. If I let it get that bad, I wasn't
able to walk up and down stairs... if I stopped at the first sign of pain I would be okay

Oh: be careful about stretching until after the pain subsides. You could inflame it more or
make it worse.

Malc