it band injury

fordguru

Apr 15, 2009
ok i have injured my it band doing some running. i prob started to big on distance. the question is.. WILL RIDING THE BIKE KEEP IT SLIGHTLY INFLAMMED? i get no pain from riding but as soon as i go back to the treadmill the pain comes back quick. i have read that i should maybe take it easy on all leg exersise that makes me bend at the knee for a bit.. what do you guys think?

I am not a doctor but I have had It band problems in the past. With cycling it is usually caused from to much climbing. The best way to recover from it is staying of the bike and then very easy rides so that it can heal. That being said If I were you I would just let it be so it can heal and then ease back in to it.

My two cents worth.

I've been plagued by IT bands on both sides from running some years ago even from 1-2 runs/week. Switching to riding always helped, inflamed IT bands never bothered me on a bike no matter how fast I was riding, although incorrect seat height (a bit low in my case) made it noticeable.

I tried to prevent ITBS with stretching IT bands but it never worked. Good riddance, running. If God wanted me to run, he wouldn't invent the bicycle!

i've had ITB issues from riding. However, this is pretty much resolved now by addressing strength imbalances and regularly rolling out (foam roller) my IT band.