IT-Band Stuff

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Hank, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Hank

    Hank Guest

    Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some of
    you that may have experienced similar problems. I have been
    running injury free for a while but recently (starting about
    2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side of my right knee that
    feels like its an IT-Band problem. It hurts rotating the
    knee through about 30 degrees from the extended position and
    going down stairs was painful at its worst. I took a week
    off an began running again. Little pain during the easy, 20
    minute run but the pain after exercise came back again. Took
    another couple days off an ran again today. Easy, 20 mins.
    And now, pain again, though not as bad as before and now,
    about 9 hrs after my run, its basically gone. I should say
    that I bought a new pair of running shoes a few weeks ago.
    No big changes. Just went from an old pair of Asics 2080s to
    some new 2090's. My training loads have been constant over
    the past month or two, definitely no increases in mileage or
    changes in running surfaces or routes. I've been medicating
    as well, therapeutic NSAIDS prn. I'm just afraid that I will
    take another few days off and run, and then have the same
    problem. I want to address the cause, but its difficult to
    discern and it seems like I've attacked all the variables.
    I've been stretching extra good too and trying to strengthen
    my adductors. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Hank

    Tags:

  2. Mb

    Mb Guest

    No advice, just here to commiserate. I recently was
    diagnosed with the same problem. I had gotten up to 16 miles
    in training for a late spring marathon, but the pain
    steadily increased, so I had to pull back. I haven't tried
    to run in 6 days, per my doc's advice.

    I'm also frustrated with all the variables...I seem to have
    several of them. My feet are kinda flat, my legs are kinda
    bowed, I recently increased my mileage (tho not too fast, I
    don't think), etc.

    This sucks.

    [email protected] (Hank) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some of
    > you that may have experienced similar problems. I have
    > been running injury free for a while but recently
    > (starting about 2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side of
    > my right knee that feels like its an IT-Band problem. It
    > hurts rotating the knee through about 30 degrees from the
    > extended position and going down stairs was painful at its
    > worst. I took a week off an began running again. Little
    > pain during the easy, 20 minute run but the pain after
    > exercise came back again. Took another couple days off an
    > ran again today. Easy, 20 mins. And now, pain again,
    > though not as bad as before and now, about 9 hrs after my
    > run, its basically gone. I should say that I bought a new
    > pair of running shoes a few weeks ago. No big changes.
    > Just went from an old pair of Asics 2080s to some new
    > 2090's. My training loads have been constant over the past
    > month or two, definitely no increases in mileage or
    > changes in running surfaces or routes. I've been
    > medicating as well, therapeutic NSAIDS prn. I'm just
    > afraid that I will take another few days off and run, and
    > then have the same problem. I want to address the cause,
    > but its difficult to discern and it seems like I've
    > attacked all the variables. I've been stretching extra
    > good too and trying to strengthen my adductors. Any advice
    > is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Hank

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    [email protected] (Hank) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some of
    > you that may have experienced similar problems. I have
    > been running injury free for a while but recently
    > (starting about 2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side of
    > my right knee that feels like its an IT-Band problem. It
    > hurts rotating the knee through about 30 degrees from the
    > extended position and going down stairs was painful at its
    > worst. I took a week off an began running again. Little
    > pain during the easy, 20 minute run but the pain after
    > exercise came back again. Took another couple days off an
    > ran again today. Easy, 20 mins. And now, pain again

    I agree that this is most likely an IT-Band problem. My
    advice to you would be to stop running all together for at
    least 7-10 days (I know it's hard, but if you want the pain
    to stop you have to). If you can, get on a bike during that
    time, because that usually won't aggravate the problem.
    Avoid stairs and downhills like the plague. After your rest,
    you have to gradually move back up to your normal
    distance/time. Run 1 to 2 miles slowly, if you feel any kind
    of dull ache, or worse, pain in your knee then stop (you can
    still bike afterward). Ice your knee, stretch, and take 2-3
    ibuprofin when your done. Take a rest, or bike the next day,
    then run the day after your rest up until you feel
    discomfort (but no longer), rest again the following day.
    Each day you run, you should get a little farther befor the
    discomfort appears. After a week or two it should be gone
    completely. It usually takes 3-4 weeks to completely get
    over a case of ITBS. Never run steep or long downhills
    during this time and try to avoid running on roads that
    slant at the edge. If you can, stick to sidewalks and
    running paths.

  4. Dieshooter

    Dieshooter Guest

    You don't say how far you run, but it sounds like
    you're doing everything you're supposed to do in
    combating IT problems.

    I struggled through it, but it isn't easy. First, try taking
    more than a couple days off .. take a whole week, and be
    sure to elevate and ice the area for about 20 mins a day. I
    also used Vioxx to help control the swelling (prescription,
    but just an anti-inflamatory, so doctors usually even give
    you some free samples, it's not a narcotic) .. I also bought
    and used a cho-pat, or "pat strap" .. available on the
    internet. It's a cloth strap you wrap around your leg just
    above the knee, holds the it band in place and reduces
    irritation. It worked wonders for me.

    And you shoes perhaps just aren't proving enough support.
    you don't mention if you pronate or not, but maybe you
    should look at the Asics gel foundation or gel mc, both more
    of a motion control shoe.

    Be patient. Pushing the it too hard and fast just makes it
    worse. If you are patient with it and take the time to
    address the issue, it will go away.

    Good luck!

    [email protected] (Hank) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some of
    > you that may have experienced similar problems. I have
    > been running injury free for a while but recently
    > (starting about 2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side of
    > my right knee that feels like its an IT-Band problem. It
    > hurts rotating the knee through about 30 degrees from the
    > extended position and going down stairs was painful at its
    > worst. I took a week off an began running again. Little
    > pain during the easy, 20 minute run but the pain after
    > exercise came back again. Took another couple days off an
    > ran again today. Easy, 20 mins. And now, pain again,
    > though not as bad as before and now, about 9 hrs after my
    > run, its basically gone. I should say that I bought a new
    > pair of running shoes a few weeks ago. No big changes.
    > Just went from an old pair of Asics 2080s to some new
    > 2090's. My training loads have been constant over the past
    > month or two, definitely no increases in mileage or
    > changes in running surfaces or routes. I've been
    > medicating as well, therapeutic NSAIDS prn. I'm just
    > afraid that I will take another few days off and run, and
    > then have the same problem. I want to address the cause,
    > but its difficult to discern and it seems like I've
    > attacked all the variables. I've been stretching extra
    > good too and trying to strengthen my adductors. Any advice
    > is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Hank

  5. jobin

    jobin Guest

    Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some
    > of you that may have experienced similar problems. I
    > have been running injury free for a while but recently
    > (starting about 2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side
    > of my right knee that feels like its an IT-Band problem.
    > It hurts

    i had similar problems last year and i wasn't sure if it was
    ITB or something else. anyway, i did a lot of stretching and
    that seemed to take care of the problem. here's a link i got
    from anthony (a r.r. regular) back then:

    http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/

    good luck. jobs

  6. Steve W.

    Steve W. Guest

    Are you doing one of the ITB specific stretches? My
    experience is if you have an ITB problem and you do one the
    stretches you will jump through the roof because of the
    sharp pain it causes.

    When I had it I rested for a few days and then gradually
    brought in the crossed leg ITB strech into my regular
    routine. It took about 3 weeks before I could do the stretch
    with no abnormal soreness. In the 4 years since I've had no
    further problems.

    There is a pretty good book on running injuries that
    describes symtoms, diagnostic tests and treatment
    recommendations. I think it is called "Running Injury Free"
    and is less than $15 through Amazon.

    Steve W.

    > I've been stretching extra good too and trying to
    > strengthen my adductors. Any advice is greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Hank

  7. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve W.) wrote:

    > Are you doing one of the ITB specific stretches? My
    > experience is if you have an ITB problem and you do one
    > the stretches you will jump through the roof because of
    > the sharp pain it causes.
    >
    > When I had it I rested for a few days and then gradually
    > brought in the crossed leg ITB strech into my regular
    > routine. It took about 3 weeks before I could do the
    > stretch with no abnormal soreness. In the 4 years since
    > I've had no further problems.
    >
    > There is a pretty good book on running injuries that
    > describes symtoms, diagnostic tests and treatment
    > recommendations. I think it is called "Running Injury
    > Free" and is less than $15 through Amazon.
    >
    > Steve W.
    >
    > > I've been stretching extra good too and trying to
    > > strengthen my adductors. Any advice is greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Hank

    ITBS is my biggest challenge to avoid. i went through at
    least a couple of layoffs due to the condition. then i
    learned about some variations on the basic standing/legs
    crossed stretch. i also found that the piriformis was
    involved in this problem - for me, anyway, so i learned a
    good piriformis stretch too.

    i have found through experience that simply keeping ALL leg
    muscles loose and in good shape is the key. it's not easy to
    do that, but i make sure that i stretch and ROLL all areas
    of the legs after every run, and after a cycling workout, or
    any activity that leaves my leg muscles feeling tight. it
    seems to be the imbalances that occur through running...
    those in varying muscle strength gained by different muscles
    and in the amount of tightness that occurs in them.

    oh yeah, and that Running Injury Free book is a good one...
    i swear by it, too. i have permanently bookmarked several
    pages in it.

    so take the time off NOW to recover from this, then learn
    and do lots of stretches and roll the tight muscles (deep
    massage) daily. this can ward off the ITBS. you may have
    little bouts with it, but the worst of it can be kept at bay
    if you are diligent. and FWIW, i also do some light
    stretches of the ITB and piriformis plus the large muscle
    groups PRE-run.

    hope this helps,

    Cam

  8. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (MB) wrote:

    > No advice, just here to commiserate. I recently was
    > diagnosed with the same problem. I had gotten up to 16
    > miles in training for a late spring marathon, but the pain
    > steadily increased, so I had to pull back. I haven't tried
    > to run in 6 days, per my doc's advice.
    >
    > I'm also frustrated with all the variables...I seem to
    > have several of them. My feet are kinda flat, my legs are
    > kinda bowed, I recently increased my mileage (tho not too
    > fast, I don't think), etc.
    >
    > This sucks.

    on the subject of mileage with this, i find that mileage
    doesn't really play a role for me. even a 6-10k run can do
    it sometimes.

    for me, it's all about keeping the muscles loose, and
    avoiding muscle strength imbalances that start to tighten up
    the ITB, etc, which in turn aggravates the knee.

    Cam

  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    After a few months, here's what's finally helped me (use at
    your own risk)... The IT Band connects at the top to the
    Tensor Fascia Lata muscle. Take a tennis ball, and lay
    sideways on it, with the ball between the top of your
    thighbone and your hip (kind of a meaty place). That's the
    TFL. Slowly move around on the ball until you find a spot
    that hurts; that's most probably a spasm that is tightening
    the TFL and pulling on the IT band. Stay on the spot for
    about a minute, applying as much pressure as you can stand,
    and you should feel it eventually start to release. Repeat a
    couple times a day, lightly stretching the IT Band/TFL
    afterward. If there is a spasm, stretching without releasing
    it won't really help, and will probably just tear more
    muscle fibers. I learned this from "The Pain-Free Runner",
    and it really helped after 3 months of no progress at all.
    Good luck.

    Hank wrote in message ...
    >Dear All, Just writing to solicit some advice from some of
    >you that may have experienced similar problems. I have been
    >running injury free for a while but recently (starting
    >about 2 weeks ago) had some pain on the side of my right
    >knee that feels like its an IT-Band problem. It hurts
    >rotating the knee through about 30 degrees from the
    >extended position and going down stairs was painful at its
    >worst. I took a week off an began running again. Little
    >pain during the easy, 20 minute run but the pain after
    >exercise came back again. Took another couple days off an
    >ran again today. Easy, 20 mins. And now, pain again, though
    >not as bad as before and now, about 9 hrs after my run, its
    >basically gone. I should say that I bought a new pair of
    >running shoes a few weeks ago. No big changes. Just went
    >from an old pair of Asics 2080s to some new 2090's. My
    >training loads have been constant over the past month or
    >two, definitely no increases in mileage or changes in
    >running surfaces or routes. I've been medicating as well,
    >therapeutic NSAIDS prn. I'm just afraid that I will take
    >another few days off and run, and then have the same
    >problem. I want to address the cause, but its difficult to
    >discern and it seems like I've attacked all the variables.
    >I've been stretching extra good too and trying to
    >strengthen my adductors. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Hank

  10. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Hank) wrote:

    > Thanks to all for all of the great advice. I have
    > committed myself to taking some serious time off. This
    > was something I had been planning on doing anyway, just
    > because I'm coming off 2 marathons since October and
    > I'd like to get some rest in before starting summer
    > training for another October 26.2. Initially I took
    > about 6 days off before running again. Maybe this
    > wasn't enough. Of course I've been icing and stretching
    > the hell out of the IT Band, and I just started getting
    > into the gym to strengthen my adductors. I'll let
    > everyone know how its going.
    >
    > Hank

    careful not to OVER stretch, too. every day is good... just
    watch that they are comfortable, not painful stretches.
    rolling/deep massage can work out the toughest knots.