It gets worse...

• Thread starter Nathaniel Porte
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
>
>A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in which a nine-year-old boy died
>is to have his sentence reduced.
>
><sigh> :-(

I tell you, if anyone seriously has an inkling to do away with someone over here in the UK, I
seriously doubt they'd ever get charged with murder or manslaughter if they used the car as the
means to the literal end. It stinks, it really does.

helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
>
> A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in which
a
> nine-year-old boy died is to have his sentence reduced.

Oddly enough there was a news item this evening in which a woman was jailed for 2 years after her
daughter and daughters friend died as a result of her bad driving. How is it that killing your
passengers is deserving of a stronger sentence than killing non-passengers?
--
Regards, Pete

In message <[email protected]>, Peter B <[email protected]> writes
>
>"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
>>
>> A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in which
>a
>> nine-year-old boy died is to have his sentence reduced.
>
>Oddly enough there was a news item this evening in which a woman was jailed for 2 years after her
>daughter and daughters friend died as a result of her bad driving. How is it that killing your
>passengers is deserving of a stronger sentence than killing non-passengers?

Because they were charged with different offences.

IIRC. the woman in the above case admitted Causing Death By Dangerous driving.

In the other case, the driver was not charged with that (or even driving without due care and
attention) - presumably because of lack of evidence?

He was only convicted of things like no insurance, leaving the scene of an accident - he was given a
greater sentence for those than he should have been apparently.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On 09 Feb 2004 18:52:17 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
>>
>>A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in which a nine-year-old boy
>>died is to have his sentence reduced.
>>
>><sigh> :-(
>
> I tell you, if anyone seriously has an inkling to do away with someone over here in the UK, I
> seriously doubt they'd ever get charged with murder or manslaughter if they used the car as the
> means to the literal end. It stinks, it really does.

I don't think this comment is fair. I'm sure that the police and CPS will charge people with
offences such as dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention etc if they have
sufficient evidence to have a reasonable chance of getting a conviction. In this case it seems they
didn't so they charged him with the offences he did commit ie leaving the scene and failing to
report an accident. The sentence was reduced because it was illegal.

Fortunately, we do live in a society where the onus of proof is on the prosecution and this has
protected very many people against miscarriages of justice.

I would rather live in a society where the occasional offender escaped punishment because of
insufficient evidence than one in which the prisons contain even more innocent people than
at present.
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:58:56 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Dirty arab b****** !! Get him out of this country now !
>
> Graham

You are Robert Kilroy Silk, and I claim my five pounds.

--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

> I don't think this comment is fair. I'm sure that the police and CPS will charge people with
> offences such as dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention etc if they have
> sufficient evidence to have a reasonable chance of getting a conviction. In this case it seems
> they didn't so they charged him with the offences he did commit ie leaving the scene and failing
> to report an accident. The sentence was reduced because it was illegal.
>
> Fortunately, we do live in a society where the onus of proof is on the prosecution and this has
> protected very many people against miscarriages
of
> justice.
>
> I would rather live in a society where the occasional offender escaped punishment because of
> insufficient evidence than one in which the prisons contain even more innocent people than at
> present.
> --
> Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
> trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

You are scum. I hope your child is next, then we'll see what you have to say.

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> On 09 Feb 2004 18:52:17 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
> >>
> >>A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in
which a
> >>nine-year-old boy died is to have his sentence reduced.
> >>
> >><sigh> :-(
> >
> > I tell you, if anyone seriously has an inkling to do away with someone
over
> > here in the UK, I seriously doubt they'd ever get charged with murder or manslaughter if they
> > used the car as the means to the literal end. It
stinks,
> > it really does.
>
> I don't think this comment is fair. I'm sure that the police and CPS will charge people with
> offences such as dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention etc if they have
> sufficient evidence to have a reasonable chance of getting a conviction. In this case it seems
> they didn't so they charged him with the offences he did commit ie leaving the scene and failing
> to report an accident. The sentence was reduced because it was illegal.
>
> Fortunately, we do live in a society where the onus of proof is on the prosecution and this has
> protected very many people against miscarriages
of
> justice.
>
> I would rather live in a society where the occasional offender escaped punishment because of
> insufficient evidence than one in which the prisons contain even more innocent people than at
> present.

In heavens above this low life runs a child down at 60-70 mph, doesn't stop beside his car having a
smashed windscreen and extensive damage to his bonnet., he then abandons the car and refuses to
admit to the crime for 2 days until the police find the car keys in his dustbin. Even then he gets
18months for passport offences and will get just 6 months for failing to stop after killing someone,
and all you can do is harp on about innocence and miscarriage of justice!!!!

Incredulous!!!

The only innocent was the poor child who was mown down by someone speeding, who had not passed a
driving test had no insurance and no road tax, who didn't have one shred of humanity or remorse in
his body. As if all these criminal offences aren't bad enough, I haven't even mentioned that the toe
rag was staying in this country illegally. I'd personally castrate the ******* with a blunt axe, so
society isn't poisoned more by off spring from this moron. I hope I get the chance to mow this toe
rag down when the scum gets out of prison. I hope you are in stood in front of him defending his
rights to kill more innocent kiddies.

Your stance to defend this low life makes me sick.

TR7 wrote:

> You are scum. I hope your child is next, then we'll see what you have to say.

Carefully balanced argument shows thought and perception - not. Do you read the Express or Mail by
any chance?
--
Take out the garbage to reply

Regards Tony Hogarty

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:24:08 +0000 (UTC), Peter B <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Oddly enough there was a news item this evening in which a woman was jailed for 2 years after her
> daughter and daughters friend died as a result of her bad driving.

While reading about this in the online Guardian today the advert placed alongside the headline was
for a Landrover, "Get up to speed on exciting adventures," it told me.

Colin
--

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:41:21 +0000, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 09 Feb 2004 18:52:17 GMT, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
>
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3473907.stm
>>>
>>>A man jailed for two years after leaving the scene of an accident in which a nine-year-old boy
>>>died is to have his sentence reduced.
>>>
>>><sigh> :-(
>>
>> I tell you, if anyone seriously has an inkling to do away with someone over here in the UK, I
>> seriously doubt they'd ever get charged with murder or manslaughter if they used the car as the
>> means to the literal end. It stinks, it really does.
>
>I don't think this comment is fair. I'm sure that the police and CPS will charge people with
>offences such as dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention etc if they have
>sufficient evidence to have a reasonable chance of getting a conviction.

I've delved into this recently. The CPS guidelines (see their website) require two criteria to be
met before pursuing a prosecution; evidential and public interest. Public interest in this context
means the degree of seriousness that society views the offence.

alledged attacker and victim as witnesses and a limited amount of physical evidence. A car crash
with no third party witnesses but rapid police presence and an amount of physical evidence;
wreckage, skid marks etc.

Because the CPS sees the former incident as serious and prosecution as being, therefore, in the
public interest it will prosecute on a much weaker evidential basis than with a motoring offence
which the CPS believes that society does not rate as serious.

The problem really lies with getting the CPS to treat careless/dangerous driving offences as
seriously as violence against the person.

I've been through both these scenarios as a victim. The time I was assaulted the police put a *lot*
of effort into finding the nutter who duffed me up and prosecution was almost automatic.

When I was run over 2 months ago, the facts that police were on the scene within 5 minutes, an
admission of fault was made and that the physical damage could have only resulted from utterly shite
driving were, to the CPS, insufficient evidence.

What hacks me off is that the assault resulted in pretty minor injuries and I'd have been extremely
unlikely to end up permanently injured or dead. OTOH, I've just been told that my car smashed arm
and shoulder won't be fixed for a year and will probably never be as good as new. I'm also bloody
lucky to be here at all.

>In this case it seems they didn't so they charged him with the offences he did commit ie leaving
>the scene and failing to report an accident. The sentence was reduced because it was illegal.
>
>Fortunately, we do live in a society where the onus of proof is on the prosecution and this has
>protected very many people against miscarriages of justice.

Agreed. As I say, the fault is with the CPS.

>I would rather live in a society where the occasional offender escaped punishment because of
>insufficient evidence than one in which the prisons contain even more innocent people than
>at present.

"TR7" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Please feel free to post again when you are capable of making a grown-up contribution.

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:

> "TR7" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> You are scum. I hope your child is next, then we'll see what you have to say.
>
> Please feel free to post again when you are capable of making a grown-up contribution.
>

It'll be a long wait I suspect.
--
Take out the garbage to reply

Regards Tony Hogarty

"TR7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Interesting. Are you some sort of 70's timewarp?

Wasn't britain a wonderful place when locking up all sorts of people didn't really need silly little
things like evidence if their face fitted the crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.