It had to happen

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. My first broken spoke in over 25 years of cycling. One front spoke on
    the 'bent, broken off at the Danny[1] while going over a particularly
    vicious speed ramp. Bah! A handbuilt wheel, too, but of course the
    angles are a bit tight on 406 rims even with cross two lacing.

    [1] yes, nipple.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  2. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > My first broken spoke in over 25 years of cycling. One front spoke on
    > the 'bent, broken off at the Danny[1] while going over a particularly
    > vicious speed ramp. Bah! A handbuilt wheel, too, but of course the
    > angles are a bit tight on 406 rims even with cross two lacing.
    >
    > [1] yes, nipple.

    Fonr wheel on the Speedmachine has been doing a bit of that recently, for no
    readily-apparent reason. Wheel has done 10,000 miles in 3.5 years, so why
    it should choose to start now is a mystery.

    Bah encore!

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  3. Fonr? BLEAN! I meant "Front", obv.

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  4. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Dave
    Larrington <[email protected]> gently breathed:

    >Fonr wheel on the Speedmachine has been doing a bit of that recently, for no
    >readily-apparent reason. Wheel has done 10,000 miles in 3.5 years, so why
    >it should choose to start now is a mystery.

    Metal fatigue setting in?

    NP: Within Temptation - Gatekeeper
    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:
    > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Dave
    > Larrington <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >
    >> Fonr wheel on the Speedmachine has been doing a bit of that
    >> recently, for no readily-apparent reason. Wheel has done 10,000
    >> miles in 3.5 years, so why it should choose to start now is a
    >> mystery.

    > Metal fatigue setting in?

    Exactly.

    The bump from the speed ramp, in Guy's case, was probably just the final
    straw.

    ~PB

  6. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Pete Biggs
    <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> gently breathed:

    [ metal fatigue causing random spoke failure after 10,000 miles ]

    >Exactly.
    >
    >The bump from the speed ramp, in Guy's case, was probably just the final
    >straw.

    You know there's probably an idea in there somewhere about whether or
    not it would be theoretically possible to make bicycle spokes out of
    straw, but having seen where the last innocent comment on wheel
    technology I made led, I really think I'm not going to go there...
    :)

    NP: Within Temptation - Overcome.
    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
    http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic Revival.

  7. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My first broken spoke in over 25 years of cycling. One front spoke on
    > the 'bent, broken off at the Danny[1] while going over a particularly
    > vicious speed ramp. Bah! A handbuilt wheel, too, but of course the
    > angles are a bit tight on 406 rims even with cross two lacing.
    >
    > [1] yes, nipple.
    >
    > Guy
    > --
    > May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
    >
    > 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

    I've noticed that when spokes do break it's always on the cassette side of
    rear wheel making replacement extra tricky. This must be related to the
    theory governing which side down a piece of buttered toast lands when you
    drop it.

  8. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've noticed that when spokes do break it's always on the cassette side of
    > rear wheel making replacement extra tricky. This must be related to the
    > theory governing which side down a piece of buttered toast lands when you
    > drop it.

    Boringly, that's just because they're the ones which are under most stress
    (and liable to chain damage).

    cheers,
    clive

  9. >> I've noticed that when spokes do break it's always on the cassette
    >> side of rear wheel making replacement extra tricky. This must be
    >> related to the theory governing which side down a piece of buttered
    >> toast lands when you drop it.

    > Boringly, that's just because they're the ones which are under most
    > stress (and liable to chain damage).

    And regards bread, it's 'cos the buttered side is heavier, and possibly
    something to do with the height of tables as well.

    Ignoring the 'scientific' theories and throwing in a load of cats, you can
    quite easily make a perpetual motion device:

    "When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is
    dropped, it always lands buttered side down. It was proposed to strap giant
    slabs of hot buttered toast to the back of a hundred tethered cats; the two
    opposing forces will cause the cats to hover, spinning inches above the
    ground. Using the giant buttered toast/cat array, a high-speed monorail
    could easily link New York with Chicago."

    Of course that requires cats with good luck, and toast with bad luck. How
    do we find these? Well it all depends on astrology and when the toast can
    be considered 'born'.

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:

    > And regards bread, it's 'cos the buttered side is heavier, and possibly
    > something to do with the height of tables as well.

    It is entirely to do with the height of the table.

    ...d

    --
    This is my signature

  11. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as David
    Martin <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >Mark Thompson wrote:

    >> And regards bread, it's 'cos the buttered side is heavier, and possibly
    >> something to do with the height of tables as well.

    >It is entirely to do with the height of the table.

    I thought it was the lower drag of the buttered side in the air as it
    falls?

    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
    http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic Revival.

  12. On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:55:29 +0100, "Clive George"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Boringly, that's just because they're the ones which are under most stress
    >(and liable to chain damage).

    So I would have thought, dish related. But my breakage was on the
    undished side of the wheel, which was a surprise.

    I have a dished front wheel due to disc brakes.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  13. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:55:29 +0100, "Clive George"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>Boringly, that's just because they're the ones which are under most stress
    >>(and liable to chain damage).

    So it might seem....

    > So I would have thought, dish related. But my breakage was on the
    > undished side of the wheel, which was a surprise.

    Not a surprise if you read The Bicycle Wheel by your friend J. Brandt.

    > I have a dished front wheel due to disc brakes.

    Wishy washy chains of cause and effect aren't normally associated
    with the name of Guy.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  14. On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:20:50 +0200, Mark South
    <[email protected]>:

    >> So I would have thought, dish related. But my breakage was on the
    >> undished side of the wheel, which was a surprise.

    >Not a surprise if you read The Bicycle Wheel by your friend J. Brandt.

    Was that the one it was standing on, then? ;-)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  15. David waters

    David waters Guest

    Pyromancer wrote:
    > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as David
    > Martin <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >
    >> Mark Thompson wrote:

    >>> And regards bread, it's 'cos the buttered side is heavier, and possibly
    >>> something to do with the height of tables as well.

    >> It is entirely to do with the height of the table.

    > I thought it was the lower drag of the buttered side in the air as it
    > falls?

    I think it is. but the height of the table is such that it can rotate
    180 degrees from buttered side up (on the table) to butter side down (on
    the floor). If the table was infinitely high, the buttered toast would
    spin as it descended.

  16. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> whizzed past me
    shouting
    >My first broken spoke in over 25 years of cycling.

    That's an achievement, I've broken a few in 30 years and I don't ride
    hard. Ray the Dentist broke two on today's CTC ride, in the middle of a
    harmless looking wood. I never got round to finding out how he managed
    it, because of the distraction of a runaway horse.

    --
    Sue ];:))

    What goes down must come up again - other than runaway horses