It is mountain bike for me

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
A colleague in the office asked me what I would choose between an ordinary mountain bike or a fancy racer. I prefer the mountain bike with standard tires because I feel safer. Maybe it is psychological with the wider tires unlike the petite tires of a racer bike. Besides, I am not racing and my riding is just for leisure and exercise.

A colleague in the office asked me what I would choose between an ordinary mountain bike or a fancy racer. I prefer the mountain bike with standard tires because I feel safer. Maybe it is psychological with the wider tires unlike the petite tires of a racer bike. Besides, I am not racing and my riding is just for leisure and exercise.

Me too. I'm more about casual rides. I probably won't even consider joining any racing because I find it too stressful. Elderly people are better off just having fun and taking things slow.

Reactions: Corzhens
If I remember your budget is low, if this is true than stay away from any bike that has a suspension frame or suspension fork, get a rigid mountain bike, their cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain. Ideally if you want some limited suspension a fat tire bike would be the way to go but they are more sluggish on roads and going up hills, but they can go into loose dirt, snow an loose gravel that most MTB's cannot travel on, plus they are comfortable to ride due to the low inflation pressures taking up a lot of shock. But it sounds like most of what you'll be doing is roads and maybe hard packed dirt so a non suspension mtb is perfect.

A fair choice, indeed. I can see how the wider tires of a mountain bike would make you feel safer, and for recreational riding, it's a sensible option. However, let me ask, have you tried out slick tires on your mountain bike? They can provide a smoother ride, similar to a racer bike, but still maintain the stability of a mountain bike. Just a thought to consider. #bikeenthusiast #safetyfirst