It shall be mine!

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
So...the pro's are using these? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MUAUJM?tag=price106300d-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

71fCsaEBWFL._SL1500_.jpg

160 PSI...now where did I put my stash of Schrader-to-Presta adapters?

I must have one!

ack!

There was pic on CN today that showed some FDJ mechanique using the Break & ****'er unit on the team bikes. Who knew.

I keep a 12V compressor in every vehicle. They have only saved me once, but what a save it was! Car had a medium-speed leak and was flat as a pancake when I got back to the vehicle after a long ride with The Boy Wonder. I was cooked and loading my bike took effort...

I plugged the compressor in and sat back in the air conditioning, enjoying a Gatorade while the tire filled to 50 PSI for the drive back home!

I think one more portable compressor that goes to 160 PSI (or at least high enough for Pro Tour use) is a good thing to have around.

Oh yes! It shall be mine!

I've keep inflators in all my cars and have done so for years, and yup, used them to inflate my bike tires using a converter when I needed to fill a presta tube. Except mine are cheap plug into a cigarette lighter type that cost maybe $20 to $30 at Walmart, so for the price of the one the OP mentions you can buy 2 and have money left over.

Of course if you really want to be prepared, why not buy combination inflator and jump starter for your car for just another $20? See: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J5C09...r=8-1&keywords=tire+inflator+and+jump+starter Of course those batteries don't last forever, maybe 5 years if you're lucky thus requiring the purchase of another unit.

I'm all for these gadgets and it does look pretty good but I wouldn't be able to justify spending £40/$57 on something I would only use to do my bike & car with when I already have a footpump that works just as well.

Might consider it as a present for my dad though...

I'm all for these gadgets and it does look pretty good but I wouldn't be able to justify spending £40/$57 on something I would only use to do my bike & car with when I already have a footpump that works just as well.

Might consider it as a present for my dad though...

A foot or hand pump does indeed work just as well, the only reason I carry a inflator in my car is in case I have a slow leak in one of my car tires I can reinflate it and drive someplace to get it fixed which means the pumps rarely gets used which is why I bought cheap ones.

Reactions: steve
A foot or hand pump does indeed work just as well, the only reason I carry a inflator in my car is in case I have a slow leak in one of my car tires I can reinflate it and drive someplace to get it fixed which means the pumps rarely gets used which is why I bought cheap ones, I really don't see the need for a more expensive one.

Of course those batteries don't last forever, maybe 5 years if you're lucky thus requiring the purchase of another unit.

I had a couple of those. A ChinaMart (Harbor Freight) brand and a Coleman (also Chinese ****). One had a built-in compressor and the other one did not. Neither lasted three Winters before the batteries were toast.

In theory they could be a lifesaver though. Another drawback was their weight. A friend had one go flying around in his trunk and it dented the rear quarter panel. Nice! I secured mine with a tarp strap an it froze and leaked on the trunk liner tray. No harm, just hit the car was and the 55-gallon trash can.

I've been back to 4-gauge jumper cables and the kindness of strangers for a few years now...and yes, I had two $125 batteries take a **** on me in last Winter's insane cold and snow!

One died in the driveway and the other crapped out just as I left the driveway at zero dark thirty and turned onto the road!!! I had to coast the Jeep off the road and into a 3' deep snow drift. The Jeep had been started and warmed up for 20 minutes! Talk about ****** off! And when I got back with a new battery in hand I had to stand in that deep snow in MINUS SIX DEGREE air with a wind chill that is too painful to remember and swap batteries. FML!

The Black & Decker AirStations (they make several models) are going to be Mexican or Chicom junk, too. No lifetime investment, for sure. But, they are compact and light weight. I, too, currently have the $15-$20 Menard's Chicom 12V cigarette lighter compressors. Cheap, compact, slow to inflate, but very nice to have when Mr. Inside Air decides to take a hike.

These compressors sure make setting the bead on tubeless tires a lot easier. I have a Smittybuilt compressor that I keep in my off road rig to airdown on the serious stuff; the Smittys serves double duty on bicycle tires when seating the beads.

A foot or hand pump does indeed work just as well, the only reason I carry a inflator in my car is in case I have a slow leak in one of my car tires I can reinflate it and drive someplace to get it fixed which means the pumps rarely gets used which is why I bought cheap ones.

It's similar with what I've started doing in my car however I take a small foot pump and if I have any problems I pump I over inflate it a little while I get to the nearest place I can get it fixed.

No clue what was in mine, Froze. I couldn't tell you if it was an SLA, AGM or GEL battery, but it had a fluid in it that got on my truck liner. Looking at eBay, there are a lot of plain old SLA battery replacement units for booster packs.