it was a rough and sad day

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by oznation, Sep 19, 2004.

1. oznation

oznation New Member

:( i had just gotten off a bike path going home today and a dog ran after me and bit my shoe and i slammed on my brakes and i flipped over and the rear rim is now bent. i went to the house where the dog came from and the people were very nice about it after i said you can either pay for it or i can press charges and since it was off your property that makes it worse and plus since we live in a small town and my dads a fireman and knows everyone in town it wil be pretty easy to make you guys look bad for having this type of dog next to a bike path! As soon as i said that she was like oh! ok well how much will it cost to get fixed and im like im not sure since i just bought the bike last night it hopefully will be under warranty (which i really did buy it last night) so i got her name and number and im going to call my lbs and see if they can fix it under warranty if not she pays for my stuff or gets charged.

Tags:

2. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

It appears you've lost your ability to use punctuation as well- a sad day indeed!

3. gruppo

gruppo New Member

I am ROFLMAO!

4. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

ouch. glad your ok.

i fell as well on sunday.

i was practicing my cyclocross dismounts. i was riding in the road when it occured.

I unclipped my right foot and brought it over the top tube. now my body is all on the left side of the bike. this is usually when i twist out of my left pedal, shoulder the bike, and run.
    unfortunately, for some bizarre reason my left pedal didn't let go of me :(
    i tumbled down, hard, and bounced a few times. my face is all torn up, as is my right arm and both knees. i spent a night in front of the tv picked pebbles out of my wounds. back to the grass for me and my shoddy mounts/dismounts :(

5. rollers

rollers New Member

Up until this sad turn of events, when would you say was your last period?

6. oznation

oznation New Member

lol i have never had a period lol

7. rollers

rollers New Member

Outstanding! You are truly good natured.

OK, all kidding aside, please let us know how it turns out with your wheel. We are all pulling for you to get it fixed without going into your own pocket.

8. oznation

oznation New Member

Thanks rollers, I went to my lbs last night after i weas done at my soccer practice and they said its going to be about $55 to get a new rim. They were even nice enough to not charge me for labor since i just bought the bike and the owner of the store felt sorry for me lol. The lady who owns the dog is paying for it so I will keep you posted on how things turn out from here!!!

9. rollers

rollers New Member

Just a thought, but while you're replacing your rim you might consider getting something a little more dog proof. Consult with your LBS about options for your combination of rding style and budget. They may have a recommendation for you that will increase comfort and durability without breaking the bank.

10. Binge

Binge New Member

Sounds like Sunday was a bad day for cyclists. Less than five minutes into my ride Sunday morning, I hear POW! and had a blowout on my front tire. :eek:

Everything went into slo-mo, I was thinking "Ohhhhhhh ssshhhhiiiiiii-" BOOM! I go down hard, at about 20mph. Fortunately, I'm okay (just some rash) and we were able to limp back to the house.

The formerly-brand new bike (less than 40 hours in my possession) is pretty scraped up, but otherwise fine. I have subsequently slimed my tubes and upgraded to the kevlar tires, so hopefully it won't happen again. My LBS was nice enough to slime 'em and do the labor for free, and gave me a break on the new tires as well.

I highly recommend upgrading your tires if you're still on the stockers. I've been crashing all my life, so I've gotten quite good at it, but I wouldn't wish that kind of blowout on anyone.

11. oznation

oznation New Member

yeah well the thing is i have rode mt. bikes for years around my neighborhood and never once have been even growled at on a bike. i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. but good news is they will have my bike fixed in about 3 days depending on the shipping of the rim!! its gonna cost me 55$ for the rim and they said since i just got the bike they wont charge me for labor which i thought was really nice of them!!!!!

12. oztrev

oztrev New Member

Glad you're ok :).

I have a similar story to you. I picked up my new road bike last Friday, and on Monday I got hit by a car making a left turn at an intersection that I was travelling straight through. I'm ok save for a couple of grazes, and sore neck & back. As for the bike, a spoke on the rear wheel bent, and the rear derailleur broke. All fixed now with my LBS only charging for the parts. He also gave me a 10% discount. If I wasn't a life long customer before (I was), I certainly am now!

13. oznation

oznation New Member

well yes thats true about the lifelong customer. well i have to be to my lbs because the closest bike sjhop is 20 minutes away and that is the one i go to.