It was warm enough to ride today!

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
Finally the weather cooperated today and we had 63 degree weather and no wind! Nearly all of the blizzard has melted. Off the rollers and into the street:p! Got 23 miles before it started getting too dark to be safe. Darn sun has to set sometime I guess. I'll be back on the rollers tomorrow and Saturday though as rain is expected and the temperature is dropping again. I am so looking forward to Spring! Anybody have any good tips for getting a muddy, salty streak off of the back of a yellow jersey?

Well it looks like just a little north of you we have got to wait another few weeks. But it sure is going to be messy with all the tons of salt put down. Longest winter season I've seen in almost thirty years.

I agree Velo. The big snow arrived where I live around Nov 20 (had flakes much earlier though). Except for a brief thaw in January, this means we've had snow on the ground for almost 4 months, and I'm pretty sure it will be almost 5 months before it all melts away.

Long long winter this year.

Yojimbo_ said:
I agree Velo. The big snow arrived where I live around Nov 20 (had flakes much earlier though). Except for a brief thaw in January, this means we've had snow on the ground for almost 4 months, and I'm pretty sure it will be almost 5 months before it all melts away.

Long long winter this year.
In contrast, in upstate NY, temperatures were normal in December, January was 3 C above normal, Feb was about 0.5 C above normal and March has been 0.5 C below normal to date. Overall snowfall for winter is about normal. Strange how there are such big changes over just a couple of hundred km.

Nice on Wednesday, temp in the mid fifties. Drizzly rain most of yesterday. Woke up to snow this morning. Rats!:mad:
I asked my wife why we live in northern Utah; she says it's because we are stupid!:)

yeah, gettin nicer here, almost time to ride, still a bit too cold out and WAY to much salt on the road

A blizzard. Even though you can't bike in them. I love them. The warm weather obviously is better but blizzards are still fun.

It's summer time here. Weather has been great for the past couple of weeks and am enjoying spending more time outdoors. Apart from a few strong gust winds, don't have much reason to complain. Planning on doing some out-of-town cycling over this coming weekend. Just hoping I won't have to deal with any strong rainfalls.

Officially it's winter here in Ireland now.
And our clocks went back two weeks ago

But the weather has been really mild (mid teens celsius) and dry since, which is great.
It means two less weeks of winter and we are two weeks closer to Spring :)

Glad you got some good weather! I'm dreading winter, mainly because we get a lot of slick ice around my area. Still, there's worse things. Right now it's mainly just grey and rainy in my area.

Well, the weather today is wet, windy and slightly cold. I do not mind the rain and I do not mind the cold, it's just the bloody wind I hate.

Looks like today I'll be spending it doing some housework and some bike maintenance instead.

Feeling quite smug these days here in Slovenia (that's the country between Venice and Vienna) - we've been having nothing but sun and high teens the throughout all this week and it looks like one more to come. Also got my new bike in a couple of days ago, perfect timing. :)

Only problem is that it gets dark before 5 pm... I went out at 10.30 on thursday, had to test the newcomer. Came back just as the sun set over the hills in the middle of the afternoon.

I'm a little jealous if I'm honest! Thanks to the jet stream this windy weather we've been having is set to continue well into next week :(

Get some LED lights on your new steed and it should lighten your way significantly during these early evenings :)

Right now the weather is unpredictable as it's the hurricane season which will end this month. Then hopefully I can get out whenever I want to enjoy a beautiful day.

^Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Over here there's a little rest bite between weather systems. Only a day before the next one is said to move in, so today seems to be the the better chance to get out for a ride around and this is exactly what I will do later.

Susimi said:
^Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Over here there's a little rest bite between weather systems. Only a day before the next one is said to move in, so today seems to be the the better chance to get out for a ride around and this is exactly what I will do later.
I'm from the Caribbean, Jamaica to be axact. We don't have trails in my area but that doesn't stop anyone from enjoying cycling. Some persons even ride as their only means of transportation, which I think is very independent of them.

There have been actually a couple of very warms day even though it is already November. However the weather doesn't matter if you have suitable clothing.

I enjoy riding outdoors even when the temps are in the 20s. What do I wear? I start by consulting the thermometer outside my window and the weather forecast. I then select clothing based on the current conditions and then forecast high and hedge my bets in case the forecast is wrong. As a rule of thumb if I'm warm enough when I throw my leg over the top tube then I'm overdressed because I'll generate heat as I ride
I pay particular attention to the forecast for wind. The breeze we generate while riding cools us in the summer, but chills us in the winter! Even with no wind, riding at 15 miles per hour at 40 degrees Fahrenheit the effective temperature is 32 degrees. To determine the wind chill consult the National Weather Service's

Riding my bike around when it's sunny it's the best feeling for me. I always feel super motivated when It's sun outside it's like I get way stronger and can go way more.